By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will the Wii franchise sell?

A problem here, is that everybody assumes the Wii will sell 150 M. At the rate of 2007, it will have to go on for 11 years...

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:
A problem here, is that everybody assumes the Wii will sell 150 M. At the rate of 2007, it will have to go on for 11 years...

You don't think that rate will increase?  It selling at a rate of twice the PS2, you don't think Nintendo will be upping production?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

But to be realistic, it has to double its rate to make 150M, and keep that going...

Wii won't sell 150M but will probably near 100 million, maybe even pass it.

i dont think it will reach that muchm the wii is a fad , it will wear off, there is only so many types of games they can do, give it 4 more years and it will be gone at about 60 million, a few of my mates have sold theres in the last few months cause there bored of them

Around the Network
simonutd said:
i dont think it will reach that muchm the wii is a fad , it will wear off, there is only so many types of games they can do, give it 4 more years and it will be gone at about 60 million, a few of my mates have sold theres in the last few months cause there bored of them
  Yeah, they probably can't make more than 10X the amount of games the PS2 had.  Too bad the PS3 and 360 have even fewer types of games.

Can't blame them for selling a wii when you can sell it for more than it costs, and they can just buy another when there are more games out.

simonutd said:

Remember when everyone said the Wii was a fad a year ago? Good times.

I'd have thought the wii could well go on for a decade.

Nintendo could well bring out a wii 2 in 2012, but keep the wii as a budget console for the casual market, and a way of hooking consumers onto nintendo.

The wii has captured such a wide market, that comparrisons to past consoles may be of only limited use.

Who knows though. It could be dead in three years.

The Wii is the fastest gaming machine ever to break 20M, and people think it is going to double it`? That just sounds like too much for me...

Oyvoyvoyv said:
The Wii is the fastest gaming machine ever to break 20M, and people think it is going to double it`? That just sounds like too much for me...

Wii is still sold out, and yet you doubt that it can't continue to sell and get over 150?

But to be realistic, it has to double its rate to make 150M, and keep that going...

No it doesn't at a rate of 33 million a year (approximately double last year) it would reach 150 million in 4 years, not 10, I think you need to go back and do your math homework.

Yeah you need to do your math, even if it sells at its current rate and doesn't climb, unlikely, it will have passed 80 million in four more years.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)