By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it game over for Nintendo?

Atari, Sega have fallen: Nintendo next?

yes 94 16.12%

no 441 75.64%

life goes on 46 7.89%

Total:581
Turkish said:
But Nintendo should look out, if handheld gaming dies Sony could still turn the Vita into a phone and compete with them smartphones. What will Nintendo do in such an event? Drop the 3DS like a brick?

I chuckle when I read statements like this. Sony (nee Sony Ericsson) hasn't been relevant in the smartphone market for four years now. You're basically saying that if Playstation portable gaming starts to sink, Sony can just shackle it to an iron ball. Problem solved!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Nintendo's loss is equal to why 3DS launched slowly and why Wii dropped off so quick.

Lack of games.

It can't be repeated too much... games sell consoles... software sells hardware!

3DS was too expensive and could have probably sold at a meager profit at $199. Combine that with putting out actual games on day one including the online store and it would have never needed a price cut.

Wii simply stopped receiving high quality and widely wanted games in 2009. NSBMWii was pretty much it. From then on Nintendo seemed to already by focused on next-gen hardware behind the scenes because their support at retail was lacking... seriously.

famousringo said:
Turkish said:
But Nintendo should look out, if handheld gaming dies Sony could still turn the Vita into a phone and compete with them smartphones. What will Nintendo do in such an event? Drop the 3DS like a brick?

I chuckle when I read statements like this. Sony (nee Sony Ericsson) hasn't been relevant in the smartphone market for four years now. You're basically saying that if Playstation portable gaming starts to sink, Sony can just shackle it to an iron ball. Problem solved!

I believe Sony will make a huge comeback in the phone business now that they bought out Ericsson. I can't wait for the first Sony branded phones.

superchunk said:
Nintendo's loss is equal to why 3DS launched slowly and why Wii dropped off so quick.

Lack of games.

It can't be repeated too much... games sell consoles... software sells hardware!

3DS was too expensive and could have probably sold at a meager profit at $199. Combine that with putting out actual games on day one including the online store and it would have never needed a price cut.

Wii simply stopped receiving high quality and widely wanted games in 2009. NSBMWii was pretty much it. From then on Nintendo seemed to already by focused on next-gen hardware behind the scenes because their support at retail was lacking... seriously.

That is what causes their usual dip each cycle, they rely heavily on their first party software and when they are gearing up for the next gen there are few new titles to float their boat, so to say.

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Joelcool7 said:
Umm I too wouldn't bother reading it. Any article suggesting Nintendo is or could even possibly go down next is insane. I'd suspect the author was either drunk or high! If anyone is going to be killed off it will be Sony. Sony is bleeding money and the PlayStation Vita is currently on course to die soon, it would be suicide for Sony to maintain its PS3/PSP business model. The idea of high powered expensive hardware is a very dumb idea consumers don't seem to care. PS3 has done fairly well but how much better have they done compared to 360? Not much better and the Wii slaughtered them. PS2 slaughtered the high end Xbox and GameCube, PSOne beat far superior hardware like the N64. The GameBoy beat Game Gear.

High end consoles simply are not highly profitable and the business model is rarely successful. Nintendo is the only company who was able to pull it off. Selling fewer GameCubes and still turning a larger profit then MS and Sony.

Nintendo could take consistent 500 million dollar annual losses for years before dying. The company remains in a very strong position. Arguably stronger then Microsoft in the console industry and Sony doesn't even come close!

Wait, Nintendo could take 500 million losses yearly before dying? But Sony, who lost billions each year for the past 10 years or so doesn't even come close? LOL

Lets see reaction of Nintendo shareholders when they see Nintendo post a 5 billion loss like Sony did.

where do you get this rubbish from?

this misinformation is almost as bad as your recent predictions...

PS3 will overtake 360 by next quarter and the Wii by 2014. Make.believe :)

I revised those predictions by 1 year. Imo PS3 will sometime overtake 360 around this time next year, altough I don't close the possibility of it happening this year. PS3 could overtake Wii by 31 december 2015.

When do you think these predictions happening?

Around the Network
Turkish said:
famousringo said:
Turkish said:

I believe Sony will make a huge comeback in the phone business now that they bought out Ericsson. I can't wait for the first Sony branded phones.

Sony is in quite the nebulous position currently. They have lost a lot of investor confidence and that usually spills into the (non-diehard) customer base, so I'm personally not expecting a miracle comeback in any of their markets. More like a slow recovery that may take a decade or more to fix even if they start produce "perfect" products the lack of confidence that the market currently has for them will hold them back. As the old saying goes trust is easy to lose, hard to regain.

