By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Are You Convinced On WiiU? **UPDATED with launch window games list**

Are you convinced to buy the WiiU?

YESS...especially after this E3! 210 31.16%

NO..I need moar! 196 29.08%

NOO NOOO *Darth Vader's Episode VI one* 178 26.41%

Maybe.... 90 13.35%

Total:674
happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:
oniyide said:

I am completly indifferent to the situation, I dont care if it comes or not, I have two machines that can play the game (three if you count Vita). I just dont want you breaking your hand then you wont be able to type entertaining angry posts.

Hahaha :)
I'm glad you're a fan. Personally, I'm the opposite of indifferent, I'm actually really passionate about the topic. I want Nintendo to do well, I want them to be a serious key player across the industry, so small things like this matter to me.

I like punching things so if something like that happens it'll be really hard to resist

thats the problem right there.

Dah, it's a problem for you, because that rubs you the wrong way. It doesn't make me less correct, just a little more expressive, and possibly overly hopeful. But I keep my posts neutral almost always, so is it a problem?

I use the strengths of my passion and do my best to keep the irrational side at bay (which I find I do a pretty good job at in general), so I disagree! *with intonation*

On a side note, punching walls can be very fun at times.

i wouldnt say it rubs me the wrong way, but i do find it kind of strange and frankly sad that grown men and women or throwing hisssy fits over what is essentially something that isnt even really important in the grand shceme of life. Funny thing is you usually are level headed, which is why i was surprised this was your thread, i expected this from one of the other guys.  But hey if you wanna get your blood pressure up, this is a democracy, I used to be like that when i was like 13. 

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

I'm not. The tablet controller just seems like a bad idea, all it appears to do is add more fuzz and clunk to regular actions in games and I can see it getting really tiresome after a while, not to mention how unwieldy it seems at times.
Then there's online, Nintendo are starting to look a bit silly here, the Wii had almost no online implementation at all and their heads stated that it "wasn't important". Well it is and they realize that now.
Problem is, they're late to the party so all their "amazing" features likely exist in better form already and their whole approach kind of seems like an elderly person trying a smartphone for the first time.
There's also the fact that Nintendo have very few allies in the online gaming and functionality realm so they won't be able to provide anything that the PS4 and Nextbox won't do better

They are also touting HD as a selling point now, trying to make us excited that they release a console that can play HD content roughly six years too late. Their attempt to appeal to more "mature" audiences and developers could also fall flat since they appear to have set themselves up for the same troubles as the 7th generation; the competing consoles have a lot more horsepower (the gap won't be as vast as the Wii and PS360 though) and the WiiU could end up as an obscure and distant choice for multiplats and other 3rd party efforts, especially given their strained relations with developers from way back. Seems kinda like they're trying to be a lot like the competition in many ways.

Bottom line; they're biting off way too much to chew, they're trying to lure in casual tablet and phone "gamers" with their tablet ruse, they want to keep their motion control fans by keeping Wii-mote support and publishing very few titles that actually fully utilize the capability of this rather underappreciated controller and they want the "hardcore" to revel in late ports of games such as Mass Effect III.
They're trying to appease everyone but that won't work, Sony's Move and MS' Kinect should be proof enough of that, as should the Wii's serial flopping "hardcore" 3rd party titles.

And how much will this thing cost anyway? How much will peripherals and games cost? Everyone always thinks; "oh, well, they're Nintendo, they know what they're doing." You know what? I'm kind of getting the impression that they don't sometimes and the WiiU seems like irrefutable proof of it to me.
No, I am not convinced on the WiiU and my belief that it will lag far behind the Wii in lifetime sales stands firm.
They're trying to make the WiiU some kind of Jack of All Trades but might very well end up making it a Jackass instead.

Well, there are a lot of people, like myself, that don't have a tablet and don't have and HD console. I didn't have an TV capable of playing HD games when the xbox360 and PS3 came out, and only got such a TV a couple of years ago because I couldn't afford it. So the HD isn't "too late" for me. The more I think about it, this system is brilliant. Wii owners are almost as many as PS3 and Xbox360 owners combined. There is some overlap in those groups, but I think there are a lot of people like myself that the Wii U would be perfect for. 

