By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale will outsell Smash Bros

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=&genre=Role-Playing&minSales=0&results=200

It's pretty much the first entry after Pokemon in the most popular RPGs (if sales is any indicator), according to VGChartz data.

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Pokémon Red / Green / Blue Version GB 1996 Role-Playing Nintendo 11.27 8.89 10.22 1.00 31.37
2 Pokémon Gold / Silver Version GB 1999 Role-Playing Nintendo 9.00 6.18 7.20 0.71 23.10
3 Pokémon Diamond / Pearl Version DS 2006 Role-Playing Nintendo 6.31 4.29 6.04 1.34 17.98
4 Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire Version GBA 2002 Role-Playing Nintendo 6.06 3.90 5.38 0.50 15.85
5 Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition GB 1998 Role-Playing Nintendo 5.89 5.04 3.12 0.59 14.64
6 Pokémon Black / White Version DS 2010 Role-Playing Nintendo 4.96 2.58 5.57 0.83 13.94
7 Pokémon Heart Gold / Soul Silver Version DS 2009 Role-Playing Nintendo 4.09 2.49 3.96 0.74 11.28
8 Pokémon FireRed / LeafGreen Version GBA 2004 Role-Playing Nintendo 4.34 2.65 3.15 0.35 10.49
9 Final Fantasy VII PS 1997 Role-Playing Sony Computer Entertainment 3.01 2.47 3.28 0.96 9.72
10 Final Fantasy X PS2 2001 Role-Playing Sony Computer Entertainment 2.91 2.07 2.73 0.33 8.05
11 Final Fantasy VIII PS 1999 Role-Playing Square 2.28 1.72 3.63 0.23 7.86
12 Pokémon Platinum Version DS 2008 Role-Playing Nintendo 2.67 1.58 2.69 0.52 7.46
13 Pokémon Emerald Version GBA 2004 Role-Playing Nintendo 2.57 1.58 2.06 0.21 6.41

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Sal.Paradise said:

I'm sorry to have to inform you of this, Mnementh, but you're wrong. Your anecdotal evidence doesn't count for anything.

And next time you make a post that 'isn't too serious', try not to insinuate that I'm too young/ignorant to know what I'm talking about.

Oh yeah. My claim, that I highly doubt that FF7 is the most famous RPG ever is backed by anecdotal evidence. But the outrageous claim that FF7 is the most famous RPG is backed by ... what?

And I didn't said you're too young, I was talking that the young people tend to ignore the bigger part of the population.

It's hard to overstate how big of a game FF7 was, in all aspects. As happy shows up there, it's the best selling non-pokemon RPG ever (and even those numbers are outdated; it's sold 10 million copies as of 2 years ago, and was the fastest selling title on the playstation network when it released.) 

It had the most expensive budget of any game at its time of around $45 million. It received a marketing push in North America that could be seen as the equivalent of the COD marketing push nowadays, it was just unheard of for its time, and it's credited as the title that sold the playstation, as well as the title that sold the north american market on RPGs. 

It was sort of a watershed moment in gaming; it was a big budget, cinematic release in terms of development and marketing that set a new standard on which popular games were judged. 

It spawned a CG movie release called Advent Children which sold over 4 million copies as of May 2009. I'm also pretty confident in saying that Cloud and Sephiroth are probably some of the most 'cosplayed' characters of all time. And if you go on youtube, you'll see that a 1 minute 40 second tech demo of FF7 on the PS3 has garnered 7 million views. Think about that, a tech demo that literally just shows one character Aerith walking, a zoom out on the city, and then one character, Cloud, jumping off a train, has 7 million views. It's probably the most requested title for a 'remake' in gaming today.

And I hear it's a pretty good game too

Sal.Paradise said:

It's hard to overstate how big of a game FF7 was, in all aspects. As happy shows up there, it's the best selling non-pokemon RPG ever (and even those numbers are outdated; it's sold 10 million copies as of 2 years ago, and was the fastest selling title on the playstation network when it released.)

It had the most expensive budget of any game at its time of around $45 million. It received a marketing push in North America that could be seen as the equivalent of the COD marketing push nowadays, it was just unheard of for its time, and it's credited as the title that sold the playstation, as well as the title that sold the north american market on RPGs.

It was sort of a watershed moment in gaming; it was a big budget, cinematic release in terms of development and marketing that set a new standard on which popular games were judged.