Soooo Wii is the undisputed winner of this gen, DS really beat PSP, 3DS is outselling Vita 3:1......and the WiiU is getting a headstart on MS and Sony.

so......wtf is with the title

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Turkish said:
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Joelcool7 said:
Umm I too wouldn't bother reading it. Any article suggesting Nintendo is or could even possibly go down next is insane. I'd suspect the author was either drunk or high! If anyone is going to be killed off it will be Sony. Sony is bleeding money and the PlayStation Vita is currently on course to die soon, it would be suicide for Sony to maintain its PS3/PSP business model. The idea of high powered expensive hardware is a very dumb idea consumers don't seem to care. PS3 has done fairly well but how much better have they done compared to 360? Not much better and the Wii slaughtered them. PS2 slaughtered the high end Xbox and GameCube, PSOne beat far superior hardware like the N64. The GameBoy beat Game Gear.

High end consoles simply are not highly profitable and the business model is rarely successful. Nintendo is the only company who was able to pull it off. Selling fewer GameCubes and still turning a larger profit then MS and Sony.

Nintendo could take consistent 500 million dollar annual losses for years before dying. The company remains in a very strong position. Arguably stronger then Microsoft in the console industry and Sony doesn't even come close!

Wait, Nintendo could take 500 million losses yearly before dying? But Sony, who lost billions each year for the past 10 years or so doesn't even come close? LOL

Lets see reaction of Nintendo shareholders when they see Nintendo post a 5 billion loss like Sony did.

where do you get this rubbish from?

this misinformation is almost as bad as your recent predictions...

PS3 will overtake 360 by next quarter and the Wii by 2014. Make.believe :)

I revised those predictions by 1 year. Imo PS3 will sometime overtake 360 around this time next year, altough I don't close the possibility of it happening this year. PS3 could overtake Wii by 31 december 2015.

When do you think these predictions happening?

Sonys next year fiscal forecast shows they expect PS3 sales to remain flat, expecting PS3 + PS2 shipments to reach 16 million.

Then there is Oct-Dec, months that have been proven to have more total sales then Jan-september. Then you see that MS hasnt dropped the 360s price since 2008. PS3 has by comparison dropped its price by $150 in the last 3 years. Then you have Halo 4 and the inevitable marketing push.

So PS3 will not get a price drop this year, just bundles, but MS will have those too. There is a guaranteed 360 price drop this year and a Halo 4 ad blitz.

How do you predict PS3 will overtake 360 LTD sales in one year? I by comparison it will be 2015 at the earliest when PS3 does it, when this current gen is said and done for a while. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Sony will exit the game hardware business before Nintendo does.

Counter points to this, it's not all that bad for Nintendo ...

- The Wii is the no.1 selling console of the past generation and Nintendo has built up a monstrous cash vault due to it and the DS' success which will sustain them for ages. They'd have to lose money for TWENTY more years at the same rate to finally go into debt. Counter that with Sony which has several billion in debt owing right now, so much so that the debt rating on Sony was downgraded (which is horrible).

- The Super Mario games are selling their biggest numbers since well ... ever (even bigger than the 1980s hey day on the NES). Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 will both clear 10 million life time easily, New Super Mario Bros. 2 will likely go above 15 million. Lets not forget software is where the real money is made and Nintendo still has a reliable roster of hit IP to always come back to. Mario has rebounded big time from a down period on the GameCube and Nintendo is very effective at using nostalgia.

- The Wii U will have a year head start and looking at recent NPD data ... it looks like the market is starving for new hardware. They probably could clean up if they have a solid launch lineup. Will the Wii U repeat the Wii's success? Maybe not. But it should pretty easily top the GameCube or N64 and even the SNES if Nintendo plays their cards right.

- The 3DS is selling fantastic in Japan and is poised to be the go to platform there for the next 5-6 years. It looks like they could not only get the DS audience back there but also the PSP audience there too as Vita is in big trouble. In the West things are tougher, but it's not like the 3DS is not selling anything at all, the 3DS had strong holiday seasons in both the US/Europe to be able to hit 15 million instal base already.

- Nintendo should return to profitability next year. The 3DS will begin turning a profit again in just a couple of months.

- The influx of uber-casual gaming on iPad/iPhone (ie: Cut the Rope) is moving Nintendo back towards catering more to core players. Which isn't the worst thing in the world. Gimme Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus over Cut the Rope anyday. 

Not sure if serious...