By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale will outsell Smash Bros

happydolphin said:

Well, there are two things here:

First thing I want to point out is, you played Final Fantasy X. Despite the few similarities it has with FFIV for example, it is a whole different beast. The only reason why I would pick it up after playing all the FFs before it is because I can trust the quality, not because it may have the same themes. The same goes with my favorite directors/actors/producers. I don't expect to get the same experience from them, only the same quality. So yes, the quality is very close to the same between FFIV and FFX, but other than that the game plays at a very different pace (battle-wise), imho, and the magic acquiring is very different. The use of aeons changes things alot, because HP is affected (I haven't finished it and it's been a while). The tone is very different and so is the mood. It's almost two completely different experiences by far the differences outweigh the similarities there.

Second point is, even if it didn't match your tastes, you should be aware of the main protagonist of the biggest game in the most known RPG genre in video gaming. I understand you're from germany and things are a little different there, but this is an international forum, and on the internet, on international forums, the most known RPG series is Final Fantasy.

So even if it doesn't cater to you tastes, you should know who Cloud Strife is, just like I should know who Nathan Drake is, despite only playing UC for the first time last week, and I should know who Marcus Fenix is, even though I will never, ever play GeoW in my life.

With all that, go play FFIV. If you like it, play FFVII and VIII.

And have fun.

If you don't, come tell us why. We'd like to know.

Hmm, it does not have too much to do with germany. I know, we are on a forum that heavily tends to favor consoles - as this is a site that tracks console-sales. Consoles are the dominating gaming-device in Japan ( I think at least), they are as big as a gaming as the PC in the US and growing stronger but they are less strong as the PC in Europe. Other regions have even lesser use of consoles, but they are mostly not that important sales-wise (although they play too, free games and illegal copies mostly).

The importance of different genres per gaming-device is differing. Jump&Runs are biggest on consoles. They are barely existant on PC. But RPGs are more centered on PC. The golden age was at the end of the 80s/beginning of the 90s. Many of the games happened on the Apple-II or similar computers. The RPG-genre itself is on decline, the number of games is reducing. Yes, some sell better than any game before (as computer-gaming as a whole grows ), but the number of games is reducing. And games like Ultima stays legendary, as it also influenced many of the later games (including Dragon Quest which was the inspiration for the creation of the first Final Fantasy).

But even sales-wise FF is not the biggest and most famous. You already showed the numbers for Pokemon, that is by far bigger on console. It is far more likely non-gamers know about Pokemon than about FF. It is hard to get proper numbers for PC-based game-sales, but WoW had 12 million subscribers in 2010 (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=2847881 ), so it must have at least sold this number. Skyrim had 10 million copies shipped by December 2011 and has "record-sales" on Steam (without proper numbers) (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-16-valve-skyrim-fastest-selling-game-in-steam-history ). So even in the sales department FF fails to claim the top-spot.

But to be the 'most famous' RPG there are other considerations. But I also see Pokemon and WoW beating it in this  area (not Skyrim, maybe the Elder-Scrolls-series, but I'm not sure here). And older games like Ultima, Wizardry and, Badur's Gate, Fallout or nethack have not lost all that much of their glory.

That all not includes pen&paper. But talking about computer-RPGs without talking about pen&paper would be like talking about computer-based poker-games without talking about the real game.

P.S.: Ah, and I will try out FF IV if I find it. Is it available for DS?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

P.S.: Ah, and I will try out FF IV if I find it. Is it available for DS?

Good points. Fair enough, there are a few more popular RPGs our there, so yeah it all makes more sense now.

FFIV is available on the DS, I own it. It's a remastered version of my favorite version personally, the SNES one. But the DS version is better in general because it has remastered 3D visuals (was 2D on the SNES), is much harder imho (enemies are more resistive in general I find), there is a whole new upgrade system, but I can't remember what they're called, and now playing through it a second time has an important reason for a completionist. There are things you can only get in your 2nd playthrough (never got there though).