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/06/nintendo-wii-us-price-will-pleasantly-surprise-customers/

As far as the price, Reggie at least said that people will be "pleasantly surprised" with the price. I would hope that would mean $299. Given all the factors of the equation, such as competing with the other consoles on price, and competing with tablets on price, I think it would have to be around this price. It is also concievable that they would go even cheaper ($250?), take a small hit on the profits early on in the hopes that they will make up for it when the cost of technology goes down. This would be a proactive move to avoid an embarassing price cut like happened with the 3DS.

And then there are the exclusive IP. Its tough to deny the exclusive IP. I think Retro is working on Metroid Prime 4 (not confirmed). There is an inevitable Zelda game coming and a 3D Mario game coming, as well as mario kart. I'll be ready and waiting for those. 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
they said to me this :

FUCK OFF CORE GAMER !!!

^this.

LOL!

oniyide said:

i wouldnt say it rubs me the wrong way, but i do find it kind of strange and frankly sad that grown men and women or throwing hisssy fits over what is essentially something that isnt even really important in the grand shceme of life. Funny thing is you usually are level headed, which is why i was surprised this was your thread, i expected this from one of the other guys.  But hey if you wanna get your blood pressure up, this is a democracy, I used to be like that when i was like 13. 

When you're passionate about a subject, to me, it doesn't matter what age you are, how important the subject is.

Obviously we're all a little immature to be talking about what is essentially a game, to a certain degree, but ultimately when you like a subject, no matter what it is, it's actually considered normal to be expressive about it. I understand that you can be passionate and grounded, but I am a more expressive individual, it doesn't necessarily make me less mature. If I don't keep it in check, maybe, but in general being expressive isn't immature if it's a topic you're heart is into.

I actually am going to buy this at launch.It may not have been what everyone was expecting with smash bros and zelda and a 3d mario,But if you look at the launch.They have a great variety of games and also games from established franchises.

Pikmin 3
Nsmbu
Nintendoland(only if it's packed in)
Ninja Gaiden 3
Ass 3..never played any ass games before so it should be a good start
Lego City Undercover..if it's launch

Around the Network

I rate the Pikmin franchise as highly as any other nintendo series(one of my fave newer ips in fact) and have been waiting years for a new installment so to me the wii u is as exciting as...er...some new machine with a new game where you get to run around a lot shooting and ducking and covering would be to a fan of that sort of thing...I'm also interested in a few other games Rayman, AC3, NSMBu etc(yeah yeah no GTA or RE so far but I can play em on my other machines)

so I'm sold...

ps...I'm not convinced the wii u will be the ultimate hardcore machine, or get full 3rd party support, but such things aren't that important to me.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Judging by pikmin and zombiU, the Wii U isn't a big leap over PS360 hardware-wise. ZombiU looked like a good looking PS360 game with better AA and slightly better lighting and textures.

Its remarkable that the number of graphics experts multiplies in Wii U threads.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Judging by pikmin and zombiU, the Wii U isn't a big leap over PS360 hardware-wise. ZombiU looked like a good looking PS360 game with better AA and slightly better lighting and textures.

Its remarkable that the number of graphics experts multiplies in Wii U threads.

Just an observation, and it's very relevant seeing as the Wii U is supposedly aiming to win the hardcores back. I've not only posted about graphics in the Wii U thread ;P

I will never say never as i have got every console in the past eventually, the only outstanding one being 3DS but theres plenty of time for that as well, but was there conference convincing, not by a long shot they need to do alot more to convince me to get one day 1, Right now im thinking start of year 2 when all the launch titles will be cheap and mario and zelda are out.

badgenome said:
Yes, convinced not to buy one.

I don't see any Wii stuff in your profile, so I am not sure that you are the best person to ask about being convinced.  You apparently weren't convinced about the Wii either.