By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Forum Changes

Khuutra said:

Point 2 is one of the ones I care about most fervently, and 1, 4, and 5 are different aspects of the same issue, but all of them need to be addressed in turn.

1. Comes with the assumption that there is a certain amount of holding back, of hemming and hawing about what is or isn't trolling. If you have to ask, chances are pretty decent that it is. So make with the punching? It's about discretion. I'm asking that the mods lean more toward death than they have before.

2. If they have to continue then yes, putting them in a completely separate sub-forum is almost entirely necessary. No default putting it in hot topics, either. This is something that needs to be available strictly to people who want to see it, so that people aren't driven away by drivel.

3. NeoGAF isn't actually my model forum here, though I haven't mentioned that much in this thread. It would be the Penny Arcade forums, which uses this system to great success.

The problem of "What if I want to discuss something that was last talked about six million posts ago" isn't actually a problem. It just means you start a discussion about the thing you want to discuss, regardless of when it was last talked about. One of the realities of forum conversation is that you are not going to talk about a given subject only once. It will be gone over in detail. If I mention my favorite Krogan Battlemaster build on page 30 and you come in on page 48, I would that a person who wants to know would just say "Hey, what's a good Krogan Battlemaster build? I kind of hate Carnage."

"Well, friend," I would say, "I am glad you asked."

You are looking at threads as a reader instead of as a participant. Reading to find what you want is hard in this sort of thread, I admit.

That's why you post in them, and become part of the discussion.

4. Accountability as a clear thing just ties into greater discretion, so that people cannot claim tyranny on the part of the mods without indicting the whole site, at which point they might as well just leave.

5. I am gonna say http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=144250&page=1# a stunning amount of this whole topic, because it's the first one that jumped out at me. Not even necessarily the OP (though the OP might qualify) - just read through a bit, see if you see what I mean.

6. No part of this is minor. I've had sigs turned off since before you joined the forums for just this reason. Yeah, that's right. Two weeks in, they was gone.

1) We receive far more complaints about how strict/trigger happy we are than how lenient we are on trolling.

2) That's settled, then.

3) Everyone is a reader before they become a participant. I don't like jumping into a thread with 200 pages, and if I do, I read the first couple of posts and then skip to the end. It makes it necessary to rely upon asking others to receive information, rather than simply being able to read it. And if you think our current situation is bad, what happens when we start seeing "GUYS I really need help how do I win with a Krogan battlemaster!" every ten posts?

A search function that works would go a long way towards solving this, but this function evades many larger and wealthier sites (like Reddit) so I doubt we'll get it.

4) With discretion comes deviation from site policy. It's pretty much the opposite of accountability. You can't prepare for situation, so you have to have mods whom you can trust to make their own decisions. Overruling should be a rare thing, and demodding should pretty much never happen.

5) The OP is fine. There is, however, some trolling in there, especially that one guy with the unintelligible rants whom I just permabanned.

6) Was that functionality even there? I seem to remember it being added by TalonMan later on.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:

1) We receive far more complaints about how strict/trigger happy we are than how lenient we are on trolling.

2) That's settled, then.

3) Everyone is a reader before they become a participant. I don't like jumping into a thread with 200 pages, and if I do, I read the first couple of posts and then skip to the end. It makes it necessary to rely upon asking others to receive information, rather than simply being able to read it. And if you think our current situation is bad, what happens when we start seeing "GUYS I really need help how do I win with a Krogan battlemaster!" every ten posts?

A search function that works would go a long way towards solving this, but this function evades many larger and wealthier sites (like Reddit) so I doubt we'll get it.

4) With discretion comes deviation from site policy. It's pretty much the opposite of accountability. You can't prepare for situation, so you have to have mods whom you can trust to make their own decisions. Overruling should be a rare thing, and demodding should pretty much never happen.

5) The OP is fine. There is, however, some trolling in there, especially that one guy with the unintelligible rants whom I just permabanned.

6) Was that functionality even there? I seem to remember it being added by TalonMan later on.

1. That's fine. Assholes will complain, and people in a Systems War forum will continue to be entitled. It's part and parcel.

3. This scenario is not something to be afraid of. Imagine if we had a large-scale VGChartz ME3 MP club, and we used our organization for good. People being brought into the fold accumulate knowledge naturally over time. The idea that each discussion would be brought up over and over again, at least in rapid succession, is largely a fantasy.

I understand your fears, but in my experience things just don't play out that way. Come in. Ask your questions. Get them answered. And participate. We want peopel to participate, and this setup is a great way to encourage participation in a constructive way.

But it's also more about the little things. There is an official Halo 4 thread. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=144263&page=1# This thread, for example, should not exist.

4. In theory, yes, the slap-hammer on a mod should never come down, but we already have a strong example (Maxwell) of a mod whose position was compromised by a long, long, long-standing compromise in his behavior, and it should have been addressed before. If you feel that Maxwell wouldn't be mod for five minutes under the current admin team, super. Great. This is illustrative more than instructive.

