By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So I'm pretty much never downloading games from Nintendo again

pretty sure you can transfer DSIW games to 3DS, just not another DSi

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
1. The downloaded software locked to a single console was for the 3DS, not the Wii U.

Hmm, you appear to be correct. I guess I jumped the gun on this one.

famousringo said:

So if the rumours are to be believed, Wii U downloads of all kinds will be tied to hardware, just as there's apparently no way to download DSiWare games you've already bought to your new 3DS. When your hardare goes, so do your games. This stinks.

Yes there is! What are you talking about?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I know this was a issue with the Wii at one point, I would hope Nintendo would get over this by the time the Wii U is out.

I'll be pissed if I can't use my 80+ XBLA titles on the 720 for example.

It's just that simple.

noname2200 said:
Viper1 said:
1. The downloaded software locked to a single console was for the 3DS, not the Wii U.

Hmm, you appear to be correct. I guess I jumped the gun on this one.

Same here. Also glad to know there's hope for a Wii->Wii U transfer tool.

Around the Network

There will be a transfer tool.
Believe me, I knoww...

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

oniyide said:
im sorry, but why the hell did you DL SO many games, knowing that you couldnt transfer them later?? Makes no sense to me

Because I assumed at the time that Nintendo would later provide a method for transferring the games to new hardware. Lack of such a method at the 3DS launch, plus my own frustrations trying to migrate save games to a new Wii (drives me bonkers how hard Nintendo makes this. For some savegames, it's blocked altogether) have since reduced my faith that Nintendo will take care of its customers.

When I heard Nintendo was pushing download codes as an alternative to retail discs, I was initially enthusiastic, until I realized that disc-based Wii games are the ones which are guaranteed to work on a new Wii U, while digital games are still up in the air.

Glad to hear about the DSi to 3DS tool, though. Clumsy, but acceptable. Nintendo probably will release a similar tool for Wiis in the months after the Wii U launch.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

This is total bullshit. All they have to do is tie it to an online account - if they don't want people to abuse the feature then simply tie the online account to one piece of unique hardware. Basicallyall your content can only be on one wii or 3ds etc, and not on two wiis or 2 3ds.

They don't want people playing their friends' games at their house for free. fine, tie the online account to one piece of hardware and I can deactivate my account when I buy a new piece of hardware for whatever reason (maybe I need a 2nd wii u because the first one accidentally breaks!).

I can't believe these people, who I respect, don't see how it is an industry standard in today's age to have your shit in the cloud, not on hardware.

famousringo said:
oniyide said:
im sorry, but why the hell did you DL SO many games, knowing that you couldnt transfer them later?? Makes no sense to me

Glad to hear about the DSi to 3DS tool, though. Clumsy, but acceptable. Nintendo probably will release a similar tool for Wiis in the months after the Wii U launch.

It should be available right at launch.  The reason the DSi > 3DS transfer service took 6 weeks to launch is because the network backbone was still in the works and being tested.  The transfer service uses the Internet.

For the Wii U, the network system will be ready day 1 as it runs on the same backbone as the 3DS service.

EDIT:

Robzo, you've not read the whole thread, have you?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

robzo100 said:
This is total bullshit. All they have to do is tie it to an online account - if they don't want people to abuse the feature then simply tie the online account to one piece of unique hardware. Basicallyall your content can only be on one wii or 3ds etc, and not on two wiis or 2 3ds.

They don't want people playing their friends' games at their house for free. fine, tie the online account to one piece of hardware and I can deactivate my account when I buy a new piece of hardware for whatever reason (maybe I need a 2nd wii u because the first one accidentally breaks!).

I can't believe these people, who I respect, don't see how it is an industry standard in today's age to have your shit in the cloud, not on hardware.

This is exactly how I feel.

The transfer tool solution is clumsy, if not perfectly retarded.