By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Forum Changes

Khuutra said:
pezus said:

Just making a mobile version of the site would be much better than cracking even more down on sigs and avatars. Don't try to limit everything, some like how it is currently.

I disagree with Khuutra about some things in his long post above. Especially the "One game. One thread." idea. Sure, it's okay to have a few of those but how are users who don't frequent the site going to know when we learn something new about the particular game that thread is about? Individual topics for major announcements should definitely stay.

We can edit thread titles for just this reason, mon frer

There are obvious downsides to this like when the thread starter has a lot of information and can only fit so much in the title. Or when one piece of information is ignored because everyone else in the thread is talking about other things. It's simply less focused. If something fairly exciting about the Vita comes out, people should be allowed to make a thread on it. It'll allow for focused discussion on that one topic and people can find the info in the OP, easily.

Around the Network
pezus said:

Highlight the words you want to hide, press the "Styles" box (top right) and select Spoiler. Voila!

All this time and I had no idea that was there. Thanks for letting me know about it.

What is really exciting enough outside of games being announced, which would warrant a new thread anyway?

What news is so major it couldn't be added to the OP?

We currently work in a system where news is buried in a deluge of other, equally unimportant news. My alternative is a better system with more focus and discussion on particular topics.

pezus said:

Highlight the words you want to hide, press the "Styles" box (top right) and select Spoiler. Voila!

Oh....cool. Thanks!

Another thing, put a limit or trim it down on the quote trees. VGChartz is the worst offender of this; I sometimes see chains of 6 quotes or more in one post.. The limit in GameSpot is 4; once someone quotes a post that already has a chain of four quotes, the quote on the very top gets automatically deleted.

Khuutra said:
What is really exciting enough outside of games being announced, which would warrant a new thread anyway?

We currently work in a system where news is buried in a deluge of other, equally unimportant news. My alternative is a better system with more focus and discussion on particular topics.

I have an answer to your question, but I'll just say that this is really about rules & mod action, so it really doesn't have to do with the Forum format. I don't want to get off topic.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Khuutra said:

Such threads would just move way too fast for the less hardcore users to follow. Better to have more threads with less posts so the user can decide what he wants to read. Some might not be interested in multiplayer but when they check out the ME3 thread they might have to wade through ~200 posts about the MP before getting to the stuff they want to read!

THis is true for any discussion about any game, and if they want to discuss something else it's as easy as participating.

This forum isn't about browsing, it's about conversing. Good discussion makes for good reading, period.

PSwii60 said:

It would be most beneficial, to me anyway, to have Expandable/Collapsible buttons on the main page with at least 5 trending topics within the respective specific forums, with at least 5 stickies above.

Expandable/Collapsible is so that a member can have an option to not view a topic this wish not see; on that note, have such feature savable.

Also, I too agree that NSFW should not appear on the front page.

In addition, many, with I included, would like to reduce clutter and prevent multiple same topics, I would then suggest to statically keep the headline/topic located in the top section in a thread.

I would also like to add a simple 'Search' function within a thread with the ability to use wildcards such as question mark, asterisk, etc. This would allow us if we were looking for a specific info within a specific topic within a thread.

pezus said:
Khuutra said:

THis is true for any discussion about any game, and if they want to discuss something else it's as easy as participating.

This forum isn't about browsing, it's about conversing. Good discussion makes for good reading, period.

As much as I'd like to think that would work, I don't. Look at the posts/views per thread. There are hundreds who don't post but like to read the stuff. I think we have a good balance right now, mods just need to be a bit harsher on duplicate threads.

I don't expect that any of my suggestions will be implemented to any degree

But I firmly believe I would be proven right

Khuutra, how is this trolling to say "I DOnt like a game'??? everyone can share they opinion.

Basically all the new sub categories you added way back when, Mobile, MMO, Movies Music etc, back when it was JUST Gaming, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Sales, Website and Off topic that's all you really need. I say bring it back to what it use to be and add one more forum called "Chain threads", this would be where all the "post why you hate the person above you", or "post something about the person above you" threads can go, basically all these spam threads can go in one  forum and it'll clean up the Off topics section tremendously. I'm also always confused where I would post stuff about users, it's not exactly off topic but it's kinda website related, maybe make a forum dedicated to the threads about users in VG Chartz. 

Fix the forum search, let us search up stuff further then 90 days, like of all time.

Fix adding video icon, it seems to randomly show up in the editor box whenever it wants to.

That's all I can think of for now.