It spawned a CG movie release called Advent Children which sold over 4 million copies as of May 2009. I'm also pretty confident in saying that Cloud and Sephiroth are probably some of the most 'cosplayed' characters of all time. And if you go on youtube, you'll see that a 1 minute 40 second tech demo of FF7 on the PS3 has garnered 7 million views. Think about that, a tech demo that literally just shows one character Aerith walking, a zoom out on the city, and then one character, Cloud, jumping off a train, has 7 million views. It's probably the most requested title for a 'remake' in gaming today.

And I hear it's a pretty good game too

It's the best-selling non-pokemon-RPG, which is tracked by VGC. And yes, thanks you bring it to my mind: clearly Pokemon is a far more famous RPG than FF. Anyways, I only said it was too much of a claim, that FF7 was the most famous RPG of all time. I will not deny that it was a big RPG.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

It certainly needs to be bundled with the PS3 to increase the chance of it competing with the likes of the Super Smash Bros. series.

Kenology said:
We seem to go through this with every PS3 release. Be it Little Big Planet, Killzone 3, Mod Nation Racers, etc. These lofty expectations are set by Sony fans. Will be fun to see how this turns out. Bookmarking this page.

Don't be like that. You know there's way more people who think that won't do 1/4 of Gilgamesh. >_>

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Skyrim should be on track to outsell Final Fantasy VII if it hasn't done so already.

happydolphin said:
Wow, you're a tough cookie. Brawl sold 2.37M in Japan, Smash 64 sold 1.97M. I think with the help of FF VII IPs they can boost their Japan sales to 1.50M with proper branding and labelling. Now add to that the western appeal of these franchises, and the userbase of their respective games, and you have something that can not only attract the traditional Sony audience in the West, but a new casual audience worldwide, as well as a Square fanbase in Japan.

If it doesn't work, it at least helps bump the meter up by 1Mil imho.

unrealistic expectation for Japan market right now.

On Most Famous RPG -

It's obviously NOT FFVII. If we are talking about videogame, that would be Pokemon. Each new entry of Pokemon is bigger than FFVII and Picachu is bigger than Cloud and Sephiroth combined, in Japan and worldwide.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

saicho said:
happydolphin said:
Wow, you're a tough cookie. Brawl sold 2.37M in Japan, Smash 64 sold 1.97M. I think with the help of FF VII IPs they can boost their Japan sales to 1.50M with proper branding and labelling. Now add to that the western appeal of these franchises, and the userbase of their respective games, and you have something that can not only attract the traditional Sony audience in the West, but a new casual audience worldwide, as well as a Square fanbase in Japan.

If it doesn't work, it at least helps bump the meter up by 1Mil imho.

unrealistic expectation for Japan market right now.

It's already been mentioned, but thanks. Here is my response above: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4547097

It could actually happen, but I still believe that instead of cloning SSB, Sony should have copied the Vs series by Capcom. That could've given them more options and wiggle room; plus calling the game Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale is silly. It's subtlety calling SSB kiddy and PLAYSTATION ALL-STARS BATTLE ROYALE is a cooler name. It's a typical Sony immature move. We'll see what they say at E3

Mnementh said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Mnementh said:
Sal.Paradise said:
AndrewWK said:
Sal.Paradise said:

But I'd wager that Cloud/Sephiroth alone are +1m sales confirmed.

Oh, and some Resident Evil characters. Wesker maybe.

Who???

And there won´t be any Capcom Characters

They are the protagonist and antagonist of the most famous RPG of all time.

Ah, I see, D&D. Let's think, where was ever a Cloud/Sepiroth ....

Oh, you meant most famous videogame-RPG. So nethack FTW! Hmm, Cloud/Sepiroth... no you mean something else.

Oh, you meant probably most famous graphical videogame-RPG. Baldur's Gate! But, no Cloud/Sepiroth either.

So, you probably don't know too much RPGs and/or too young.

Oh get off it.

We're obviously talking about videogames on this videogames forum on a videogame topic,  and I'm certain more people know about FF7 and Cloud/Sephiroth than Baldur's Gate or any other RPG. 

Young people tend to think, that something they don't know isn't famous. But they forget, that young people only a minor part of the whole demographics.

I'm an active RPG-player, and I don't know Cloud/Sepiroth. I thought, that they must come from some FF-game, but I don't know it. Yes, my post wasn't too serious, but my point is that I REALLY doubt, that an FF-game is most-well-known RPG.

SMFH @ the bolded

and there goes your RPG cred