By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo is the only one in the room displaying leadership and innovation.

o_O.Q said:
Gnac said:
o_O.Q said:
Gnac said:
Ignore o_0.Q, he only registered to defend Sony from criticism. It doesn't matter how far back a company was working on technology; what matters is when they DARED to bring it to us. Sony took the piss out of motion controls while Nintendo capitalised on their potential. Sony used their tired and tested method of disparaging the competition before eventually joining the party late, as they have historically shown to do.

lol i'm probably going to get banned for this but thats like me saying you only registered to kiss nintendo's ass

funny enough i don't take issue with him criticising sony for following nintendo's lead with motion controllers what i took issue with was him making statements like this that are obviously not true

"Nintendo invented motion control with Wii, and invented tablet function in a console."

how about we stay on topic instead of resorting to flaming each other?

Nah, you won't get banned, because that's just a ridiculous statement which you used in order to defend your defensiveness. If you really paid attention to my posting history, you would see that my posts comprise 50% facetiousness, 25% sarcasm, and 25% REAL GAMER.

i honestly couldn't give 2 shits about your posting history... are you done derailing the thread or do you have something useful to add?

You gave enough shits to reply to me, Mr THREAD DERAILER. If you have any of those shits left, feel free to respond nonchalantly to my post.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network

SaviorX said:
badgenome said:
richardhutnik said:

Do you seriously think that SmartGlass would of been introduced if Nintendo didn't go second screen with the WiiU?  

The reality is WIiU caused Microsoft and Sony to also add a second screen interface to their systems.  

Yes, because Smart Glass has nothing to do with Wii U and everything to do with AirPlay. I don't even know why you'd even bring up the fact that Sony lets you use a Vita to play LBP2. Merely mentioning it expends more energy than Sony spent in the concept and implementation of such a lazy idea (although one that I'm sure all 10 Vita owners will enjoy).

Do you seriously think that the great innovator Nintendo would have given their console a tablet controller if the iPad weren't setting the world on fire?

The iPad did not release until 4/2010.

Nintendo was thinking about Wii U's tablet concept in 2008. Try again.

Where have I heard this argument before?

OH YEAH!!!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=139601&page=

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

RolStoppable said:
room414 said:

My post was ignored. I'm not surprised. 

I want an answer. 

How did nintendo innovate and lead with the wii when it had all been done before?

Nintendo made quality games, that's the difference.

And nobody else did? Or is this motion control games only?

From the beginning of gaming to maybe early in the 16-Bit era, gaming was just ripe with ideas and innovations. We had a piano keyboard (called the Miracle) and a fucking exercise bike (Life Cycle) that connected to your Nes. We had things like the Sega Activator, Nes Zapper, U Force, Mouse Controllers, etc. We had a show called "Nick Arcade" that featured the future of video games--a big room where people got inside and interacted with video game images, much like the Eye Toy would eventually bring into our living rooms. Hell, the Nes came with a robot. A FUCKING ROBOT. Oh, I'm required to mention the Power Glove in this type of posts, too. I could go on. Seriously. I could talk about the controller for kids that couldn't use their arms (it used a straw that you had to suck and blow with), the U-Force, the Gameboy Camera, Turbo Touch 360, One handed controllers, etc. You get the idea. Look some of these up if you're not familiar.

You had to have been there, I guess.

As time progressed, most of these ideas failed miserably. We got new innovations like the NegCon controller, Side Winder, Dreamcast VMU, Analog Sticks, etc. Of course, many of these innovations can be traced back to earlier creations. That's because they're "innovations" and not "inventions". Sony crafting a controller with L3/R3 buttons is an innovation. Nintendo adding a stero speaker to the Wii Remote is an innovation and not an invention. Taking something outside of gaming and bringing it into gaming (like voice chat) is an innovation.

I guess, what Nintendo does better than anybody else is that they can take something that none of us were thinking of, things that failed in the past due to technological restraints of the day (I just watched Iron Man 2, in case you were wondering) and they make them work. They finally get it right. Tony Stark didn't invent the Arch Reactor--he finally got his father's design right.

Where I've made the mistake in the past (and many of you, too) was that I blindly believed that there was some top secret Nintendo lab in Arizona where Nintendo scientists created stuff like Flubber with guys who looked like Willy Wonka and The Nutty Professor. That's absurd. Nintendo is just a video game company. I guess they have guys that scout out new and pre-existing technology and say "That would be good for video gaming." To a lesser degree, Sony and Microsoft do this too. The only difference is that Nintendo's ideas tend to be something that makes us think, "That's crazy! It will never work!" while Sony/Microsoft's ideas tend make a lot more sense.

Often times, Nintendo's ideas DO fail miserably (just like the Eye Toy). The eReader, Virtual Boy, various Light Gun controllers--all epic failures. Sometimes, they become industry standards. The Controller (The Nes wasn't the first controller ever but it was the one that came out when 95% of companies were using joysticks), analog (call it digital if you want--for all intents and purposes, it was a 3D analog stick for 3D movement in 3D worlds), shoulder buttons, motion controls, Wavebird Wireless (again, wireless went back to at least the 8-Bit era with several infrared controllers) and more. When Nintendo gets it right, the whole world sees that it can be done and they do it too. Nintendo is the one that says, "Okay. The time is now. We can do this right."

Nintendo builds on the failure of others. Others build on the success of Nintendo. I'll post that sentence again.

Around the Network

Nintendo builds on the failure of others. Others build on the success of Nintendo.

room414 said:
room414 said:

"Innovation is NOT R&D.  It doesn't consist of having the largest research budget and betting on everything.  It isn't either that you do what is out there currently, "bigger, badder, and better".  What it consists of is beating others to the market with new changes and features that others aren't coming up with..."

"You may doubt me, but answer me this: Exactly WHAT are Microsoft and Sony bringing to the table now that is new, and different that changes the game the way Nintendo has been doing since the Wii?  Microsoft brought Achievements.  Sony brought what, Home?"

What exactly did nintendo beat others to the market with on the wii? 

Released in 2004:

And all the motion controlled dance, fitness, sports mini games etc.had already been done on ps2: 

Leadership and innovation my ass.

My post was ignored. I'm not surprised. 

I want an answer. 

How did nintendo innovate and lead with the wii when it had all been done before?

It wasn't ignored. It was taken into consideration and the goalposts were shifted.

This is the part where it doesn't matter who thought of it first or who released it first. It becomes a matter of who's device goes "mainstream" first.

You will learn all of this in time.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

d21lewis said:

Developed by Bandai.

That is just like when people use the Powerglove as an example as Nintendo innovating when that too had nothing to do with Nintendo since it was designed by Grant Goddard and Samuel Cooper Davis for Abrams Gentile Entertainment (AGE), made by Mattel in the United States and PAX in Japan.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
d21lewis said:

Developed by Bandai.

That is just like when people use the Powerglove as an example as Nintendo innovating when that too had nothing to do with Nintendo since it was designed by Grant Goddard and Samuel Cooper Davis for Abrams Gentile Entertainment (AGE), made by Mattel in the United States and PAX in Japan.

I know.  They bought it from them.  Common knowledge just like your Power Glove comment.

Euphoria14 said:

It wasn't ignored. It was taken into consideration and the goalposts were shifted.

This is the part where it doesn't matter who thought of it first or who released it first. It becomes a matter of who's device goes "mainstream" first.

You will learn all of this in time.

Just to be clear, my point of view on Nintend is exactly the same as it's been when I first came to this site in 2007.  Maybe somebody shifted the goals but that somebody is not me:  http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=146583