By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Forum Changes

1. Well if you are adding more chart data that sounds great, I'm not sure how you are going to utilize them but with the current drop down boxes on the home/index page I had some difficulty finding hardware as apposed to software data and it took some trial and error to navigate the site. Organizing the menus once things are changed would be nice, and including drop down menus for forums so people can jump straight to my topics/hot topics/sub-forums.

2. Keep a few sub forums. Jay520 makes a great point. Eliminating them entirely will only remove this feature from those that use it. I agree that a tag search feature would drastically improve navigating threads, but no reason to remove sub forums. Though my topics/VGChartz Buddy is a great way to maintain current interests, the additional ability to favorite/unfavorite a thread might be useful.

3. Jay520 said that including an invisible like button on posts would be acceptable. I agree. Invisible likes could serve as a testing scale for users and the likes could add to their point totals serving as a form of generating "respect"; though that might not be the perceived effect of points, it is easier than implementing an additional system to showcase "respect". Having the typical like/dislike buttons completely open will be abused as they are on almost every site that utilizes them, even if it is only a like button.

4. Adding colors to the sales data according to platform might be nice, as long as it is readable. And for that matter the current font/style of the software/hardware sales data is not very readable. I suggest experimenting with fonts/colors until something works. I mean, what is that Italics?

5. Recent badges and currently playing under profile pics are not that necessary and I've seen currently playing used as fuel for attacking credibility.

6. Wall content. I do not frequent walls, but if content is bothering users in the form of pictures and videos I would look into fixing that. We wouldn't want walls to turn into MySpace. Signatures can get a little out of hand too with size, and I'm detecting Malware from the content certain users have on their signatures.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

^ At jemc, if you are talking bout gamewise, it is a whole other site completely. No reason that we cannot keep vgchartz property here. What you have there must be an older plan. Probably from ioi's original stickied thread.

Yes, it's from ioi's thread and no, I don't know if the plans have changed.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

It would be most beneficial, to me anyway, to have Expandable/Collapsible buttons on the main page with at least 5 trending topics within the respective specific forums, with at least 5 stickies above.

Expandable/Collapsible is so that a member can have an option to not view a topic this wish not see; on that note, have such feature savable.

Also, I too agree that NSFW should not appear on the front page.

In addition, many, with I included, would like to reduce clutter and prevent multiple same topics, I would then suggest to statically keep the headline/topic located in the top section in a thread.

KylieDog said:
Gonna single this issue out in its own post.

A 'Like' button.

The major benefit to this is a single post that makes a certain statement, if 200 people agree with it they can just click 'like' then everyone can see 200 people agreed with that post. Currently 200 people would need reply to the post to agree with it, and most people do not bother and people would not want to read pages of "I agree". Everyone needs see the likes to know how many agree.

What you must NOT do with a like button:

- No reputation system, result will be people spamming popular opinions trying to get likes, ends up as spam and detracts from forum.
- No record/count of the likes ANYWHERE outside the individual post (this includes trying to add a '1000 likes' type website badge), it is for people to agree with a single post and make it visible for all, nothing else. If a count is kept anywhere, reputation system problem.
- No moving posts about based on number of likes.
- No dislike button, and no hiding posts. Internet has proven it cannot use dislike buttons properly.

I'd say only the liker and 'likee' can see the like. Everyone else doesn't have to know that Mark has been liked. There is no benefit to it. It could cause trouble though, if one controversial post gets a lot of likes, then half of the site is offended and that could cause a host of problems. It's better if only the person liked knew he was liked. (and the liker of course)

Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:
Stronger rules! Meaner rules! Harder and faster rules!

In terms of forum setup I don't have a ton of opinions

Just forum policy

What would you change about the rules? Be tougher on spam and obvious trolls?

You said a while back that you had ideas. I wanna hear some!

I'm the guy who spurgeonryan's whole "Don't listen to the veterans!" thing is about, because I stand against everything he stands for

The idea is that the rules of the forum, as much as the mechanics of it, will greatly shape the kind of discussion had therein.

A few ideas:

1. Much harder cracking down on trolls. One would not, for instance, go into a Valkyria Chronicles topic and go "Man VC just ain't that great, geez." That's trolling, even if subtle by this site's standards. It's another thing entirely if one is in a Fire Emblem topic and goes "Man Fire Emblem is way better than VC, geez." That's at elast context-appropriate, and isn't in the middle of a crowd that is going to want to fight you for saying that. Same concept applies to trolling hardware or companies. Away you go!

2. Crack down on spammers. Make them hurt. Is that by banning spammers? No. You just take away the venues by which they spam, which means No More Spam-Ass Forum Games. The Person Above You and Elimination Threads, specifically, would need to be destroyed. Keep the Mafia games, or other games which are actually constructive games that promote discussion, but they need to be cordoned off from the main topic forums. There would be no exceptions to this.

