By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider: Crossroads - Full E3 Trailer Released

Tagged games:

What Do You Rate The Tomb Raider Trailer ??

10 20 28.99%

9 13 18.84%

8 16 23.19%

7 5 7.25%

6 3 4.35%

5 5 7.25%

4 2 2.90%

3 1 1.45%

2 1 1.45%

1 3 4.35%

Total:69
DarkTemplar said:
gumby_trucker said:
Slimebeast said:
Where is the gameplay? They turned a good, traditional, gameplay-oriented game series into an interactive movie. That trailer was atrocious. They showed gameplay but there was no gameplay!

Even the tiny segment where she killed the deer seemed directed (like this: you have just set camp and the game tells you are starving and the game tells you to search around camp for an animal, and voilá - a few steps away stands a deer perfectly waiting for your deadly and ultra cool shooting cinematic).

I am so angry how they are turning gaming into Hollywood and how easily gamers are wowed by cinematic presentation. Seriously this is dangerous. If this continues, and it seems it will, in 5 or 10 years from now nearly all AAA games will be interactive movies made for the ignorant masses.

Was just about to make such a post, glad to see I was beaten to the punch!

How can anybody be excited by this garbage??

@whoever said the anumation sucks, I agree!

I've been playing Tomb Raider games since the first one on PC and I have to agree with you guys, to me this trailer don't look good. Tomb Raider games are about exploration, puzzles and a lite bit of action. Unfortunately this game seems to be all about action (which can be good, but itsn't what a Tomb Raider game was supose to be).

Also they are making one of most badass female characters in the game industry beg for help? The protagonist of this game is not even close to what Lara Croft is.

I agree with your first paragraph.

@ the bolded: I think this entry was meant to be more about her becomming like the Lara Croft we know her as in the previous games (although they're not linked in terms of story). She's a young adult finding herself rather than already "adventure" hardened.

Around the Network
DarkTemplar said:
gumby_trucker said:
Slimebeast said:
Where is the gameplay? They turned a good, traditional, gameplay-oriented game series into an interactive movie. That trailer was atrocious. They showed gameplay but there was no gameplay!

Even the tiny segment where she killed the deer seemed directed (like this: you have just set camp and the game tells you are starving and the game tells you to search around camp for an animal, and voilá - a few steps away stands a deer perfectly waiting for your deadly and ultra cool shooting cinematic).

I am so angry how they are turning gaming into Hollywood and how easily gamers are wowed by cinematic presentation. Seriously this is dangerous. If this continues, and it seems it will, in 5 or 10 years from now nearly all AAA games will be interactive movies made for the ignorant masses.

I've been playing Tomb Raider games since the first one on PC and I have to agree with you guys, to me this trailer don't look good. Tomb Raider games are about exploration, puzzles and a lite bit of action. Unfortunately this game seems to be all about action (which can be good, but itsn't what a Tomb Raider game was supose to be).

Also they are making one of most badass female characters in the game industry beg for help? The protagonist of this game is not even close to what Lara Croft is.

hmm it us a prequel from what i understood before she became a tomb raider or the reason why.... to me tomb raider has always been more about action/puzzle than exploration.... then again unless it's like elder scroll, fallout, or maybe bioshock/boarderland i don't call it exploration... 

yeah it looks like there is a good bit of cinematic then again it also looks like it's mostly the first third of the game or less and the obstacle runs look pretty much like they use to be back in the days.. kind of prince of persia like (first one of course).... it's a trailer so of course you see a lot of cinematic otherwise it be called gameplay trailer... it is SE and crystal dynamics making the game they know better than any of us what lara croft and tomb raider is about.... 

and slimbeast you can have a lot of cinematic while keeping the game experience and game play intact.... all cinematic rich games don't have to be like on ps like uncharted or mgs.... you still can have games that are games :)

Scoobes said:
DarkTemplar said:
gumby_trucker said:
Slimebeast said:

I agree with your first paragraph.

@ the bolded: I think this entry was meant to be more about her becomming like the Lara Croft we know her as in the previous games (although they're not linked in terms of story). She's a young adult finding herself rather than already "adventure" hardened.

Interesting, thanks for clarifying this part of the story to me =)

Slimebeast said:

This sums up my thoughts up perfectly.

I'm an advocate for motion controls, Nintendo, and Kicking freaking Toad to the Moon!

3DS Friend Code - 0860-3269-1286

Is it just me or is the voice acting kind of terrible?

Around the Network

yeah, like slimebeast said, in 5-10 years games will be only interactive videos were we have to push a button every 30 minutes or so...and everyone will be like "AWESOME" just because these scripted linear games will have better graphics.

endimion said:
DarkTemplar said:
gumby_trucker said:
Slimebeast said:

hmm it us a prequel from what i understood before she became a tomb raider or the reason why.... to me tomb raider has always been more about action/puzzle than exploration.... then again unless it's like elder scroll, fallout, or maybe bioshock/boarderland i don't call it exploration... 

yeah it looks like there is a good bit of cinematic then again it also looks like it's mostly the first third of the game or less and the obstacle runs look pretty much like they use to be back in the days.. kind of prince of persia like (first one of course).... it's a trailer so of course you see a lot of cinematic otherwise it be called gameplay trailer... it is SE and crystal dynamics making the game they know better than any of us what lara croft and tomb raider is about.... 

and slimbeast you can have a lot of cinematic while keeping the game experience and game play intact....

Absolutely you can. Half-Life 2 is by some being described as cinematic game and that's a masterpiece. Red Dead Redemption is cinematic but I adore the game and I think the gameplay in Red Dead is rewarding enough. Good old cutscenes put between genuine gameplay segments, if done in a sophisticated way works very well. I am not against cutscenes in general. 

But it often goes hand to hand - more cinematic, more dumbed down gameplay. That's the easiest way to describe this trend we are witnessing. I think David Jaffe makes the same connection too.

Ajescent said:
Just for the line "I hate Tombs" I rate it 10/10

Tomb Hater?

d21lewis said:
Ajescent said:
Just for the line "I hate Tombs" I rate it 10/10

Tomb Hater?

eh?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Have to wait for more gameplay footage to get excited, way too many cutscenes and QTE, I hope hitman does not go down this road *heads over to hitman thread*

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)