Get a grip! 63 22.26%

They definitely failed E3, but we'll see. 87 30.74%

Beer (ummmm) 34 12.01%

Total:282
Euphoria14 said:
Oromashu said:
happydolphin said:
Oromashu said:

The Wii U has a good line-up for the holiday, probably better than Xbox 360 and PS3, but the problem I see is what they have to offer for early 2013. Maybe some 3rd Party filler, who knows, but hopefully it's enough steam to make it to E3 2013, when I'm hoping some core franchises will be revealed.

Nintendo has always been a mysterious type of gaming company. They want the awe factor to be there when they release their HD Zelda and 3D Marios and Smash, but if it isn't ready to be seen, sadly they won't show it. Though, I was half-expecting a HD Zelda at this E3 because of the tech demo.

So I'm not angry or anything. Nintendo just wanted to cover the casual base first, offer teaspoons of core offerings with Pikmin, and hope it rides them into next year. Which is fine, but I'm earnestly hoping for some real meat that makes me really want to keep my Wii U in the living room and not in the closet.

If it's any consolation, the 3DS is looking incredibly good now. Looks like I'll be getting one soon.

It's NOT FINE!!! They said at the last financial briefing that they would FIRST cater to the core, then to the casual. If they are, they showed us the EXACT opposite at E3's keynote.

I want to knee reggie and Iwata in the nuts several times.

True enough, but what got what we got. I want to tell myself they're pushing the casual games/etc out of the way first, for the holiday launch, and will subsequently follow with more core franchises and the like. Considering the core also wanted 3rd party support as well, they did establish some bases with Batman, AC3, ME3, so I think it's a good start.

Actually, I think the number of games for the core side is greater than their casual showings.

The big problem however is that the games you just mentioned , as well as titles shown like Just Dance are also coming out on the consoles it supposed to compete against. Not a good strategy when you try to convince people to spend $300+ on a new console to play games you will already have available on the console(s) you already own.

Then on top of that you had, in the same conference no less, someone showing a fitness title to compete against your own.

Batman had some uses for the tablet, but nothing I would call revolutionary. The baterang can be done with the PS3 controller and I don't even think they showed additional functionality for Mass Effect 3 or Assassin's Creed 3 did they?

Then on top of that they are supposedly skipping Gamescom in August.

If this thing is truly releasing within the next 4-6 months then they seriously have much to get done in that span.

I think Ubisoft mentioned some things the Gamepad can do for AC3, but they didn't actually show it at Nintendo's Conference. You are correct in that it is not a good strategy on Nintendo's part, but if anything, the launch proves how much Nintendo is relying on 3rd Parties now. The thing with Nintendo's IPs is that they're so good, they typically squash any hopes for 3rd Parties on their systems, but with only Pikmin 3 and Mario Bros I think of it as a more favorable position for them.

The only thing Nintendo really has to convince people to drop 300 dollars at the moment are Pikmin 3 and Mario bros, along with the U-ness of ports. One thing that wasn't mentioned by Nintendo, which should have imo, were the Wii U app offerings, their games like the e-shop on the 3ds. Some of the games on the e-shop for 3ds are really good, so I'm hoping Wii U recieves the same treatment.

I really hope there are a few more Nintendo Directs that helps ease these problems, because it seems Nintendo enjoys using that to announce new games.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward = best game ever made.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:

Blame me.

I consider your getting upset, and the number of other people upset on forums like this, as a badge of honor to wear.  The same crowd that bashed the Wii, which changed the game, bashed the WiiU.  I think Nintendo did what it was supposed to do with E3, and also know what they are doing with direction.  They change the game.  They kept themselves alive, and also opened up gaming for others.  All this is good things.  If you don't like what had happened, you wanted Nintendo to go out of business.  Before the Wii, they were reduced to merely being a company with a strong foothold in the handheld arena.  The Wii changed the game to remind people that it isn't all about the graphics.

Basic tip of reality: It isn't here to serve you.  If you get served by reality, it is because you were able to adjust to it.  If you fail to adjust, it is your fault.

I do blame you, because I never bashed the Wii. I'm on VGChartz because I believed in the Wii. I don't believe in this shit I saw yesterday, it will tank.

I blame people like you for making the lives of critical thinkers a dreadful task.

happydolphin said:
Euphoria14 said:

Batman had some uses for the tablet, but nothing I would call revolutionary. The baterang can be done with the PS3 controller and I don't even think they showed additional functionality for Mass Effect 3 or Assassin's Creed 3 did they?

No, it was revolutionary, much more than just controlling a batarang (you bring out the only case that's already been done, even by the Wiimote, see SS). What you could do was the kind of thing you can do on 3DS like in RE:R, but could never do on consoles. Complete puzzles on a touch screen, swap items on the fly. Then ZombiU actually shows the player punch in a code while the TV screen shows the character looking back at the zombies. That was awesome, I'm sorry. No, the controller is revolutionary, that's not the issue.

For everything else in your post, I agree.

I also saw the demonstration for Sing where the words are on the tablet instead of the TV screen. Now really, how does that make the game any better? It's Karaoke, only this time you have extra crap to hold instead of only needing a microphone. I wouldn't consider that progression.

ZombiU to me looked alright. I liked when he was looking into the tablet and then when he brought it down that zombie was in his face. My problem though is why is it everyone other than Nintendo that is doing somewhat interesting things with the WiiU?

I see many problems in the future for the WiiU, even more so once next gen really starts rolling and Sony and MS bring out much more graphics heavy consoles because let's be honest here... we all know a bunch of devs are making engines tailored to next gen consoles, so where do you think they are going to go?