5. See, that's what I like. I like the murder. (also that was the poster I was really referring to). That's discretion used constructively and nobody reasonable can possibly argue with that decision.

I just want more of it. Harder bits of it. I want Rol to think real long before he hits that "Post Thread" button, God love him.

6. I can't have my argument hindered by your facts.

Khuutra said:
Kantor said:

But it's also more about the little things. There is an official Halo 4 thread. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=144263&page=1# This thread, for example, should not exist.

I highly disagree. The official Halo 4 thread deals with gameplay side of Halo 4. Gameplay and sales threads about games should not be in the same thread. There's no reason for it.

yo_john117 said:
Khuutra said:

I highly disagree. The official Halo 4 thread deals with gameplay side of Halo 4. Gameplay and sales threads about games should not be in the same thread. There's no reason for it.

Even if we allow that - and I find that difficult to do, since sales and games are so closely tied on that site - then you agree that the Microsoft forum itself should hold one Halo 4 topic, and the Sales forum should hold a single Halo 4 sales topic?

Khuutra said:
yo_john117 said:
Khuutra said:

Even if we allow that - and I find that difficult to do, since sales and games are so closely tied on that site - then you agree that the Microsoft forum itself should hold one Halo 4 topic, and the Sales forum should hold a single Halo 4 sales topic?

I do actually.

1 Halo thread dealing with gameplay

1 Halo thread dealing with sales

1 Halo thread for everything dealing with critic reception.

Something that would help out threads like this (to keep people from losing track of them) would be to subscribe to the thread and you could then just go to your subscriptions page and find whatever threads you've put in there. Nice, simple and easy.

Around the Network

Keep the walls and the messaging, scrap the complex points system, bring back badges, add more mods etc.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I don't interact much on this site, but I have been coming around since 2008ish.

I would like to say that I welcome a return back to the basics.  Over the last two years it feels like the site has become clunky, and the direction of vgchartz seems confused with it's own identity or focus.

As for the forums, I don't have much room to speak on it, since I very rarely use them.

Khuutra said:

3. This scenario is not something to be afraid of. Imagine if we had a large-scale VGChartz ME3 MP club, and we used our organization for good. People being brought into the fold accumulate knowledge naturally over time. The idea that each discussion would be brought up over and over again, at least in rapid succession, is largely a fantasy.

I understand your fears, but in my experience things just don't play out that way. Come in. Ask your questions. Get them answered. And participate. We want peopel to participate, and this setup is a great way to encourage participation in a constructive way.

4. In theory, yes, the slap-hammer on a mod should never come down, but we already have a strong example (Maxwell) of a mod whose position was compromised by a long, long, long-standing compromise in his behavior, and it should have been addressed before. If you feel that Maxwell wouldn't be mod for five minutes under the current admin team, super. Great. This is illustrative more than instructive.

Just to address these two:

3) That thread has a poll in it, so I can see why it exists. It's also a highly specific discussion about sales for a very popular game. You don't really want discussions about sales and gameplay getting mixed up. The metascore thread didn't really need to exist, but this one does, I think.

4) If I may speak freely, the only reason Maxwell wasn't demodded was because ioi would likely have become annoyed, since he was appointed by ioi.

spurgeonryan said:
Sigs are a issue? I have a prehistoric computer and everything works fine. Try comcast.

People are saying the two elimintation threads and 2-3 spammish threads that are gone now have driven some away? Out of 25 to 50 new threads a day plus older threads. Over dramatic, over sensitive, over acting.

Khuutra has a sharp tongue and a quick mind. So did Johnny Cochran. Using his power to push around his weight and get you to agree with him and follow him like a little puppy.

Problem with Yo_Johns thread as well? Wow! Yo_John quick question? Would you report someone for making their own Halo 4 thread on any matter? Does your thread stop anyone from making a thread about new leaked screenshots, gameplay, sales, etc?

As for the guy Kantor just banned. He would have been gone soon enough. Our mods are plenty efficient on this site and khuutra is basically saying they are not.

What you are saying khuutra is we should ban a quarter of the members and then pray to God that old members just come back out of the blue because the site is more strict. I talk to quite a few old members on southsky. None of them said they left for good because the site was not strict enough. Go figure!

You are out of touch with this site! Make fun of what I say, but its the truth. People like you always react that way when they think they are above someone, even if that someone is right.

Cheers!

This is a willful misrepresentation. The idea is to encourage new members to participate constructively, not to bring back old members. The old guard is gone.

spurgeonryan said:
^ I would like more mods. Good idea Conegamer. Now it seems like I only interact with three of the however many mods we have. Kantor, Barozi, and Axumblade. How can a mod know when someone is just being themselves or actually trolling if they do not know them? I am not going to name names because that would be calling people trolls, but there are some who are just that way, and they actually have a different agenda other than trolling. The mods know this and they know the users who do this. We have very good mods here, I just wish More of them mingled more with the common folk.

I am the mod who has most recently joined the site, and I've been here for nearly four years. All of us except for Torillian and sega4life have well over 10,000 posts.

We know the community, and we probably know them better than you do