So yeah, I got my DS copy 2nd hand for like 10 bucks, shouldn't be too hard to find. I hope you'll like it, the script is also very well re-written.

are there new fighters in the list?

Mark Ashton ... Narrator (voice)

Terrence 'T.C.' Carson ... Kratos (voice)

Max Casella ... Daxter (voice)

Jason Cottle ... Cole MacGrath (voice)

Mike Erwin ... Jak (voice)

Dred Foxx ... PaRappa (voice)

Dana Gould ... Gex (voice)

Jess Harnell ... Crash Bandicoot (voice)

David Kaye ... Clank (voice)

Josh Keaton ... Spyro (voice)

Lex Lang ... Dr. Neo Cortex (voice)

Richard McGonagle ... Victor Sullivan (voice)

Kevin Miller ... Sly Cooper (voice)

Chris Murphy ... Murray (voice)

Matt Olsen ... Bentley (voice)

Armin Shimerman ... Dr. Nefarious (voice)

James Arnold Taylor ... Ratchet (voice)

Jim Ward ... Captain Qwark (voice)

Freddie Winston ... Rayman (voice)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2385173/fullcredits

crissindahouse said:

are there new fighters in the list?

Mark Ashton ... Narrator (voice)

Terrence 'T.C.' Carson ... Kratos (voice)

Max Casella ... Daxter (voice)

Jason Cottle ... Cole MacGrath (voice)

Mike Erwin ... Jak (voice)

Dred Foxx ... PaRappa (voice)

Dana Gould ... Gex (voice)

Jess Harnell ... Crash Bandicoot (voice)

David Kaye ... Clank (voice)

Josh Keaton ... Spyro (voice)

Lex Lang ... Dr. Neo Cortex (voice)

Richard McGonagle ... Victor Sullivan (voice)

Kevin Miller ... Sly Cooper (voice)

Chris Murphy ... Murray (voice)

Matt Olsen ... Bentley (voice)

Armin Shimerman ... Dr. Nefarious (voice)

James Arnold Taylor ... Ratchet (voice)

Jim Ward ... Captain Qwark (voice)

Freddie Winston ... Rayman (voice)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2385173/fullcredits

IMDB is not a reliable source for information like that, it's often just rumored names. There's a good chance we'll see most of those names in the final game anyway though.

don't know, why shouldn't it be reliable? sure they aren't for gaming but they are for actors and if actors get a job to speak in videogames, why should it be wrong?

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
don't know, why shouldn't it be reliable? sure they aren't for gaming but they are for actors and if actors get a job to speak in videogames, why should it be wrong?

"IMDB is not a reliable source for information like that, it's often just rumored names."
Just because there is a RUMOR that Guy X got a job voicing Character Y doesn't mean that it's actually the case.  Whether it's a movie or a video game. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

http://i.imgur.com/1C6V7.jpg
FAIL SONY TODAY!!

"Nintendo fan for life"

I disagree,probably 2 million lifetime,but that's about it.

NintendoFanDj said:
http://i.imgur.com/1C6V7.jpg
FAIL SONY TODAY!!

Why?  It's not like there is ANYBODY who isn't going to notice how big of a ripoff it is.  When the first trailer came out I showed my girlfriend and she knew it was SSB ripoff before it even got to the gameplay just by the art style.

Better to embrace it and try and get as many Smash Brothers fans as possible on it.

They might not all own PS3s, but they might have friends that come to there house to play SSB.  If so, word might spread and they might get it in return.

I mean, I know we live in a hyper partisian videogame world where companies get nailed for granting an inch of credit to one of the other companies, but if you saw a competitor have a great idea that consumers found fun why WOULDN'T you copy it for your fans to enjoy?

kowenicki said:
Gilgamesh said:
Don't worry guys this thread will be revived sometime in 2013, can't let everyone forget that they thought this game would sell 1 million max...lol

why wait until 2013....

Impatient are we?