By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's PS All-Stars, discuss the similarities and differences, and if needed express your displeasure (No trolling allowed)

Tagged games:

So, is it a Brawl clone?

Yes 260 41.73%

No 42 6.74%

Kind of 43 6.90%

Who cares, it'll be fun either was 229 36.76%

I'm disgusted 47 7.54%

Total:621
blkfish92 said:
Obviously a copy lol, but I'm down anyway it's going to be awesome

I see you did not read the OP at all.

Around the Network

Yes, it's a Smash Bros. clone. No, I don't feel any displeasure.

Quite the contrary actually, Brawl is one of my favorite games ever, I say:

Signature goes here!

AstroMaSSi said:
The rule is simple: make a good game and you can expect someone to put something similar on the market.

Now I didn't say similar, I said identical with a reskin.

@trucks. I didn't realize you had such a high-pitched voice! And anyways, you and I have a brawl game to play soon. Let's settle our differences on a good game of Smash.

happydolphin said:
@panama, can you be a little more constructive and explain which 2D fighting games you remember having 2v2 battle before smash? I'm actually curious myself, because I can't remember which were I mostly remember tag battles.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just interested to know if it did which game it was.

1992, 6 years before the first Smash Bros. It lacked platforms and ring outs though, but it was one of, if not the first 4-player fighter.

Start at ~1:56.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

The game looks shit.

Around the Network
Light said:
The game looks shit.

This grammar looks shit.

Jay520 said:
blkfish92 said:
Obviously a copy lol, but I'm down anyway it's going to be awesome

I see you did not read the OP at all.

I'm not trolling or anything so don't be a smart ass. I said it's a copy and I'm still buying it.

To the Sony fans saying that Nintendo didn't invent this fighting game style so Sony can copy them, that is a lame excuse. They copied the combat, the way you use moves(buttons with direction of analog stick) and even copied final smashes. They couldn't even change the colors on the part where it shows the health bar and picture of the character. It is a blatant and intentional copy.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Jay520 said:
Light said:
The game looks shit.

This grammar looks shit.

Jay, don't rile my readers up. Plz

happydolphin said:

Oh, I'll edit that right away

I understand it's a great thing for Sony either way to showcase their IPs (whether inspired or copied from Smash) and that I'm glad they're doing. It's good for them as a company to show to everybody that they DO have a plethora of IP characters. It's something they've needed to do in a long time so I'm happy about that.

I agree that Nintendo shouldn't have any rule over the Smash genre. What I was expecting as an entry into the genre was something more of Sony's creation, in the style of Smash.

But what we have here is like an artist drawing a portrait of someone. They look at the person and they draw.

If it were done more honestly, I believe we would have seen a different default for number of air jumps, a different animation style for grabs, a different animation style for pummels, different camera dynamics, different camera distances, new settings (water, sand), different aspect ratios, different speeds and dynamics.

But as it is, it's nearly identical to smash and I really have a hard time with that...

So these are the areas you feel are too similar to Smash Bros? I suppose you've got me there as I haven't played SSBBrawl enough to recognize all the intricate similarities, but..I just don't feel that changing the nature of air jumps or trying to come up specifically with animations that look different serves any purpose to the game, other than 'we're not Super Smash Bros'; they should just use what they think works best for a 2d brawler, whether it appears in another company's game or not. This is the problem of only Nintendo really making these games; there are genre standards for more traditional fighting games that every developer uses, but because there are so many developers they don't get called out for specifically copying  one another, it's just a genre standard. There's only so many ways a character can grab or punch another character, and I've already seen unique and interesting moves from paRappa and Fat Princess in those videos, ones specific to their character, that I don't see the problems with the moves either. 

The camera is limited to a 2d plane, there's not much you can do with that. The characters all have unique attributes in terms of speed and power etc, and we've only seen a few stages so far...and they impressed me? I like how dynamic they are, the quizzes and world-building in the LBP/Buzz level, Hades messing things up in the GoW/Patapon level etc. I feel there are, or will be when more footage is shown, enough unique aspects of the game that you cannot find in other Smash games to justify it's existence, nevermind the angle of pure fan-service for Sony characters.

As I mentioned in the previous post, and this is the key point, the things that differentiate fighting games are unique characters, unique movelists, a different physical feel to the characters, unique stages, unique music, unique art etc This game has all that and possibly more. (the best online integration to be in a Smash game most likely, for example. Indulge my inner fanboy for a moment here but the potential for things like constantly updating info on your friend's records/stats/current status/stage ala the new Need for Speed or SSX would be wonderful, but that's just speculation from me ).