By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-Enix should sell their game licences to Mistawalker.

jack100 said:
@hatmoza - hahahahahaha, that's the whole point, they should sell everything they own for like a dollar to Mistwalker and just stop existing.....they'll be doing everyone a favour. Of course less Dragon Quest.

@Munkeh111 - If SE should make remakes it should go to the Nitendo Consoles. Playstation got most of the final fantasy remakes (except 3 I think) where as Nintendo didn't get any of the playstation ones. They should make a remake with FF7, 8 and 9 like an anthology pack for the Wii/WiiU. And another remake for FF10, 12, and a 3rd one for the 2 13 games. (Also this is part of SE that annoys me, they don't like to remake anything that came out on Sony to the other consoles, grrrrrr)

@Kresnik - Yeah, you're partially right about the Super Mario RPG, but SE owns some stuff, like Geno, Mallow and Smithy, if I remmeber correctly.

@cusman - I don't think SE had anything to do with Eidos. They just own it, Eidos would have made those games even without them. IT's their Japanese company that sucks.

@NobleTeam360 - Yeah, Though should make a LO2, it MUST have a sequal. On your second point, you're right, I"m mostly talking about their Japanese RPG cmpany that makes JRPGs mostly.

while true... someone else could have bought them like EA... like they did bioware and royally screwed them up (like EA did bioware :P), MIcrosoft did Rare etc. Eidos lost 100+ million before SE bought them. Eidos was hurting financially before SE bought them. Eidos has been the best since their ion storm/splurge of great new IP's like legacy of kain days imo. Whether it is dumb luck, or brilliance on SE part  the dev houses in Eidos are awesome.

Around the Network

Mistwalker has no games rated higher Metacritic or User Score than Birth By Sleep, TWEWY, and Dragon Quest IX... SE obv isn't that much more incompetent than mistwalker.

In short, it is not good business practice to hand off a number of series to that of which generates revenue for them. Mistwalker is not needed for obvious reasons.

BasilZero said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Why won't MS make another LO? it sold well what is there excuse?

FPS 4 lyfe?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

@ishiki - I've already said this before. It's because of the name Square Enix. The lowest they'll get is probably an 8.5, for example, even for the worst game made ever. Even before the game comes out people already know what the reviewers might gives these people. You can't tell be Black ops 2 or GTA V won't get high scores, cause they will....not matter how badly they suck and no matter how repetitive they are to previous installments. Look at the ratings before FF7, they were Mistwalker type ratings, cause they were not a well known company here back then......just like Mistwalker is.

@PSwii60 - They generate revenue cause of hte name alone, no matter how bad the game is, people WILL BUY THEM. All they need is Cloud and Sepherot(sp?) (arguable the worst characters that Square has coughed up) and people will buy their crap.

Around the Network
jack100 said:
@ishiki - I've already said this before. It's because of the name Square Enix. The lowest they'll get is probably an 8.5, for example, even for the worst game made ever. Even before the game comes out people already know what the reviewers might gives these people. You can't tell be Black ops 2 or GTA V won't get high scores, cause they will....not matter how badly they suck and no matter how repetitive they are to previous installments. Look at the ratings before FF7, they were Mistwalker type ratings, cause they were not a well known company here back then......just like Mistwalker is.

@PSwii60 - They generate revenue cause of hte name alone, no matter how bad the game is, people WILL BUY THEM. All they need is Cloud and Sepherot(sp?) (arguable the worst characters that Square has coughed up) and people will buy their crap.

The name Square Enix doesn't account for much. Square Enix has plenty of games that have scored less than 8.5 including some of their major ips. For example Final Fantasy XIV has metacritic score of 49 and Final Fantasy XIII-2 has a score of  7.9.  Honestly, what is the worst game Square Enix made this generation? The reviews for Squares game have been all over the place this gen.  The rest is your opinion about the characters and other stuff. jack100 you might not enjoy Square Enix offering this generation but they are well above Mistwalker in quality. 

@jack100 Exactly. Anyway, regardless of how an individual, gamers, or analysts views their quality, they generate revenue by any means.

I know I am going to take flack for this, but I am going to say it anyway, because it damn well needs to be said. Keep Square franchises away from Mistwalker, because they aren't worthy of what this developer can become. Yes I said what you think I said. Mistwalker is perhaps the most western of the JRPG developers. Blue Dragon was damn near sandbox, and Lost Odyssey actually had the audacity to be well written.

The beauty of Blue Dragon was that it dared to just be a big fucking game, and that is something you typically don't see that much in this genre. You can spend two hundred hours playing Blue Dragon, and still not level your team all the way up. Plus still have bosses to fight, and locations to discover. The scope of the game was just a thing of beauty.

Lost Odyssey on the other hand went well beyond the piss poor writing we have come to expect from this genre of games. Can we be honest most JRPGs are written with eleven year old boys in mind. They are rarely the stuff of sophistication, and seldom have deeper meanings. What Lost Odyssey actually did was speak to subjects like how pollution could victimize people that were yet unborn, or how damaging solitary confinement could be to a individual. The stories in this game were simply heart wrenching and moving. I am not ashamed to admit that this game made me a grown man well up with tears.

To me it seems almost like a sacrilege to move this inspired developer into the position of pandering to what has to be the lowest common denominator. I want to see them pushing the envelope rather then being brought into line with the fold. This genre needs someone that is going to push ideas like scope, and good story telling. Rather then on rails, cut scene fests. Which is what they would have to do to maintain a franchise like Final Fantasy. What would be gained there would in no way overshadow what they could do with pure creative freedom.

jack100 said:

Maybe mistwalkers get bonus points compared to say Nihon Falcom or Atlus,  because Sakaguchi and Uematsu's name is attached to it.

ermm where's all these ratings before FF7? I'm pretty certain Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4, Final Fantasy 6, Super Mario RPG got higher reviews relative to their time than any Mistwalker game.

Lets see,  Final Fantasy XIII-2 79, Star Ocean 4 got a 74. Final Fantasy XIV got a 49 (which is quite bad). Which aside from Dragon Quests are their biggest franchises.  

Not to mention Monolith, and Atlus with Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Xenoblade... All was able to a achieve better scores than recent SE or Mistwalker games.

Also people will buy the FF games based on name alone, that doesn't mean they'll always rate them highly (and they in fact do not FFXIII-2 (6.8) for example Metacritic user score or for even more LOLS, Diablo III (4) or ME3 (4) user score).

@Marteds - At least FF14 GOT a 49......that game was UNPLAYABLE....it shoud have gotten a ZERO, lol. THe Square Enix name gave them a 49....that's an insult. If Mistwalker made an unplayable game like that, people would have given them a well deserved ZERo, the actual review of FF14 at launch. Also 8.5 is some random high number I'm using.

@Dodece - Well said. I wasn't thinking like that. I just want people to know that there is another way....the MISTWALKER way, lol. I guess if smart people buy JRPG eventually Mistwalker's quality will shine unlike SquareEnix crap, lol.

@ishiki - lol, like I said above 8.5 was a random high number. Also like I said above giving FF14 a ranking of 49 for unplayable game.....seriously. Also SO is a tri-ace game published by SquareEnix. I'm saying Mistwalker type ratings cause that's true....they are 'pre internet popularity' but they had Mistwalker level rating. It's only when they got popular they started getting higher ratings.....like the 49 for FF14 *roll eyes*