By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The reason I believe Sony's exclusives can't sell as well as they should this gen.

Heavenly_King said:
The reason is lack of advertisement.

mystery solved lol XD

Hello, I would like to congratulate you for stating the most obvious reason ^-^

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
pezus said:

And then CoD4 came out of nowhere, so I don't know how we can discuss which franchises have the potential to be huge. GoW could just be the one, if they play their cards right in the future. I would have never guessed, when I played CoD2 daily, that the franchise would soon become the biggest in gaming (or any entertainment medium for that matter).

Nah, now you're just being illogical.

You can tell when a franchise has the potential to sell, and the ways the franchise got there.

CoD has something that appeals to the masses. It has the theme of Real Life war contexts (like Medal of Honor), it has a highly competitive Multiplayer mode (not much unlike Uncharted), it had great marketing support, and there are a few other key factors in its success, for some reason Activision knows how to get there, we just aren't sure if they know how to stay there.

What can God of War offer that CoD can offer? It's set in Mythical times and places, is a story of enraged vengeance, nd lacks any connection to real problems real people have imho. Just as an example of lacking mass appeal. We know who the crowd for that game is. 0 humor, 0 charm, all pulp, imho.

I get where you are coming from, but the large majority of COD players wouldn't even know how to lift a real rifle. The majority are kids and adults that like to play the fantasy of being a badass soldier. It is STILL a fantasy, but one more grounded in reality. Not only that, but North America uses its military like a propaganda machine. Their commercials make it look "COOL" to be part of the military/navy/airforce/etc. You find military men at public fairs/bazaars/etc showing their tech/tactics to public audiences, many of which are children. I mean, it is pounded into these poor kids' heads that being part of this monstrous machine is honorable and cool. Let's be honest, COD wouldn't be what it is if it isn't for the mindless love of the military, going abroad and killing brown people. It is actually quite disgusting how fascinated they are by that whole prospect.

pezus said:
Lafiel said:
Bristow9091 said:

No I'm not forgetting that, I mean, they're great at making films, but not so sure about any shows, I can't actually think of any they make... care to help me out?

aren't they involved in "Breaking Bad", one of the highest rated TV shows ever?

I'm pretty sure I saw the Sony Pictures logo when I started up the DVDs.

It's possible that they help with the DVD/Blu-Ray production. I don't think they come anywhere near show otherwise.

Breaking Bad is produced and owned by Sony Pictures. That is the reason why AMC couldn't cut budget like they did with The Walking Dead.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Uncharted: Great franchise with high production values. Got great sales.

Killzone/Resistance: Average FPS games. Got average sales.

Heavy Rain: Unique franchise got better than expected sales.

inFamous: Mediocre game. Got mediocre sales.

LBP1: Unique and fun. Good sales.

LBP2: More of the same. Weaker sales.

I know Sony releases a lot of games that are only on Playstation. Sony fans hype them up but, from my experience, most of the time, these games just are not worthy of that hype. You want to know why Sony's first party games don't sell as well as you'd like? It's because third party games are often better. Would you want to buy inFamous 2 or Batman Arkham City? Killzone or Call of Duty? It's good that Sony tries to fill out its library but if they aren't the best of the best, what's the point? The games sell right about where I think they should.

MessiaH said:

I get where you are coming from, but the large majority of COD players wouldn't even know how to lift a real rifle. The majority are kids and adults that like to play the fantasy of being a badass soldier. It is STILL a fantasy, but one more grounded in reality. Not only that, but North America uses its military like a propaganda machine. Their commercials make it look "COOL" to be part of the military/navy/airforce/etc. You find military men at public fairs/bazaars/etc showing their tech/tactics to public audiences, many of which are children. I mean, it is pounded into these poor kids' heads that being part of this monstrous machine is honorable and cool. Let's be honest, COD wouldn't be what it is if it isn't for the mindless love of the military, going abroad and killing brown people. It is actually quite disgusting how fascinated they are by that whole prospect.

I can't really disagree with this. It's a form of fantasy for adults, but one that taps into the world of reality.

It's also been pre-marketed by political propaganda, so part of the work is already done. Apart from that, it just fits better into american culture than GoW would, in general.

Around the Network
Chark said:
You do know there is an Uncharted Movie in the works, right? Since 2009. Columbia Pictures. Currently it seems Mark Wahlberg starring as Drake. They had to replace a writer and started over so that's why its taking so long.

They also made an Uncharted Motion Comic, the Eye of Indra.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

d21lewis said:
Uncharted: Great franchise with high production values. Got great sales.

Killzone/Resistance: Average FPS games. Got average sales.

Heavy Rain: Unique franchise got better than expected sales.

inFamous: Mediocre game. Got mediocre sales.

LBP1: Unique and fun. Good sales.

LBP2: More of the same. Weaker sales.

I know Sony releases a lot of games that are only on Playstation. Sony fans hype them up but, from my experience, most of the time, these games just are not worthy of that hype. You want to know why Sony's first party games don't sell as well as you'd like? It's because third party games are often better. Would you want to buy inFamous 2 or Batman Arkham City? Killzone or Call of Duty? It's good that Sony tries to fill out its library but if they aren't the best of the best, what's the point? The games sell right about where I think they should.

InFamous is the second best superhero franchise on the market. The only Super Hero franchise that is better is batman, but InFamous has better cinematics and set pieces.

LBP 2 was not more of the same. Have you played the two games?  Killzone is an above average shooter in an age where shooters thrive on another console. Killzone 2 averaged a 91 and 3 a 84 which is far from bad when you average out the scores.  Little Big Planet 2 averaged 91 Metacritic score, and Little big planet  scored a 95. PS3 exclusives on average out score the multiplatform competition and generally have more exclusives than 360 in a given year on a first party front.

If anything, majority of these exclusives just lack the extra zing compare to alternative choices?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mazty said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mazty said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Question. Where are you from? Because in America Saturday morning cartoons lead to record breaking sales of Toys and videogames alike. 

You got figures to back that up? More specifically, you got figures to back up the idea that game cartoons helped increase game sales? The only game which certainly had a postitive effect from the cartoon was pokemon, but the cartoon came before the game, not the other way around.

Where are you from? Again.

Why does it matter?  It doesn't; it's an ad hominem and therefore a fallacy. Get back on topic. 

I'm not judging you nor trying to throw off your point, therefore it's not ad hominem. I am inquiring as to cultural televised programing. I don't know whether you're in another country and got the shows or not and how it affected your region. In America Saturday Morning Cartoons boosted toy and videogame sales. Saturday morning cartoons thrived for two decades and was over by 2000 which makes about twelve years now.

Do you have any proof for your claim though? I don't doubt it helped sales, but by how much? A significant amount? I doubt it; I think it probably helped with player retention as well as networks paying for the cartoons. Also you are forgetting massive problems with current game titles: the age restrictions. Why have a God of War cartoon when you have to be over 18 to buy it?

what they need is a cartoon series with Ratchet and Clank

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!