3. One game, one thread. We do not need multiple topics about, for example, TANK! TANK! TANK!. They could all fit in one thread. Same with ME3, or Zelda, or Fire Emblem. The same could be used to talk about larger collections - M.U.G.E.N.'s Vita thread is the perfect example of this at work. Long thread, perfectly civil, has all the information one could want, plenty of good discussion, and people are glad to share news with someone instead of makign them search for a specific post. Have a Vita thread. Have a Resistance thread. Do not have more than one of each. Duplicate threads would be locked. Repeated offenders would be banned.

4. Enhanced moderator accountability. The moderators need to be policed by the administrators in the same way regular users are policed by the mods. Now, admins are there primarily to support the mods, but they're also there to review complaints and make sure that no mod is overstepping their bounds. If they are, they get their shit kicked out. Moderators would not be elevated to that status because they are friends of current moderators, they would get the job because they seem like the best pick, and they have the right combination of friendliness and ambivalence. This enhanced accountability would be necessary, because:

5. Enhanced moderator discretion. "Trolling" is fuzzy as a concept and no hard-and-fast definition will catch all of it, except for maybe "Being as big an asshole as possible without technically breaking the rules". It's up to the mods to decide what trollign is, and it's up to the mods to ban the Hell out of trolls.

6. A definite, concrete limit on sig sizes. For instance, one would be allowed no more than one image totalling less than 150 pixels in height and 600 in width - or probably smaller. One would not have a block of text larger than such an image. Users who break this rule get their sigs turned off. ALSO NO GIFS ABOVE A CERTAIN KB SIZE.

There are other changes I might make, but those are the primary tenets right there

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Actually if RolStoppable or another active veteran who knows what has been going on this past year would come in here and give their two cents It would hold more weight. Just like some other members who are gone now you are toooooooooo one sided, and not willing to make any concessions. You all ( along with Nordlead) had years of molding this site how you wanted it and it failed! The evidence is right there. Most old members left before any of the new members or lax rules started, even before gamrrewards or myself. So your theory is like a bucket with holes...understand where I am going with this? You all had years!!!! to push your agenda and the site became less and less popular.

^_^ pats khuut little khuutra on the head and sends him on his way back to gaf ^_^

Appealing specifically to existent userbases leads in more specialized content over time, which is fine for the people it's meant for but also inevitably leads to a contraction of the population as the problem is more exacerbated.

It has already happened here, and it will continue to happen so long as this forum does anything besides trying to encourage the best discussions that it is possibel to encourage. It's not about bringing old members back, spurge, it is about bringing in new members who enjoy good conversations and will contribute to discussions in a constructive way.

Your method will lead to further degeneration and contraction, in that order.

I agree with Kyliedog on the spoiler tags and multiquote feature. I want a convenient way to tag spoilers; not having to type out the whole HTML code to tag a few words here and there.

Also, less sub-forums.

pezus said:
Mirson said:

I agree with Kyliedog on the spoiler tags and multiquote feature. I want a convenient way to tag spoilers; not having to type out the whole HTML code to tag a few words here and there.

Also, less sub-forums.

Spoiler tags already exist...

Where? I don't see it.

pezus said:

Just making a mobile version of the site would be much better than cracking even more down on sigs and avatars. Don't try to limit everything, some like how it is currently.

I disagree with Khuutra about some things in his long post above. Especially the "One game. One thread." idea. Sure, it's okay to have a few of those but how are users who don't frequent the site going to know when we learn something new about the particular game that thread is about? Individual topics for major announcements should definitely stay.

We can edit thread titles for just this reason, mon frer

KylieDog said:
Jay520 said:
KylieDog said:
Gonna single this issue out in its own post.

A 'Like' button.

The major benefit to this is a single post that makes a certain statement, if 200 people agree with it they can just click 'like' then everyone can see 200 people agreed with that post. Currently 200 people would need reply to the post to agree with it, and most people do not bother and people would not want to read pages of "I agree". Everyone needs see the likes to know how many agree.

What you must NOT do with a like button:

- No reputation system, result will be people spamming popular opinions trying to get likes, ends up as spam and detracts from forum.
- No record/count of the likes ANYWHERE outside the individual post (this includes trying to add a '1000 likes' type website badge), it is for people to agree with a single post and make it visible for all, nothing else. If a count is kept anywhere, reputation system problem.
- No moving posts about based on number of likes.
- No dislike button, and no hiding posts. Internet has proven it cannot use dislike buttons properly.

I'd say only the liker and 'likee' can see the like. Everyone else doesn't have to know that Mark has been liked. There is no benefit to it.

The entire point is for everyone to see if a post is agreed with by many people.  It is just a quick and easy version of quoting a post and typing "I agree".

The point is to inform the poster that he made a good post. It's not to let everyone else know that you liked his post. The potential bad from this outweighs the potential good. It's better just to allow only the liker and the person being liked to see the like.