By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Developers of the Generation?

Tagged games:

Best developer of this generation according to you?

Nintendo EAD 71 26.89%

Naughty Dog 86 32.58%

Blizzard 9 3.41%

Valve 23 8.71%

Sony Santa Monica 31 11.74%

Bungie 11 4.17%

Rockstar 11 4.17%

Another Sony studio 1 0.38%

Another Nintendo studio 3 1.14%

Other (please clarify) 18 6.82%

Total:264

ND = overrated
Uncharted is not that good, their best game is imo Jak & Daxter, and The last of us well...we will see! is not even out yet and is already the best game ever just because looks great!

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
- " That's not what I'm saying. It's understandable that someone dislikes open world games, but it's not understandable that said person would say open world = bad, as in bad for everyone. No review would have "Open world" written as a negative bullet point, for the same reason the genre wouldn't be there. It would be understandable for me to not like a FPS game because I don't like FPSs (for example), but it wouldn't be understandable for me to say a game is bad because it's an FPS. "

Okay, that makes sense. But I still don't think he was speaking objectively. I guess we'll just have to wait for PullusPardos to clarify.

Okay let me clarify things 

the Linearity that I am talking about , is not a genre, Its the way the game hold your hand into a very guided exprience , I think Slimebeast put it in a better wording than I am 

"Bioshock and Half-Life 2 are linear but free. Call of Duty and Uncharted are linear and controlled - as in tightly scripted, filled with cut-scenes, filled with obvious directions to guide the player forward and having almost no sections were the player can make anything wrong - the game essentially plays by itself and you watch this drama as a bystander." 

I also gave an example of that Call of Duty mission, here 

Why people love this mission is that its the only mission in Call Of Duty 4 that is more "Open" than the rest, which to most CoD fans is the best mission ever made in a video game, but as you can see this mission there is the "wait, move, shoot, stay, move, switch to pistol, switch to sniper, kill the guy on the right, kill the guy on the left...ect" as if the player isn't actually playing, but watching an interactive movie.

and if you mess it up, you will get the game over screen and retry the SAME EXACT way, until you do what the game wants you to do,exactly, also you cannot move farther away, in this mission the excuse is that the air around the map is radioactive, which magically doesn't effect them being one meter away (wtf?... well atleast its not invisible walls "sic call Of Duty"), it doesn't give you any sense of freedom, which is fine in a tutorial stage.... but not THE WHOLE GAME, also every enemy in the game is placed somewhere and move in a scripted position , so playing this level again you will have the same experience, and the world is not interactive at all, so there is no reward for people who like to replay a mission and see if they "What if I did this instead of that?" "what if I went here instead of there?" this is what Half Life did among other things, sure it was a cinematic game, but it didn't hand hold you like the whole game is a tutorial ,Hey , just so you guys know, I DO NOT  hate cutscenes, in fact Metal Gear and Legacy Of Kain are some of my favourite games , MGS for example is famous (or Infamous?) for its long cutscenes, but even with that, the core gameplay is very free, you are given a lot to do, and it encourages you to replay the game over and over, and try different things, for example you can finish a level while killing everyone, or if you werent seen you will get a different dialog for example, there is a good reward for people who experiment on game mechanics, hence why there are too many easter eggs, and hidden stuff.

(I think I went too much off topic, so is this enough clarification ?)

freebs2 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
1. Nintendo (really gets me how people can't include them in their list)
2. Valve (for Portal 2 would be first, but no Half Life 3 knocks it down)
3. Monolith Soft (Xenoblade. 'nuff said).
4. Namco (Tales of___games)
5. Capcom (I disagree with their policies, but their Nintendo games, like Revelations, MH3, Resi4 Wii means they deserve a place on this list).

Naughty Dog don't deserve a place, because the Uncharted games are massively overhyped, and that's ALL they've done to my knowledge. You need width and breadth to be a good dev, not winging it on one series. I preferred it when they did the Crash Bandicoot games...

just personal opinions all around..some just don't care much for Nintendo EAD games, that's all. 

And lol ND doesn't deserve it? The guys who made one of the most highly regarded 'new' IPs this gen? I get it if you don't like them (have you played their games btw? Serious Q) but you shouldn't be surprised others include it in their list. I for one can't wait to see how TLOU ends up. See they moved to ANOTHER new IP the moment they expanded into a bigger team. You are crazy if you think what they achieved with the resources they had this gen is not worthy of a mention.

You've pretty much nailed it, it's just personal opinios. A lot of people, including myself, have found UC a shallow game.

oh certainly, same way many including myself find games like zelda and smb to overhyped and boring. I completely agree :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
freebs2 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
1. Nintendo (really gets me how people can't include them in their list)
2. Valve (for Portal 2 would be first, but no Half Life 3 knocks it down)
3. Monolith Soft (Xenoblade. 'nuff said).
4. Namco (Tales of___games)
5. Capcom (I disagree with their policies, but their Nintendo games, like Revelations, MH3, Resi4 Wii means they deserve a place on this list).

Naughty Dog don't deserve a place, because the Uncharted games are massively overhyped, and that's ALL they've done to my knowledge. You need width and breadth to be a good dev, not winging it on one series. I preferred it when they did the Crash Bandicoot games...

just personal opinions all around..some just don't care much for Nintendo EAD games, that's all. 

And lol ND doesn't deserve it? The guys who made one of the most highly regarded 'new' IPs this gen? I get it if you don't like them (have you played their games btw? Serious Q) but you shouldn't be surprised others include it in their list. I for one can't wait to see how TLOU ends up. See they moved to ANOTHER new IP the moment they expanded into a bigger team. You are crazy if you think what they achieved with the resources they had this gen is not worthy of a mention.

You've pretty much nailed it, it's just personal opinios. A lot of people, including myself, have found UC a shallow game.

oh certainly, same way many including myself find games like zelda and smb to overhyped and boring. I completely agree :)

Yep, I also think Zelda is a bit overhyped and boring at times.

pezus said:

@above: I never got the hype behind Zelda, so I agree with you. I see even the most prominent Nintendo fans on this site struggling to complete Skyward Sword for some reason. Some have been trying to complete it for months! I guess it's just not compelling enough

I don't know, I'm referring to Zelda as a series, I haven't started playing SS yet.

I liked Wind Waker a lot, also liked much (but more moderatly) Ocarina Of Time 3D (haven't played the original) but Twilight Princess was just meh to me.

Around the Network
pezus said:

@above: I never got the hype behind Zelda, so I agree with you. I see even the most prominent Nintendo fans on this site struggling to complete Skyward Sword for some reason. Some have been trying to complete it for months! I guess it's just not compelling enough

too hardcore for them... :P

I dunno why though, at least in my opinion, ZSS is one of the best games I've ever played.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Valve is a fav dev imo they make portal lef4dead and hafl life all from one studio and all are good game.

pezus said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Valve doesn't get enough credit imo, they should be up there with Ninty and Ndog

This. You know there are far too few PC gamers here when Valve only has 12 votes out of 192

I actually don´t like their games because they are games from the First Person view. Didnt like Portal at all btw.

pezus said:
AndrewWK said:
pezus said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Valve doesn't get enough credit imo, they should be up there with Ninty and Ndog

This. You know there are far too few PC gamers here when Valve only has 12 votes out of 192

I actually don´t like their games because they are games from the First Person view. Didnt like Portal at all btw.

Well Dota 2 is not First person

I hate DOTA or League of Legends

AndrewWK said:
pezus said:

Well Dota 2 is not First person

I hate DOTA or League of Legends

Don't agitate pezus, he's icelandic.