Also for the record I don't think the Controller isn't revolutionary. I love the thing, but I just think Nintendo is seriously dropped the ball big time.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Oromashu said:

I think Ubisoft mentioned some things the Gamepad can do for AC3, but they didn't actually show it at Nintendo's Conference. You are correct in that it is not a good strategy on Nintendo's part, but if anything, the launch proves how much Nintendo is relying on 3rd Parties now. The thing with Nintendo's IPs is that they're so good, they typically squash any hopes for 3rd Parties on their systems, but with only Pikmin 3 and Mario Bros I think of it as a more favorable position for them.

The only thing Nintendo really has to convince people to drop 300 dollars at the moment are Pikmin 3 and Mario bros, along with the U-ness of ports. One thing that wasn't mentioned by Nintendo, which should have imo, were the Wii U app offerings, their games like the e-shop on the 3ds. Some of the games on the e-shop for 3ds are really good, so I'm hoping Wii U recieves the same treatment.

I really hope there are a few more Nintendo Directs that helps ease these problems, because it seems Nintendo enjoys using that to announce new games.

I was about to ask about that.

Did Nintendo go in depth in terms of what the WiiU online service will provide? What are it's apps? it's options? Video store? Exclusive games out the gate? Does it have an achievement system? I may have missed all of that if it was gone over during one of the events.

In all seriousness I want this console to do good because I want to be able to have my Bioshocks, Final Fantasy, Tales and my Zelda all in one place.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:

I also saw the demonstration for Sing where the words are on the tablet instead of the TV screen. Now really, how does that make the game any better? It's Karaoke, only this time you have extra crap to hold instead of only needing a microphone. I wouldn't consider that progression.

ZombiU to me looked alright. I liked when he was looking into the tablet and then when he brought it down that zombie was in his face. My problem though is why is it everyone other than Nintendo that is doing somewhat interesting things with the WiiU?

I see many problems in the future for the WiiU, even more so once next gen really starts rolling and Sony and MS bring out much more graphics heavy consoles because let's be honest here... we all know a bunch of devs are making engines tailored to next gen consoles, so where do you think they are going to go?

Also for the record I don't think the Controller isn't revolutionary. I love the thing, but I just think Nintendo is seriously dropped the ball big time.

I don't disagree with you (bold), they did drop the ball. But come on, you'll bring the Karaoke as an example as to why the controller isn't revolutionary. There are so many other features shown by Nintendo and by Batman and ZombiU to show that that was a check on the To Do list (not an issue). If girls want to have fun playing Sing, I have no issue with it, but just try not to show it at E3. Nintendoland, on the other hand, is a disaster. People were getting up to leave by the end of the conference, didn't even wait for the fireworks to end. What a shit show.

Extra crap to hold? Okay, use the built in controller microphone. If Sing devs didn't think of that one, who's fault is it. And even then, what about when you hold a mic and a sheet of paper for lyrics. Whatevs this is a non-issue.

ZombiU isn't just alright, it's a big step in the right direction for immersive use of the controller. Another check on the list. And Nintendo IS doing interesting things with the controller. The MiiVerse will be super handy, the browser will be perfect for showing pics and vids to family. That's all good and they also showed asymetric gameplay (big feature), and some swiping to-from the controller to the screen. it's a pass.

But the bullseye, the 3rd party support, the AAA 1st party titles from Retro, the more adult franchises like F-Zero, Starfox, Smash and Prime, they were not there. THAT's where they failed.

Around the Network

You should also blame PS Home....Nintendoland looks like a straight ripoff of that! DAMN YOU SONY!

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
You should also blame PS Home....Nintendoland looks like a straight ripoff of that! DAMN YOU SONY!

I'll add it to the OP. lol

Euphoria14 said:

Oromashu said:

I was about to ask about that.

Did Nintendo go in depth in terms of what the WiiU online service will provide? What are it's apps? it's options? Video store? Exclusive games out the gate? Does it have an achievement system? I may have missed all of that if it was gone over during one of the events.

In all seriousness I want this console to do good because I want to be able to have my Bioshocks, Final Fantasy, Tales and my Zelda all in one place.

From what I understand, based off seeing Sunday's Direct, it probably does have an achievement system. I base this off one of the chat bubbles saying they got an achievement, or something like it. It also has Youtube, hulu, amazon video out of the gate. Game-wise, we have no idea what's in store for that, but the infrastuture is there, and Nintendo also plans to make it so you can download full games at least. But having a good amount of indie titles, or HQ titles like Pushmo was for the 3ds, would be great.

I'm the same as you and want all the games I'm interested in one place, because next-gen looks like it will take it's toll on my wallet.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward = best game ever made.

All I think is, you don´t use singing/dancing/fitness games, ports of 360/PS3 games, Lego (no matter how good it turns out to be), Nintendo Land, etc...to show off a brand new console, a system that, according to specs, is more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

Considering Iwata himself said the Wii U will try to cater to the core first, they should´ve shown at least one game that made the 360/PS3 look old.

Whatever the game was, it didn´t need to be available at launch or launch window, it could come out a year from now but at least it could´ve given core gamers (since they´re Iwata´s target first, in theory) a clear idea that yes, the system is more powerful than the HD twins.

I remember people (correctly) complaining Sony showed a lot of games that were still far from release, but Nintendo seems the complete opposite, they only seem to show games that will soon be released, however the balance is in the middle.Yes, show Pikmin 3, NSMBU and all the games available around launch, but don´t stop there, give us an idea of a holiday 2013 game.

Is it me or is it the people who complain the loudest about Nintendo want it to be more like the other companies.
But if it were more like Sony and Microsoft, then it would not longer be Nintendo. And chances are, people (these same people no doubt) would complain about that too.

Nintendo is Honda. It does what it wants to do. It is solid but not flashy. It is not for everyone. Nevertheless, it is generally successful at doing it.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV