Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2012 NPD 360 HW 236k, PS3 175k, Wii 91k

kowenicki said:
cookingyourmama said:
slowmo said:
pezus said:
slowmo said:
cookingyourmama said:
kowenicki said:
360 relatively good (market share), but in absolute terms not very good.

PS3 and Wii poor.

All overtracked, PS3 and especially Wii quite heavily in % terms.

Adjustments will be incoming for PS3 and possibly Wii too following this and the Sony shipment numbers.

Next gen required...

Errr the 360 is overtracked more than the ps3 this month in terms of raw numbers.

He said they were all overtracked and that the Wii particularly so, no mention of the 360 being overtracked more or less than the PS3.

He only mentioned adjustments for PS3 and Wii because it is on regards to the recent Sony shipping numbers.  I think you've jumped the gun in your eagerness to bash him and should read his post again. 

The 360 probably will need adjusting too but the issue is masked in the overall numbers by the poor tracking of sales in the EU for the 360.  I think the issue with the 360 is we overtrack it in the US and undertrack in the EU consistantly, but thats just my opinion. 

Comparing VGC Europe sales with the numbers from Nintendo the tracking wasn't poor at all. What was it, 100k under for the whole quarter?

Which is why I stated it was just my opinion.  Data generally seems to point the overall sales figures we have for 360 are about correct, the issue seems to be where those sales occur.  At the end of the day I said it was my opinion as it's marginal but I stand by the fact that I suspect we are undertracking in the EU and overtracking in the US.  Adjustments in the future are the only way to prove me right though.  Perhaps poor was the wrong word to use I conceed though, I should have just said "due to undertrakcing of EU sales for the 360 imo".

Don't be childish Cookingyourmama, someone liking a brand or game enough to use the art as a avatar doesn't instantly make their opinion stereotypically a certain type.  On the point you seem to be making that VG Chartz overtracks the 360 every month, could you post the last 5 months VG CHartz and NPD numbers for PS3 and 360 to prove your case please, I'm not so sure you have a point at all but I'll happily conceed if you're right.

Right first off i would like to say that in no way do i think the numbers on this site are deliberately biased in anyway, it's just that this site has to work with limited data and possibly the formulas they use need working on as well but when it comes to american NPD data and Vgchartz data, nearly every single month the 360 comes off much better vs the ps3 compared to the reaility of NPD's actual numbers. So here as you've asked for it are the last 5 months worth of data before Vgchartz made adjustments:

December 2011

360) VGC - 2,830,000 / NPD - 1,700,000 = 1,130,000 overtracked
ps3) VGC -1,252,000 / NPD - 936,000 = 316,000 overtracked

January 2012

360) VGC - 403,000 / NPD - 270,000 = 133,000 overtracked
ps3) VGC - 258,000 / NPD - 190,000 = 68,000 overtracked

February 2012

360) VGC - 337,000 / NPD - 426,000 = 89,000 undertracked
ps3) VGC - 238,000 / NPD - 360,000 = 122,000 undertracked

March 2012

360) VGC - 310,000 / NPD - 371,000 = 61,000 undertracked
ps3) VGC - 229,000 / NPD - 337,000 = 108,000 undertracked

April 2012

360) VGC - 288,000 / NPD - 236,000 = 52,000 overtracked
ps3) VGC - 221,000 / NPD - 167,000to199,000 = 22,000/54,000 overtracked

When you add all of those numbers up in the past 5 months in america the 360 has been over track by 1,165,000 million where as the ps3 has only been overtracked by 176,000-208,000.

right now go back and do the same for the lifetime of said consoles...

have fun.

Bwahahahahaha bitter much? Why should i have to do that for the life time of both consoles which is an impossible task anyway as Vgchartz is constantly changing their numbers and the only record of original numbers is from forum posts which don't stretch back that far. I've already proved that for months on end the 360 has been significantly overtracked compared to the ps3, what's your problem?

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:
"A snippet of extra data for you - NPD told Eurogamer that Kid Icarus: Uprising sold 83,000 copies during April."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-10-prototype-2-pips-kinect-star-wars-to-top-of-april-us-chart

Puts the KI > Vita HW into more perspective.

That's decent for Kid Icarus but Vita needs a high potion.

kowenicki said:
cookingyourmama said:
kowenicki said:

have fun.

