By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo is the only one in the room displaying leadership and innovation.

guiduc said:
RolStoppable said:
richardhutnik said:
RolStoppable said:
Nintendo showed off the Wii U. That's not leadership and innovation, that's idiocy.

Let's go back to 2005-2006.  The quote was then:

Nintendo showed off the Wii. That's not leadership and innovation, that's idiocy.

Back then, the Wii was forecast to be a failure, mocked, called a gimmick and left for dead.  Now it is the Wii U that is getting that.

Yeah... no.

Things are very different. The Wii caused excitement and led to five hours long waiting lines to try out the system while the PS3 was shunned. The Wii U is met with a "meh" reaction all around.

So based off people's reaction on the show Wii U is gonna fail?

Also, looking at about a year of exposure for the Wii U, and people get an idea what a tablet looks like, so not surprising there isn't as much of a buzz about it.  

Around the Network

Ignore o_0.Q, he only registered to defend Sony from criticism. It doesn't matter how far back a company was working on technology; what matters is when they DARED to bring it to us. Sony took the piss out of motion controls while Nintendo capitalised on their potential. Sony used their tired and tested method of disparaging the competition before eventually joining the party late, as they have historically shown to do.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

glimmer_of_hope said:
Richard why even bother trying to shed perfectly good light on Nintendo on this site? Everyone knows you cannot come on here and applaud Nintendo for their innovations and walk away unharmed.

I mean really....Nintendo haters are already trying to say Nintendo's new controller is somehow copying Microsoft. When every other person knows that design was stolen from PC controllers years ago, with added features that Nintendo had years before that.

And are people really trying to say Apple has the first concept of the tablet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynabook

But you are right. Nintendo simply comes up with the ideas, time after time. And it's all gimmicks until the other two copy one way or the other.

I am looking at Nintendo, since the Wii, and their interest in doing Blue Ocean approach with home console.  They were on the edge of being being bounced out of the videogame business and had to do something different.  So, they decided to NOT pursue the most polygon and spec attempt and listen to what people were really wanting and having the balls to go and release it.  It isn't just about coming up with ideas, or even if that is the main thing, but actually releasing a product with the features desired that are felt to reach the market in ways no one else is currently, and redefining it.  Nintendo is now doing that.  They are leading with vision.  And they are the only company in the home console market doing it.  In regards to the IT industry, maybe people can name a few others, but Apple has been the top that has come to mind.  Release a product, watch as critics in the media and on forums like this rip them to pieces in a futile set of ranting, and then walk away with the market.  

Nintendo is doing things no one sees will be coming out until it hits.  They knock it, call it a flop, and if they are a partisan of another console go and turn around and herald the approach as something awesome.  Look at selnor on here, regard Smart Glass, saying he is more impressed with it than Nintendo's tablet, without even knowing its availability in implementation, or even trade offs.  Why?  Because selnor is a Microsoft partisan, and sucks up to everything XBox out of Microsoft, right down to saying Alan Wake has the BESTEST console graphics EVA!

Gnac said:
Ignore o_0.Q, he only registered to defend Sony from criticism. It doesn't matter how far back a company was working on technology; what matters is when they DARED to bring it to us. Sony took the piss out of motion controls while Nintendo capitalised on their potential. Sony used their tired and tested method of disparaging the competition before eventually joining the party late, as they have historically shown to do.

And it is a matter of innovation and leadership coming together with a vision of what you are trying to accomplish.  You can dabble, explore and so on, and just throw something out there.  But, before Nintendo rolled out the Wii, what was Sony's effort here, besides their camera?  And what did it exactly do, and why did they put it out there?  Did they have it as an essential part of their offering to people, and try to reach casual gamers with it?  Did they do anything with it to make gaming more accessible, or was it in the gimmick category that the Wii was hammered HEAVILY about, before it ran away with the market, and forced Microsoft and Sony to respond?  It forced Microsoft to respond to the extent that Kinect became a major new initiative for them, and changed the XBox 360.  Smart Glass is looking to be yet another one.

And this is where real innovation and leadership happens.  When it is done, you get a jump and everyone follows you.  And Apple is another company that does this, with their i techonology they roll out.  People go WTF? with what they have, particularly the tablet, and now it is a norm.  Apple made it work, even if other efforts are earlier.  And you see Microsoft being late time and time again to the market.  They were late to search, late to portable computing and late to about everything else.  They aren't leading, they are following.  And Sony is similar with this.  Both are late and expect to come in better.  Microsoft pulled it off some, because they owned the desktop.  But now freed of the desktop, Microsoft doesn't have the edge.  And the bloom is off to the extent that Ballmer was voted worst CEO of a publically trade company.  Answer me this, if Microsoft isn't having a problem with leadership, why would their CEO get voted worst CEO?

Regardless of what people might think of Wonderbook, it's a brilliant idea.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
Ajescent said:

I won't knock Wonderbook.  And I hope it does well.  When seeing it, I just felt this very strong feeling that a forum like this here would end up with numbers getting very angry at Sony and start to knock it.  Well, it fits into the augmented reality category, and requires a different way to interface.  Core gamers set in their ways don't like this, so they start mocking Sony for not pandering to their interests.  Nintendo went through the same with the Wii, and anger at motion control with Microsoft comes from the same place.

richardhutnik said:
Ajescent said:

I won't knock Wonderbook.  And I hope it does well.  When seeing it, I just felt this very strong feeling that a forum like this here would end up with numbers getting very angry at Sony and start to knock it.  Well, it fits into the augmented reality category, and requires a different way to interface.  Core gamers set in their ways don't like this, so they start mocking Sony for not pandering to their interests.  Nintendo went through the same with the Wii, and anger at motion control with Microsoft comes from the same place.

People always accuse Sony of copying Nintendo and now they do something none of the others have done before, no one says anything. I think it's a bit dickish but yes I agree with you, it's the way of the forums.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
richardhutnik said:
Ajescent said:

People always accuse Sony of copying Nintendo and now they do something none of the others have done before, no one says anything. I think it's a bit dickish but yes I agree with you, it's the way of the forums.

Call it a bit of irony that I am the one who started this thread to saying Nintendo is the only one showing leadership and innovation.  I have been saying pretty much everyone borrows from everyone, if there is a market for it.  You even see Microsoft getting Ubisoft to turn Trials into an answer for LittleBigPlanet with Trials Evolutuon.  And Nintendo ends up having the pro pad look like everything else and did make changes to the WIiU pad to be like the current HD pad controllers also in function.

Where we are now, that happens when companies try things different, is they get ripped into by core gamers.  It is annoying actually.  And then people get upset also when I do what I do and call it out, and actually try to defend Nintendo for innovation on the hardware front.  I happened to get a bit tired of ripping Nintendo down this time around, and predicting flopping in a big way, when I am interested in their hardware.  I was also interested in the Vita by the way.  My natural reaction to both the Wii U and Vita is (also the Wii): They look like fun!  

You know the word, "Fun"?  Seems people may forget that and desire "serious artistic expression" or something so they get all gaga over the Heavy Rain type stuff, because it is supposed to be "art".

room414 said:

"Innovation is NOT R&D.  It doesn't consist of having the largest research budget and betting on everything.  It isn't either that you do what is out there currently, "bigger, badder, and better".  What it consists of is beating others to the market with new changes and features that others aren't coming up with..."

"You may doubt me, but answer me this: Exactly WHAT are Microsoft and Sony bringing to the table now that is new, and different that changes the game the way Nintendo has been doing since the Wii?  Microsoft brought Achievements.  Sony brought what, Home?"

What exactly did nintendo beat others to the market with on the wii? 

Released in 2004:

And all the motion controlled dance, fitness, sports mini games etc.had already been done on ps2: 

Leadership and innovation my ass.

My post was ignored. I'm not surprised. 

I want an answer. 

How did nintendo innovate and lead with the wii when it had all been done before?

CGI-Quality said:
richardhutnik said:

You know the word, "Fun"?  Seems people may forget that and desire "serious artistic expression" or something so they get all gaga over the Heavy Rain type stuff, because it is supposed to be "art".

I'm guessing this is a stab at me, and while it's flattering (and also further exposes what appears to be your continued inner bitterness), I'll bite anyway:

The description "fun" is no different than calling something "good", "bad", or "dumb". What you may not see as fun, others might. It doesn't make what you like any more fun than something else. The idea of something that is "art" is also subjective, but I'd be here all day trying to explain why / why not something is / isn't art. In fact, one has to wonder why an "artistic expression" couldn't be considered fun. No other type of game invalidates an experience like Heavy Rain.

Going back to your topic, seems you only want to talk about one side that leads and innovates, but you're expressing a distaste with a certain sector of the gaming population, and in so doing, minimize that both Microsoft and Sony have lead and brought their own innovations in different ways (even if you half-heartedly admit it). To the extent of Nintendo, maybe, maybe not, as was said in The Terminator: "the future is not set" (and nobody can deny the biggest impact on any hardware this gen came in the form of the Wii-mote), but your misunderstood fire towards "particular experiences / gamers" and fingers-in-ears attitude to logical objection demonstrates some of the very double standards that make this a debate in the first place.

If you think that you are on my mind when Heavy Rain is mentioned by me, it will only be maybe now.  My issues with Heavy Rain are beyond you.  It is just something I reached for, because it hardly qualifies as a game.  It qualifies as interactive fiction.  I could of gone with L.A Noire here instead, but that can be argued to be more of a game.   My shot goes far deeper than that, and you read what I write, youy should detect one of my trends and beefs, which is that the videogame industry so badly wants to be taken more seriously as "artists" and have their award shows be treated with respect.  With all this comes a dozen other things, and a focus on development that isn't game related.  And yes, you can say that makes me favor Nintendo more.  Reason why is Nintendo is first and foremost a game company, as opposed to Microsoft which is a software company and Sony which is a hardware company.

So, about this, my focus on innovation and leadership had to with the videogame industry as a whole, and what is being done in the console front, by the three console makers.  This is an area they control, the way Apple does hardware also.  And with this, I had been arguing, a different point than the one you are now upset about, that on the hardware front, Nintendo is the only one showing leadership and innovation among the three.  The other two are following Nintendo's lead.  Only place where maybe you ding Nintendo is on the U's Pro controller, because it ends up being like what both Sony and Microsoft came out with.