You're nuts. 52 18.37%

Get a grip! 63 22.26%

They definitely failed E3, but we'll see. 87 30.74%

Beer (ummmm) 34 12.01%

Total:282
happydolphin said:
richardhutnik said:

Blame me.

I consider your getting upset, and the number of other people upset on forums like this, as a badge of honor to wear.  The same crowd that bashed the Wii, which changed the game, bashed the WiiU.  I think Nintendo did what it was supposed to do with E3, and also know what they are doing with direction.  They change the game.  They kept themselves alive, and also opened up gaming for others.  All this is good things.  If you don't like what had happened, you wanted Nintendo to go out of business.  Before the Wii, they were reduced to merely being a company with a strong foothold in the handheld arena.  The Wii changed the game to remind people that it isn't all about the graphics.

Basic tip of reality: It isn't here to serve you.  If you get served by reality, it is because you were able to adjust to it.  If you fail to adjust, it is your fault.

I do blame you, because I never bashed the Wii. I'm on VGChartz because I believed in the Wii. I don't believe in this shit I saw yesterday, it will tank.

I blame people like you for making the lives of critical thinkers a dreadful task.

There is a fine line between thinking critically and whining heavily.  What I see is whining heavily on forums, like a bunch of disappointed fans and little in the way actually analysing things from a business perspective.  I am seeing, because E3 is morphing into a placate the fans piece, away from a business convention for the electronic entertainment industry, there is feeling the need to have Usher perform.  WTF?  Since when do companies hire artist to perform at press conferences?  SERIOUSLY?

In all this, of the three companies, Nintendo actually looks like the only ones remotely trying to lead.  I have no idea what Microsoft is doing except bigger and badder me-to.  And well, Sony is Sony.  Do the same old on a high level, and also get big names.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
mike_intellivision said:
Is it me or is it the people who complain the loudest about Nintendo want it to be more like the other companies.
But if it were more like Sony and Microsoft, then it would not longer be Nintendo. And chances are, people (these same people no doubt) would complain about that too.

Nintendo is Honda. It does what it wants to do. It is solid but not flashy. It is not for everyone. Nevertheless, it is generally successful at doing it.

Mike from Morgantown

You're so lost. Nintendo is not at all what it once was, so those who want Nintendo to continue into La La land are exactly you who you're talking about.

Nintendo is NOT what it has become, it is greater than both what it is, and what Sony and MS are. But it is not living up to its name.

You are completely missing the point. Nintendo is playing for the long term. It gets its machine out there at $300 and is able to lower it to $250 by the time the next machines are out there at $400 (All prices USD).

It has a pretty good launch line-up, then comes out with another set of games in 2013 while the others are offering launch games -- probably at a higher-price point ($70? $75?).

This is what has Nintendo been for the past 15 years -- a gaming company that is not going to take too many chances or make too many products that you would not feel comfortable showing to or playing with just about anyone.  (This is also why many M-rated games do not do well or even make appearances on Nintendo consoles).  Ironically, if anything, it is trying to shed a bit of this "family friendly forevermore feeling" with the promotion given to zombie games -- from ZombiU on stage to the generic zombie fighter in the designed-to-be-cheesy video on the WiiU GamePad.

Instead of trying to compete with two other companies for a small sliver of humanity (males 18-34), it went for everyone else. And it outsold the other two companies. And despite the different approach, it has a tie-rate that while third this generation, is not that different than the PS3 (0.3 games -- probably not statistically significant but I did not run any tests) and higher than any Nintendo system except for the Gamecube. Still, everyone complains when they don't see generic FPS shooter 42 on the system.

Still, people have the right to complain. I just would like them to be honest on what they want and to respect others for what they want.

For those who want "mature" games with a lot of violence and photo realism, there is the Xbox 360 and PS3. For those who want a variety of games, including some of those but also games which harken back to a simpler time with game play that is more than shoot, duck, and cover, and that you don't have to shut off when you child walks into the room -- there is the WiiU.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

spurgeonryan said:
I just blame you. If you had not made all of those demotivating threads a while back, we would all have much more love for Nintendo. But no!! You had to break our spirit with that Mario thread. Now we are all misguided, angry, former Nintendo fans. Thanks!

Haha. Yeah, I blame myself too. I am an angry videogame nerd right now, so yes, put me at the stake, but I will not go without a good fight. Sorry for making you bitter, but if you aren't know, I'd say you're pretty hopeless, the signs are clear Nintendo has failed the core for good.

SO STOP HOPING!

@jgarrett. Exactly.

^aren't now, it was a typo. Meaning if this doesn't make you bitter at Nintendo, then it's a lost cause to open your eyes.

happydolphin said:

Only quoted you to inform you that a Karaoke machine like the one I have does not cost $1000. A good one that can display lyrics on screen, highlight words at the times the words should be sung and give scores on your performance afterwards and also allow for (2) people to sing together with seperate mics will run you ~$150-$200.

I agree though, we should change focus and just complain about wanting MORE from Nintendo in terms of core gaming since I agree with you. Even if we are outnumbered here, do not lose hope. As Project Rainfall has shown us, it is the vocal minority that gets shit done rather than the ones who just covers their eyes and ears and pretend everything is perfect for everyone.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:

You are completely missing the point. Nintendo is playing for the long term. It gets its machine out there at $300 and is able to lower it to $250 by the time the next machines are out there at $400 (All prices USD).

