By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-Enix should sell their game licences to Mistawalker.

Dodece said:
I know I am going to take flack for this, but I am going to say it anyway, because it damn well needs to be said. Keep Square franchises away from Mistwalker, because they aren't worthy of what this developer can become. Yes I said what you think I said. Mistwalker is perhaps the most western of the JRPG developers. Blue Dragon was damn near sandbox, and Lost Odyssey actually had the audacity to be well written.

The beauty of Blue Dragon was that it dared to just be a big fucking game, and that is something you typically don't see that much in this genre. You can spend two hundred hours playing Blue Dragon, and still not level your team all the way up. Plus still have bosses to fight, and locations to discover. The scope of the game was just a thing of beauty.

Lost Odyssey on the other hand went well beyond the piss poor writing we have come to expect from this genre of games. Can we be honest most JRPGs are written with eleven year old boys in mind. They are rarely the stuff of sophistication, and seldom have deeper meanings. What Lost Odyssey actually did was speak to subjects like how pollution could victimize people that were yet unborn, or how damaging solitary confinement could be to a individual. The stories in this game were simply heart wrenching and moving. I am not ashamed to admit that this game made me a grown man well up with tears.

To me it seems almost like a sacrilege to move this inspired developer into the position of pandering to what has to be the lowest common denominator. I want to see them pushing the envelope rather then being brought into line with the fold. This genre needs someone that is going to push ideas like scope, and good story telling. Rather then on rails, cut scene fests. Which is what they would have to do to maintain a franchise like Final Fantasy. What would be gained there would in no way overshadow what they could do with pure creative freedom.

Around the Network

I agree with Dodece. I don't want Mystwalker to take over the FF franchise. I want for them to continue to find themselves. Though I wouldn't mind if they made more games in the style of the pre FF VII (In other words a simple story with complex adult characters. Less Sci Fi, more Fantasy.)

I hope Mystwalker becomes successful enough to open their own internal studio, instead of outsourcing it's ideas.

^^^I agree. They need to establish themselves with more solid games. They obviously have the potential. iOS isn't the way to do this, imo.

I agree with Dodece for not wanting Mistwalker to touch Square games, but not for the same reasons. I'm shocked that anyone can really praise Blue Dragon at all. That game had zero redeeming features outside of the Uematsu (not Mistwalker) OST and the simple, engaging battle system. There is no difference between it and any other JRPG with a world map.

To claim it did something special (outside of the crazy/awesome boss theme) is crazy.

Lost Odyssey, on the other hand, was actually fantastic. It didn't have awful characters, it felt like the story and plot was fleshed out and paced competently. Everyone about it rectifies the very lackluster Blue Dragon. I look forward to The Last Story to see if the evolution continues.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I loved Blue Dragon, I loved Shu's (sp? the main character) "I can do anything" attitude. I know it's overused but it still had more emotins that other games. In 13-2 all I can remember being emotinnal is Caius' speech at the end before the final battle. It also had the same artstyle as Dragon Quest so maybe I Was also fooling myself thinking I was playing an easier version that that game. Also I LOVE the Job system.

Around the Network
jack100 said:
I loved Blue Dragon, I loved Shu's (sp? the main character) "I can do anything" attitude. I know it's overused but it still had more emotins that other games. In 13-2 all I can remember being emotinnal is Caius' speech at the end before the final battle. It also had the same artstyle as Dragon Quest so maybe I Was also fooling myself thinking I was playing an easier version that that game. Also I LOVE the Job system.

Honestly, it reminded me of a souless version of Dragon Quest with an even worse set of story and characters.

Maybe I'm being harsh in retrospect, but I honestly felt I wasted 50 hours of my life on Blue Dragon (not nearly as much of a waste as Star Ocean 4 was though).

@outlawauron - I haven't beaten SO4 yet...those battle trophies suck, but isn't it a really really short game though?assuming that you don't care for the battle trophies or side quests....bust mostly battle trophies. With BD when I was maxing everything out, it felt like progression. In most DQ games killing a Metal King Slime is awesome progression. As good as DQ9 was, I felt there was no class progreession. THere was no max, since you can just go back to level 1 class, lol...

jack100 said:
@outlawauron - I haven't beaten SO4 yet...those battle trophies suck, but isn't it a really really short game though?assuming that you don't care for the battle trophies or side quests....bust mostly battle trophies. With BD when I was maxing everything out, it felt like progression. In most DQ games killing a Metal King Slime is awesome progression. As good as DQ9 was, I felt there was no class progreession. THere was no max, since you can just go back to level 1 class, lol...

In Star Ocean 4, I got every character's special ending while doing every single private action. Both playthroughs (Blue Dragon + SO4) were over 50 hours.