Bwahahahahaha bitter much? Why should i have to do that for the life time of both consoles which is an impossible task anyway as Vgchartz is constantly changing their numbers and the only record of original numbers is from forum posts which don't stretch back that far. I've already proved that for months on end the 360 has been significantly overtracked compared to the ps3, what's your problem?

its you that seems to have the problem...  what exactly are you trying to infer?

the numbers here are constantly adjusted and tweaked to take account of shipments, NPD etc

They are as accurate as they can be.  Are you suggesting PS3 needs adjusting up!?

btw... I can assure you that what you see above is in no way typical of how it is, it has been very different historically.

Do we have access to NPD LTD so we can compare? I'm sure we would have some curious numbers, with some undertrackez consoles not so undertrackez, and some overtrackedz consoles not so overtrackedz.

One word for the 3DS -- Pokemon. That will cause adoption to go up.

That happened about two years into the DS, which is why despite all of these descriptions of poor sales that NPD said the 3DS is 1M ahead of the pace of the DS at its same point in the lifestpan.

As for the next generation -- maybe Nintendo was smart in announcing in a way that short circuited not only its own declining sales but the sales of the opposition as well. And to those who think these sales mean domination by Microsoft and Sony, only time will tell but getting out first could be a good start for Nintendo or could only provide a cushion that gets caught (like Microsoft did this time).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

In the weekend (On Sunday) I will turn the internet upside down and try to find all available NPD reports for this gen I can find, so you guys don't have to, and will compile them here.

Around the Network

So Cookingyourmama if we take just January onwards the difference is around 100k betrween the 2 agreed? That doesn't suggest too many issues of tracking being too far out when comparing the two. I would say that it actually suggest they could be both accurate when taking the 10% rule into effect. Thanks for the data though.

Just to clarify btw I shouldn't have asked you to include December that was my bad as holiday months tracking are often miles out due to the difficulties in tracking. Also I doubt the figures are that far out now after adjustments.

I'll leave the rest of you to discuss as I don't think I have much more input I want to give.

kowenicki said:
cookingyourmama said:
kowenicki said:
cookingyourmama said:
slowmo said:
pezus said:
slowmo said:
cookingyourmama said:
kowenicki said:
360 relatively good (market share), but in absolute terms not very good.

PS3 and Wii poor.

All overtracked, PS3 and especially Wii quite heavily in % terms.

Adjustments will be incoming for PS3 and possibly Wii too following this and the Sony shipment numbers.

Next gen required...

Errr the 360 is overtracked more than the ps3 this month in terms of raw numbers.

He said they were all overtracked and that the Wii particularly so, no mention of the 360 being overtracked more or less than the PS3.

He only mentioned adjustments for PS3 and Wii because it is on regards to the recent Sony shipping numbers.  I think you've jumped the gun in your eagerness to bash him and should read his post again. 

The 360 probably will need adjusting too but the issue is masked in the overall numbers by the poor tracking of sales in the EU for the 360.  I think the issue with the 360 is we overtrack it in the US and undertrack in the EU consistantly, but thats just my opinion. 

Comparing VGC Europe sales with the numbers from Nintendo the tracking wasn't poor at all. What was it, 100k under for the whole quarter?

Which is why I stated it was just my opinion.  Data generally seems to point the overall sales figures we have for 360 are about correct, the issue seems to be where those sales occur.  At the end of the day I said it was my opinion as it's marginal but I stand by the fact that I suspect we are undertracking in the EU and overtracking in the US.  Adjustments in the future are the only way to prove me right though.  Perhaps poor was the wrong word to use I conceed though, I should have just said "due to undertrakcing of EU sales for the 360 imo".

Don't be childish Cookingyourmama, someone liking a brand or game enough to use the art as a avatar doesn't instantly make their opinion stereotypically a certain type.  On the point you seem to be making that VG Chartz overtracks the 360 every month, could you post the last 5 months VG CHartz and NPD numbers for PS3 and 360 to prove your case please, I'm not so sure you have a point at all but I'll happily conceed if you're right.

Right first off i would like to say that in no way do i think the numbers on this site are deliberately biased in anyway, it's just that this site has to work with limited data and possibly the formulas they use need working on as well but when it comes to american NPD data and Vgchartz data, nearly every single month the 360 comes off much better vs the ps3 compared to the reaility of NPD's actual numbers. So here as you've asked for it are the last 5 months worth of data before Vgchartz made adjustments:

December 2011

360) VGC - 2,830,000 / NPD - 1,700,000 = 1,130,000 overtracked
ps3) VGC -1,252,000 / NPD - 936,000 = 316,000 overtracked

January 2012

360) VGC - 403,000 / NPD - 270,000 = 133,000 overtracked
ps3) VGC - 258,000 / NPD - 190,000 = 68,000 overtracked

