By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will the Wii franchise sell?

Zucas said:
Some outrageous predictions I see.

My guess is the Wii will sell anywhere between 70-110 million lifetime. Meaing Wii Sports, as unless Wii Sports 2 release I don't see it taken out of the bundle, would have that same range minus half of whatever Japan sales are if rates continue. So about 60-100 million for Wii Sports. Here's the rest of my predictions:

Wii Sports- 60-100 million
Wii Play- 20 million(at the most and that is really pushing it)
Wii Fit- 10 million
Wii Music- 5 million
Wii Chess- 2 million

Of course a lot of this is based off assumptions, such as Wii Sports won't be unbundled. Not to mention its really hard to predict how much Wii Music and Wii Chess will sell.

Explain to me why the Wii which is selling better than any other console in history, even with supply constraints would sell less than the PS1 or PS2?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
Galaki said:
Million said:
Umm there's a number of reasons why I can't see the Wii achieving PS2 sales , one being that it's hardware is already outdated in comparison to the PS2 ( considering people would consider PS3/360 hardware outdated further supports this.) the casual market wants the latest and most trendy thing , the Wii can't be the "latest craze" for 8 years.

I predict total lifetime sales of 45-60 Million.

PS2 was considered outdated. iPod was considered lacking in features and outdated. DS was considered outdated. Check out some charts and remove those biased thoughts in your head while you're here.

Oh yeah, PS3/360 are long outdated before their releases, compared to PC.

The PS2 was outdated?

The PS2 slim or the PS2 that could launch missiles?

But the Wii is outdated by 10 Years , The PS2 wasn't outdated nearly as much and the PS2 was an lifecycle extention strategy not a launch console.

Million said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Galaki said:
Million said:
Umm there's a number of reasons why I can't see the Wii achieving PS2 sales , one being that it's hardware is already outdated in comparison to the PS2 ( considering people would consider PS3/360 hardware outdated further supports this.) the casual market wants the latest and most trendy thing , the Wii can't be the "latest craze" for 8 years.

I predict total lifetime sales of 45-60 Million.

PS2 was considered outdated. iPod was considered lacking in features and outdated. DS was considered outdated. Check out some charts and remove those biased thoughts in your head while you're here.

Oh yeah, PS3/360 are long outdated before their releases, compared to PC.

The PS2 was outdated?

The PS2 slim or the PS2 that could launch missiles?

But the Wii is outdated by 10 Years , The PS2 wasn't outdated nearly as much and the PS2 was an lifecycle extention strategy not a launch console.

NES was just as outdated as the Wii is when it launched

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

When its all said and done the Wii series will be 2nd only to Mario, I don't think it can beat Mario unless even more games are announced for the Wii series.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Zucas said:
Some outrageous predictions I see.

My guess is the Wii will sell anywhere between 70-110 million lifetime. Meaing Wii Sports, as unless Wii Sports 2 release I don't see it taken out of the bundle, would have that same range minus half of whatever Japan sales are if rates continue. So about 60-100 million for Wii Sports. Here's the rest of my predictions:

Wii Sports- 60-100 million
Wii Play- 20 million(at the most and that is really pushing it)
Wii Fit- 10 million
Wii Music- 5 million
Wii Chess- 2 million

Of course a lot of this is based off assumptions, such as Wii Sports won't be unbundled. Not to mention its really hard to predict how much Wii Music and Wii Chess will sell.

i think your predicting wiis sales to low and i think more games will get announced for the wii series.

you also forgot to add wii motorsport which should do around 1-2 million,and wii sports 2 will most likely be released

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
supermario128 said:
When its all said and done the Wii series will be 2nd only to Mario, I don't think it can beat Mario unless even more games are announced for the Wii series.

more games will most likely get announced and i think the next nintendo console will be named wii 2 and the series will continue there and then it should pass mario in total sales

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Wii series will definetly beat the sims
possibly pokemon if Nintendo don't annouced a new pair till 2011

pichu_pichu said:
Wii series will definetly beat the sims
possibly pokemon if Nintendo don't annouced a new pair till 2011

No it'll likely beat Pokemon even then, right now Pokemon is around 160 million, even if 40 million+ is added by further games, combining the various Wii franchise games by the end of the Wii lifetime will surpass that

If you count pack-ins, Mario sales are over 300 million.* Since you're obviously counting the Wii Sports pack-in in this thread, that's what you have to measure against for #1.

* http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=mario&console=&publisher=&sort=Total

300 million is out of the question until we know if games like Wii Music will be as big as Wii Fit, and how many such games there will be. And it would still be practically impossible within one generation.

100 million, on the other hand, looks like a good bet. Wii Sports will get at least half-way there itself, and Wii Play another 20 million at minimum. Wii Fit should contribute 8 digits as well.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Here's another unannounced potential Wii mega-blockbuster.

Wii World.

Imagine a virtual online world where you can take Mii's. IMO, this would be far more palatable than the more realistic commercial Home. People like the cartoonish nature of Mii's. Imagine being to play games and keep virtual pets with your Mii's. This would take the Wii franchise to the next level.