By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2012 NPD 360 HW 236k, PS3 175k, Wii 91k

RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:

Why should I believe you when two companies are struggling because of strategies that would have also led to failure before the rise of smartphones?

Five years ago the PSP sank into oblivion and it wasn't because of smartphones. The PSP failed because it didn't do the job that consumers expected it to do. It's adapt or die. Sony chose to not adapt, so the PSP never made a comeback in the West. But at least it was good for homebrew applications and emulators, so the hardware kept selling.

Likewise, this generation Nintendo and Sony have to make a choice. Will they insist on following the PSP strategy or will they change their ways?

So what did you want Sony to do? Kill off the PSP as soon as the iPhone/iPod went mainstream? Launch the Vita 3 years ago at $599 with 1 hour battery life?

I want Sony to fail, so personally I was perfectly fine with Sony choosing to not adapt.

The PSPs purpose was to have the modern home console experience on a handheld, i.e. the PSP was sorta like a portable PS2. The market sent clear signals that that is not what people want from a handheld (aside from a minority, but Sony's business model is one that relies on capturing a majority). In order to make the PSP successful in the West, Sony would have had to distance themselves from the image of "the home console experience on a handheld". In order to make the PSV successful, Sony should have not presented it as the PS3 experience on a portable gaming machine.

I agree.  I was surprised to see Sony repeating the same mistakes with the Vita in the West that they made with the original PSP.  They should really take a closer look at what Nintendo does with handhelds versus consoles rather than trying to squeeze a PS3 into a handheld.

Around the Network

Games industry dead as expected, but it looks like it's going the way of the comic book industry and not in any way that is likely to lead to a gaming renaissance any time soon :(

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

MANUELF said:
VGKing said:
MANUELF said:
The market is collapsing fast here

No, it's not.

We got 6-7 year old consoles on the market. We also have Sony and Nintendo launching new dedicated handhelds which are getting bashed by the media as inferior to the almighty iPhone.

Once we get all next-gen consoles on the market and sales are this low(Ps4, 720, Wii U, 3DS, Vita) then you can say the market is collapsing.

So according to you we need new consoles and Apple is damaging the market?

Yes, we do need new consoles. Sales of PS3 and 360 will keep declining each year. Especially now that the Wii U is going to enter the market.

I didn't say anything about Apple. I don't believe Apple is damaging the console sales in any way.

VGKing said:
MANUELF said:
VGKing said:
MANUELF said:
The market is collapsing fast here

No, it's not.

We got 6-7 year old consoles on the market. We also have Sony and Nintendo launching new dedicated handhelds which are getting bashed by the media as inferior to the almighty iPhone.

Once we get all next-gen consoles on the market and sales are this low(Ps4, 720, Wii U, 3DS, Vita) then you can say the market is collapsing.

So according to you we need new consoles and Apple is damaging the market?

Yes, we do need new consoles. Sales of PS3 and 360 will keep declining each year. Especially now that the Wii U is going to enter the market.

I didn't say anything about Apple. I don't believe Apple is damaging the console sales in any way.

I dont think new hardware is a must just yet, but better games, though it looks like we are in a non game feature added cycle right now. I think launching this year for nintendo is a mistake, and a launch next year would be better but they have already killed wii sales. for the ps3/360 squeezing 1 to 2 more years of life out of them would be best, make sure you can launch with a selection of major games next time 

im looking to replace my launch box or rather have been for the last 3 years, its just the matter has become more pressing now that im running low on hd space the upgrade to 120 from 20 bought me time, but its imposible to find 250 hds for the old console, and it would be nice to have hdmi, not a must, but would be nice, if they droped the price of the 4 gig system i would pic one up and a 320 hd, and download the stuff ive deleted and move all my other stuff across ... but i would need a good price cut for that to happen at leat 50 bucks.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37851154&postcount=1339
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37851227&postcount=1341

Around the Network

kowenicki said:

so April:

NPD:

360 236k
PS3 175k
Wii 91k

VGC pre slight adjustments:

360 290k 22% over (54k)
PS3 223k 27% over (48k)
Wii 130k 43% over (39k)

So yet another month where the 360 has been overtracked more than the ps3, thanks for pointing that out. :)

That makes it nine months in a row now this has happened in america.

kowenicki said:

so April:

NPD:

360 236k
PS3 175k
Wii 91k

VGC pre slight adjustments:

360 290k 22% over (54k)
PS3 223k 27% over (48k)
Wii 130k 43% over (39k)

Thanks for the numbers. Will interesting to see if Microsoft is happy with current sales and will want to cling onto their profit margins or will envoke a price-cut to absolutely dominate USA for the rest of the year.

um....360 sells a lot in America, obviously it will be overtracked there a lot more.

PS3 for eg would be overtracked a lot more than 360 in Europe.

Neogaf:

"jvm's

The other ASPs, which aren't as interesting perhaps:
NDS+3DS = $155
PSV = $266
Wii = $149
PSP = $130

I didn't ask for PS2, but it's been around $98-$100 for a while, and sales are so low that it contributes a tiny amount to the hardware figure.

I did what I could about Xenoblade, asking NPD directly for any help they could give. I got nothing. So even though the next column is about software, don't expect miracles. "

PS Vita need price cut.