February 2012

360) VGC - 337,000 / NPD - 426,000 = 89,000 undertracked
ps3) VGC - 238,000 / NPD - 360,000 = 122,000 undertracked

March 2012

360) VGC - 310,000 / NPD - 371,000 = 61,000 undertracked
ps3) VGC - 229,000 / NPD - 337,000 = 108,000 undertracked

April 2012

360) VGC - 288,000 / NPD - 236,000 = 52,000 overtracked
ps3) VGC - 221,000 / NPD - 167,000to199,000 = 22,000/54,000 overtracked

When you add all of those numbers up in the past 5 months in america the 360 has been over track by 1,165,000 million where as the ps3 has only been overtracked by 176,000-208,000.

have fun.

its you that seems to have the problem...  what exactly are you trying to infer?

the numbers here are constantly adjusted and tweaked to take account of shipments, NPD etc

They are as accurate as they can be.  Are you suggesting PS3 needs adjusting up!?

btw... I can assure you that what you see above is in no way typical of how it is, it has been very different historically.

I'm pointing out the simple fact that time and time again on this site the ps3 gets undertracked compared to the 360 when in reality it has done much better, yet despite this a group of posters constantly make pro 360 posts trying to claim that some how the 360 is the one that is hard done by and there are way more people posting biased Sony stuff as well. I've been viewing this site since day one and the majority of the time the 360 gets overtracked compared to the ps3 and every few months adjustments have to be made to correct this. This past quarter is one of the few times the 360 was undertracked and the ps3 was overtracked.

slowmo said:
So Cookingyourmama if we take just January onwards the difference is around 100k betrween the 2 agreed? That doesn't suggest too many issues of tracking being too far out when comparing the two. I would say that it actually suggest they could be both accurate when taking the 10% rule into effect. Thanks for the data though.

Just to clarify btw I shouldn't have asked you to include December that was my bad as holiday months tracking are often miles out due to the difficulties in tracking. Also I doubt the figures are that far out now after adjustments.

I'll leave the rest of you to discuss as I don't think I have much more input I want to give.

If you take out December the difference is more like 150k~, but yeah it's not massive. The thing is tho all these few hundred here, and a few hundred thousand there all soon add up. I just had a quick look at the four months before December 2011 and during that period the 360 was overtracked by 7,000 whilst the ps3 was undertracked by 167,000, combine that with the four months after December and you're already talking about an imbalance of over 300,000 in the 360's favour.

cookingyourmama said:
slowmo said:

If you take out December the difference is more like 150k~, but yeah it's not massive. The thing is tho all these few hundred here, and a few hundred thousand there all soon add up. I just had a quick look at the four months before December 2011 and during that period the 360 was overtracked by 7,000 whilst the ps3 was undertracked by 167,000, combine that with the four months after December and you're already talking about an imbalance of over 300,000 in the 360's favour.

That is of course assuming NPD are accurate, which again is another issue altogether people start going on about to suit their arguments.  I guess my point is that we're comparing estimates against estimates both of which get adjusted over time (in NPD's case they've been known to adjust up/down in the months after a mistake trying to fudge figures to look like they don't adjust as much).  It just seems crazy to get too serious about the figures other than use them as a general guide.

bertlsenix said:
Turkish said:
NiKKoM said:

from neogaf:

Overall industry down 32%. Software sales at retail are down 42%.

Originally Posted by Eruogamer:
"Last April, the top seven titles outsold the top-selling title this year, and, simply stated, there were notably fewer new market introductions," said Frazier.

Software:

1.) Prototype 2 (360, PS3) Activision Blizzard - Less than 236K, perhaps significantly.
2.) Kinect Star Wars (360) Lucasarts
3.) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC) Activision Blizzard
4.) Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
5.) NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PC, PS2) Take-Two Interactive
6.) The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings (360, PC) Warner Bros. Interactive
7.) Mario Party 9 (Wii) Nintendo
8.) Mass Effect 3 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
9.) Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3) Ubisoft
10.) MLB 12: The show (PS3, PSV) Sony

eeeuww...

No BF3? BF3 is always outselling MW3 in the UK

Thats the problem with the USA and why you shouldn't take those numbers seriously.
In Europe Fifa and Battlefield are destroying Call of Duty...And even CoD is selling better on the PS3 in Europe.
Its just insane how much the USA is pushing the 360,Call of Duty and Halo....and Kinect.
Its hardcore how much they dont care for quality and rather play the stuff that is cool at school.

could it be thats just what the people want? is there something wrong with that? I felt the last battle field was a bit of a let down, after the last two bad companies, 

disclosure im not a fan of CoD (ive only owned CoD:WaW this gen) 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog