By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Now that God of War has fallen into the MultiPlayer darkside, What other good singleplayer games are left?

Tagged games:

Where can I find the multiplayer footage, or is it just co-op online mode?

I have lived as a warrior. I have died as a god. Having suffered the ultimate sacrifice, I have been denied release. I...I will defeat Olympus. I will have my revenge

--Kratos

Around the Network
Ajescent said:
In Uc 1&2, you unlocked artwork, making of Videos Concept arts, costumes, "cheats" but in Uc3, there was none of that. No, 3D doesn't count primarily because I, like most people don't own a 3D tv so it didn't do me anything, apart from that, I can't think of anything else exclusive to the single player that wasn't there in the previous versions, save for more bugs.

You think Uncharted 3 lacked those things, which aren't really important anyway, because of multiplayer. They already put multiplayer in Uncharted 2, so I don't know why you're blaming multiplayer for the removal of those things.

This should be obvious but I'll say it anyway. Adding multiplayer does not mean that the single-player will be affected. There are special cases for certain developers and certain games. We won't know the affect of GoW3's multiplayer until we play the game.

And yes, there are good single player games out there. Some have multiplayer. Some don't. If you're swayed away from good sp games that also have mp, then you're missing out.

God of War Ascension is not a good example of multiplayer "ruining" a franchise unless there are two distinct games/campaigns which from a development standpoint means a division and typically a dilution of resources. One that can only be played by one player and the second that can only be played with more than one.

That's the basic model for the FPS genre, and to a larger extent, shooters such as Uncharted or Gears of War. In the instance of CoD, it was pretty clear that the single player campaigns were reduced to allow more resources to go into multiplayer, which in all fairness, is where the money for those games lies. Why? Longevity. Single player campaigns can be finished in a weekend. That's not worth $60. Most developers want players playing their games for as long as possible; few can rely upon the tried and true RPG design techniques that can stretch a game to great lengths.

RE5 was not an example of the single player mode being drawn down as it was a partner optional campaign plus an online multiplayer only mode. Sort of the best of both worlds, with the multiplayer mode being a bit more of an afterthought.

In the case of Uncharted, if anything, it just feels like more was added rather than diluted when looking at the jump from Uncharted to Uncharted 2. Better single player campaign with an all new multiplayer game. About the same between U2 and U3. Nothing taken away by any means.

I don't think Ascension will have any problems with resource dilution as it looks like it's taking the same multiplayer format that has existed since the old days of multiplayer arcade games. You can play through by yourself, and other players can drop in or out at any given time presumably with the difficulty curve adjusting depending upon the number of players present. How anyone could interpret that as "ruining" the franchise is a bit curious to me.

Around the Network
pezus said:
KeptoKnight said:
pezus said:
KeptoKnight said:
flagstaad said:
Ajescent said:

Should I be worried or is this not a sign of things to come?

I am sorry to tell you, the answer is YES, this is a sign of thing to come, let me tell you rthe reasons.

First, adding multiplayer means they can also add ONLINE PASS, thus fighting the sales of used games

Second, if the game has a multiplayer component the people will take longer to sell the game back to a store like Gamespot

Third, With multiplayer is very easy and cheap to create DLC that brings more revenue for the company

Fourth, With multiplayer your friends will add peer preassure so you buy your own copy instead of waiting for somebody else to finish the game and lend it to you

There may be more reasons, but as you can see from a bussiness perspective makes a lot of sense.

^

That's not really a good reason. Online pass is only necessary if you want to play the multiplayer. So, if you want to just enjoy the good ol' GoW single-player, you can buy it used if you wish.

hmm..so in the future online pass wont effect single player either? I find that suspect. But ok.

He asked if he should be worried. Online pass is not a reason to worry for someone who prefers playing the single-player

I would have said the same thing, except in Batman Arkham City there was an online pass that you had to enter to download the Cat Woman part of the single player game. It may have been called something else but it had pretty much the same purpose.

pezus said:
KeptoKnight said:
pezus said:
KeptoKnight said:
pezus said:
Nem said:

To be honest multiplayer modes on single player modes tend to be lackluster and take out from the sigle player quality.

Indeed im of the opinion that single player and online multiplayer should be separated. The content and quality of a game built from the ground up to deliver an engaging online envyronment cant be compared to the barebones, boring offer of single player games multiplayer mode. Without any doubt these modes are just an effort to get more microtransaction money from suckers.

Also, when i want a single player game why the hell am i paying for a crapy multiplayer one? Might aswell separate them and offer quality experiences on both.

I highly disagree with this. Games can definitely have a great single-player as well as multi-player. Naughty Dog did it, why don't you think SSM can do it? They are basically running the whole Sony games show.

Sowwy, that is matters of opinions. Some of us prefer for a developer to put their total efforts into single player. A lot of these multiplayer feel generic. Its not needed. But from a business perspective its $$$.

Except sometimes a great dev can make a better single player with multiplayer than other devs can do with only single player. I fully trust in SSM to deliver here.

It might for your expectations. But not for many of us. Some of us have a J psychoogcial trait which place great emphasis having things orderly and sytematically fursnished eg. story, sound, gameplay, control etc... 

I wonder how the ending of Mass Effect 3 would be like if they removed multiplayer from the gecko?

Why would the ending be any different. Bioware didn't need multiplayer to fuck up, just look at Dragon Age II

They releasing DLC this summer to clarify.

pezus said:
WiiBox3 said:
pezus said:
KeptoKnight said:

hmm..so in the future online pass wont effect single player either? I find that suspect. But ok.

He asked if he should be worried. Online pass is not a reason to worry for someone who prefers playing the single-player

I would have said the same thing, except in Batman Arkham City there was an online pass that you had to enter to download the Cat Woman part of the single player game. It may have been called something else but it had pretty much the same purpose.

Except it wasn't an online pass. It was a code to get DLC for the game. Sony does online passes, not DLC passes. I don't expect that to change with this game.

True, but it serves the same purpose of an online pass. If you buy the game used you miss out on this peice of content that you would have go if you bought the game new.

Yes Sony doesn't do DLC passes yet, but it may for single player only games in the future. It's hard for us to know. I didn't think Sony was going to do online passes either, but they do now.

KeptoKnight said:
pezus said:
KeptoKnight said:
pezus said:
KeptoKnight said:
pezus said:
Nem said:

To be honest multiplayer modes on single player modes tend to be lackluster and take out from the sigle player quality.

Indeed im of the opinion that single player and online multiplayer should be separated. The content and quality of a game built from the ground up to deliver an engaging online envyronment cant be compared to the barebones, boring offer of single player games multiplayer mode. Without any doubt these modes are just an effort to get more microtransaction money from suckers.

Also, when i want a single player game why the hell am i paying for a crapy multiplayer one? Might aswell separate them and offer quality experiences on both.

I highly disagree with this. Games can definitely have a great single-player as well as multi-player. Naughty Dog did it, why don't you think SSM can do it? They are basically running the whole Sony games show.

Sowwy, that is matters of opinions. Some of us prefer for a developer to put their total efforts into single player. A lot of these multiplayer feel generic. Its not needed. But from a business perspective its $$$.

Except sometimes a great dev can make a better single player with multiplayer than other devs can do with only single player. I fully trust in SSM to deliver here.

It might for your expectations. But not for many of us. Some of us have a J psychoogcial trait which place great emphasis having things orderly and sytematically fursnished eg. story, sound, gameplay, control etc... 

I wonder how the ending of Mass Effect 3 would be like if they removed multiplayer from the gecko?

Why would the ending be any different. Bioware didn't need multiplayer to fuck up, just look at Dragon Age II

They releasing DLC this summer to clarify.

I'm pretty sure adding multiplayer had nothing to do with how ME3 ended. It's hard to tell why the game ended that way, but I have a feeling Bioward was trying to be the ultimate troll. By doing this they have created so much discussion for the game driving people to go play it to find out why people are upset. Though I may not agree with the ending I do enjoy all of the theories and discussion it has created.

WiiBox3 said:
pezus said:
WiiBox3 said:
pezus said:
KeptoKnight said:

Except it wasn't an online pass. It was a code to get DLC for the game. Sony does online passes, not DLC passes. I don't expect that to change with this game.

True, but it serves the same purpose of an online pass. If you buy the game used you miss out on this peice of content that you would have go if you bought the game new.

Yes Sony doesn't do DLC passes yet, but it may for single player only games in the future. It's hard for us to know. I didn't think Sony was going to do online passes either, but they do now.

Pretty much similar what I am trying to point out. Developers are  creepin into passes for single player.as well.