It has a pretty good launch line-up, then comes out with another set of games in 2013 while the others are offering launch games -- probably at a higher-price point ($70? $75?).

This is what has Nintendo been for the past 15 years -- a gaming company that is not going to take too many chances or make too many products that you would not feel comfortable showing to or playing with just about anyone.  (This is also why many M-rated games do not do well or even make appearances on Nintendo consoles).  Ironically, if anything, it is trying to shed a bit of this "family friendly forevermore feeling" with the promotion given to zombie games -- from ZombiU on stage to the generic zombie fighter in the designed-to-be-cheesy video on the WiiU GamePad.

Instead of trying to compete with two other companies for a small sliver of humanity (males 18-34), it went for everyone else. And it outsold the other two companies. And despite the different approach, it has a tie-rate that while third this generation, is not that different than the PS3 (0.3 games -- probably not statistically significant but I did not run any tests) and higher than any Nintendo system except for the Gamecube. Still, everyone complains when they don't see generic FPS shooter 42 on the system.

Still, people have the right to complain. I just would like them to be honest on what they want and to respect others for what they want.

For those who want "mature" games with a lot of violence and photo realism, there is the Xbox 360 and PS3. For those who want a variety of games, including some of those but also games which harken back to a simpler time with game play that is more than shoot, duck, and cover, and that you don't have to shut off when you child walks into the room -- there is the WiiU.

Mike from Morgantown

A small sliver of humanity that comprises 130M units sold this far in the industry.

What you're not seeing is that Nintendo's long term approach, their risk-readiness and their family-friendly image are all very different and dissociate (also associate) ideas and considerations. Yet you melted them into one big mess in paragraphs 1, 2 & 3. While one part is true, you bind it to another that isn't.

Does Nintendo need to have a Family-friendly only image and cater to everyone XOR cater to the core? Can't they do both? Can't they separate their products into products lines and isolate their consumerbases and markets? What about creating a whole new trade show for family-oriented games? What about selling family-oriented products at certain stores and pushing more core products at others?

Why is Nintendo so elemental in it marketing to these two very distinct markets.... I d k

@happydolphin

I still have a bit of hope they´re holding the big guns for core gamers for E3 2013, the event that´ll probably see the unveiling of both the next Xbox and PS4, or at the very least one of them.

3D Mario, whatever Retro´s working on (haven´t they been hiring developers from Naughty Dog and others?).

Iwata had said they were targeting core gamers first, but it might seem they changed their mind.

My initial reaction is some disappointment at not seeing Zelda or Metroid or F-Zero or any number of other awesome possibilities. But the possibilities are still there cooking behind the scenes unti they are ready to show.

Instead of being so disappointed... why dont you get happy that each console maker is now providing you compelling gaming software to enjoy. If Halo 4 looks like Metroid to you, great... get it and enjoy it. If the Last of Us changed your expectations of how AI should be, then get that and enjoy that experience.

Not everything has to come from Nintendo. Let them do what they do best which is thinking up new compelling experiences. Thats what I expect from Nintendo and they are delivering it.

Lego Undercover looks phenomenal
Project P-100 looks like it will be crazy fun
ZombiU might be the best game released for Wii U launch
Mario U and Pikmin 3 will be more of what you already like if you into those games

Next you have 3rd party game ports where the tablet controller will give you very cool access to inventory and map

Assassins Creed III
Batman Arkham City
Aliens - Colonial Marines

Seriously... this is what everybody wanted from Nintendo except they didn't tease any games they wont be releasing anytime soon. They only showed stuff they would be releasing within launch window (before April 2013).

Rol, let´s assume..Wii U launches for $300 with NSMBU as a launch title....enough for the system to keep flying off shelves for a few months?

It might be the first Nintendo home system to launch with a 2D Mario ever since the SNES over 10 years ago.

mike_intellivision said:
Is it me or is it the people who complain the loudest about Nintendo want it to be more like the other companies.
But if it were more like Sony and Microsoft, then it would not longer be Nintendo. And chances are, people (these same people no doubt) would complain about that too.

Nintendo is Honda. It does what it wants to do. It is solid but not flashy. It is not for everyone. Nevertheless, it is generally successful at doing it.

Mike from Morgantown

This is true, Nintendo fans don't want Nintendo to be that different and still support their old franchises, but you know who does that too? Sony, and then they also make new franchises on top of that, Nintendo can still be Nintendo, just develop some new and exciting franchises. If they want to attract new consumers, why release games of the same franchise?

SaviorX said:
[snip]

Nintendo had to cover all the bases. Sure for launch they are receiving ports, but that is not anything new.

Black Ops, Assassins Creed, Tekken, Mass Effect, Batman, ZombiU, Darksiders, Ninja Gaiden, Alien. They have to start somewhere and games take time. Not everyone is exactly releasing new IPs around here either. What is missing? Bioshock? Medal of Honor? Resident Evil 6? GTAV (no one knows). Other titles have not been confirmed, but they have not been denied either.

Do you have a source for Black Ops?