By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii U supports 1080p, CPU and GPU confirmed - UPDATE: Spec sheet! 1.5 GB RAM, 3 core PowerPC CPU etc. Thread now includes FREE Icelandic lessons!

We need to get this side-by-side to PS360 specs. The only comparison i was able to make there was RAM values (Wii U at 3x PS360), but i know little about channels and shaders and whatnot.

8GB should be good for memory and virtual-console type games, and if you want to buy other things (retail titles) you can buy an external HDD to run with it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
pezus said:

UPDATE: Wii U specs:

Main Application Processor

PowerPC architecture.
Three cores (fully coherent).
3MB aggregate L2 Cache size.
core 0: 512 KB
core 1: 2048 KB
core 2: 512 KB
Write gatherer per core.
Locked (L1d) cache DMA per core.

Main Memory

Up to 3GB of main memory (CAT-DEVs only). Note: retail machine will have half devkit memory
Please note that the quantity of memory available from the Cafe SDK and Operating System may vary.

Graphics and Video

Modern unified shader architecture.
32MB high-bandwidth eDRAM, supports 720p 4x MSAA or 1080p rendering in a single pass.
HDMI and component video outputs.

Features

Unified shader architecture executes vertex, geometry, and pixel shaders
Multi-sample anti-aliasing (2, 4, or 8 samples per pixel)
Read from multi-sample surfaces in the shader
128-bit floating point HDR texture filtering
High resolution texture support (up to 8192 x 8192)
Indexed cube map arrays

8 render targets
Independent blend modes per render target
Pixel coverage sample masking
Hierarchical Z/stencil buffer
Early Z test and Fast Z Clear
Lossless Z & stencil compression
2x/4x/8x/16x high quality adaptive anisotropic filtering modes
sRGB filtering (gamma/degamma)
Tessellation unit
Stream out support
Compute shader support

GX2 is a 3D graphics API for the Nintendo Wii U system (also known as Cafe). The API is designed to be as efficient as GX(1) from the Nintendo GameCube and Wii systems. Current features are modeled after OpenGL and the AMD r7xx series of graphics processors. Wii U’s graphics processor is referred to as GPU7.
Sound and Audio

Dedicated 120MHz audio DSP.
Support for 6 channel discrete uncompressed audio (via HDMI).
2 channel audio for the Cafe DRC controller.
Monaural audio for the Cafe Remote controller.

Networking

802.11 b/g/n Wifi.

Peripherals

2 x USB 2.0 host controllers x 2 ports each. = 4 USB slots
SDCard Slot.

Built-in Storage

512MB SLC NAND for System.
8GB MLC NAND for Applications.

Host PC Bridge

Dedicated Cafe-to-host PC bridge hardware.
Allows File System emulation by host PC.
Provides interface for debugger and logging to host PC.

-Neogaf-

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-nintendo-wii-u-supports-1080p-cpu-and-gpu-revealed

The Wii U supports 1080p, Nintendo has confirmed.

The video output in full: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, Wii D-Terminal, Wii Component Video, Wii RGB, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.

In a technical specs sheet published today, Nintendo revealed new information on the home console, due out in time for Christmas.

The CPU is an IBM Power-based multi-core processor. The GPU is an AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.

The Wii U can support two Wii U GamePad controllers, up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers or Wii U Pro Controllers, and Wii accessories such as the Nunchuk, Classic Controller and Wii Balance Board.

Wii U uses internal flash memory. It also supports SD memory cards and external USB storage. The media used is Wii U and Wii optical discs.

As for networking, Wii U can access the internet via wireless (IEEE 802.11b/g/n) connection. Ite features four USB 2.0 connectors - two in the front and two in the rear - that support Wii LAN Adapters.

And audio: Wii U uses six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI connector, or analog output via the AV Multi Out connector.

Elsewhere, Nintendo confirmed it is working with Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video and YouTube to bring video to Wii U. These experiences will take advantage of the integrated second-screen experience, Nintendo said.

Now that more like it and YES!!!!! They added the Tesselation unit. That automatically make it superior to any console to date.

zaire360 said:
yo they will not be getting any of my money its looks like the gamecube and will all over again with all of that kiddy shit

You won't last long here. 

Durango and Orbis may have six-core cpus and and for sure will have at least 3gb on RAM. Crazy to think they may have double the cores and will have double the RAM.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Durango and Orbis may have six-core cpus and and for sure will have at least 3gb on RAM. Crazy to think they may have double the cores and will have double the RAM.

Crazy? Not in the slightest. It will just make dev cost 3-4 times higher. Is that all that you came to this thread to say though?

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:
zaire360 said:
yo they will not be getting any of my money its looks like the gamecube and will all over again with all of that kiddy shit

You won't last long here. 

lol

lilbroex said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Crazy? Not in the slightest. It will just make dev cost 3-4 times higher. Is that all that you came to this thread to say though?

I think it's a pretty crazy statistic.

It will not make dev costs 3-4 times higher lol double at most. And several things happening next gen will cut costs in other areas, but that's off topic.

@bolded Clearly not as I've made several other posts throughout this thread.

What's your problem? You don't have to be so hostile.

Also, note that those are early target specs given to devs and that since then the hardware has recieved a couple of boosts and tweaks.

Someone even said that Nintendo may be trying for 2GB RAM instead of 1.5.
Take with grain of salt.

I'd be happy to pay $349 if it means that WiiU will have solid 3rd party support the next 5-6 years!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

ethomaz said:
forest-spirit said:

I want Smash Bros. to support six players!

Two Wii U's pad controllers causes fps drop .

30FPS is pretty standard... Only one PS3 game runs at 60FPS in multiplayer that I can think of. A few more for the 360. I really don't see the problem here :3