By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So I'm pretty much never downloading games from Nintendo again

Is this awesome or what guys?

Around the Network

Not the first time I fixed this.
Reason is a Google Chrome auto translate plugin.

Viper1 said:
Valdney said:
I really don't know anything about transfering games. Is it possible to play the Virtual Console games that I have saved on an sd card on different Wii systems?

No.  For Wii, download games are tied to the hardware.  For Wii U, they will be tied to a user account.

How can you be sure though? I'd like to think so, but is there proof beyond speculation? A Nintendo press release?

Accounts are not only meant for binding games, they can be used for forums, achievements, e-shop preferences, etc. etc. So, do you have a source or smtg, or this is just your gut?

happydolphin said:
Viper1 said:
Valdney said:
I really don't know anything about transfering games. Is it possible to play the Virtual Console games that I have saved on an sd card on different Wii systems?

No.  For Wii, download games are tied to the hardware.  For Wii U, they will be tied to a user account.

How can you be sure though? I'd like to think so, but is there proof beyond speculation? A Nintendo press release?

Accounts are not only meant for binding games, they can be used for forums, achievements, e-shop preferences, etc. etc. So, do you have a source or smtg, or this is just your gut?

It's what Iwata talked about in January.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

Are you referring to this? 

The "Nintendo Network," whose logo was just spotted on the Japanese Theatrhythm cover, will cover "competitions and communication among users, as well as the sales of digital content," Iwata said, for both 3DS and Wii U. 

Around the Network
famousringo said:

So if the rumours are to be believed, Wii U downloads of all kinds will be tied to hardware, just as there's apparently no way to download DSiWare games you've already bought to your new 3DS. When your hardare goes, so do your games. This stinks.

I have over 60 downloaded WiiWare and VC games on my Wii, and they'll all get left behind if I get a new Wii U (in contrast, the retail Wii games I have will all work with the new system, even if I bought them used for $10). I'm a pretty big proponent of digital distribution in general, but I just can't participate any further in the way Nintendo organizes their system. Not when many of the best WiiWare games show up later on iOS for less money and without being tied to hardware.

There are so many successful digital distribution models now that it's hard to believe a company like Nintendo can get it so wrong. Retail's days are numbered and Nintendo have shackled themselves to it. Leaving paid, licensed content behind on old hardware is the wrong way to do it, and I'm not buying another downloadable game from Nintendo until they get their act together.

Actually, I'd just recently read the opposite.  That being, Nintendo is aware people aren't happy about thier downloads being tied to hardware instead of user accounts, so for Wii U they're going to start tying all that to user accounts, just like XBL, PSN, and Steam. 

happydolphin said:
Viper1 said:

The "Nintendo Network," whose logo was just spotted on the Japanese Theatrhythm cover, will cover "competitions and communication among users, as well as the sales of digital content," Iwata said, for both 3DS and Wii U. 

No.  You know, links to it were already posted in this very thread.

Viper1 said:
happydolphin said:
Viper1 said:

I got that from one of the two sources. Can you please post which one exactly and the quote, I'd appreciate it.

Edit: This is all I found: Iwata says the network will offer "competitions and communication among users, as well as the sales of digital content," and in the case of the Wii U, will introduce personal user accounts. Iwata stopped just short of confirming that the Nintendo Network will end the company's policy of tying downloaded titles to Nintendo hardware, rather than individual users, but mentioned that it packed an infrastructure that supports not only add-on content, but fully downloadable retail games as well.

-------------

The rest seems like wishful thinking Viper.

happydolphin said:
Viper1 said:

I got that from one of the two sources. Can you please post which one exactly and the quote, I'd appreciate it.

Edit: This is all I found: Iwata says the network will offer "competitions and communication among users, as well as the sales of digital content," and in the case of the Wii U, will introduce personal user accounts. Iwata stopped just short of confirming that the Nintendo Network will end the company's policy of tying downloaded titles to Nintendo hardware, rather than individual users, but mentioned that it packed an infrastructure that supports not only add-on content, but fully downloadable retail games as well.

-------------

The rest seems like wishful thinking Viper.

So you are telling me that you think they'll establish individual user accounts but not tie the software to it but still tie the software to the hardware?

I know you like to post contrarian to the average Nintendo fan but you've continually taken it so far to the opposite side of fandom that all that is left is contrarian.

Viper1 said:

So you are telling me that you think they'll establish individual user accounts but not tie the software to it but still tie the software to the hardware?

I know you like to post contrarian to the average Nintendo fan but you've continually taken it so far to the opposite side of fandom that all that is left is contrarian.

LOL! You know what my father calls me? An obstructionist. Hahaha.

Okay, all I'm asking for is a nuance in your statement. They could end up doing something foolish and you'd have to bite your tongue you know