By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If I Wanted America to Fail....

Interesting, but it is this type of skewed perspective that is used to insite hatred, and feed the misinformed in their arguments and frustrations.

Around the Network

Great video.

Salnax said:
"FreeMarketAmerica" says the Free Market is the only source of prosperity in history?

Sounds legit.

I think they probably chose the name because of that belief, not the other way around. It's like being shocked that the Communist Party advocates Communism.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Brilliant propaganda. It was pretty much just fearmongering.

Rath said:

We get propaganda from the Establishment 24/7. We can have our own, too!

Around the Network
Rath said:

It wasn't nearly as bad as An Inconvenient Truth, mostly because it didn't go on for an hour and a half.

I checked youtube. A lot of people are convinced that this is a pro Republican video. The subject in question has been around since before I was born. That means that it has persisted through Democrat and Republican offices. It's not a political agenda, at least not in the traditional sense.

Kantor said:
Salnax said:
"FreeMarketAmerica" says the Free Market is the only source of prosperity in history?

Sounds legit.

I think they probably chose the name because of that belief, not the other way around. It's like being shocked that the Communist Party advocates Communism.

I know. It's just that I'm suspicious of anyone with that sort of name. It's like NintendoPie defending the sales of the Pikmin games. He can use all the monochrome scenes and camera angles he wants, I still won't be impressed.

Now, if NintendoPie defended the Ford Taurus, I would be forced to pay attention.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
Kantor said:
Salnax said:

Sounds legit.

I know. It's just that I'm suspicious of anyone with that sort of name. It's like NintendoPie defending the sales of the Pikmin games. He can use all the monochrome scenes and camera angles he wants, I still won't be impressed.

Now, if NintendoPie defended the Ford Taurus, I would be forced to pay attention.

Also unsurprising would be if he defended pastry or irrational numbers.

However, the only reason that organisation exists is that several people felt passionate about the free market and were motivated to create it. The only worrying thing would be if they suddenly started arguing in favour of bailouts and corporation tax hikes.

Regardless of the arguments made in such a video, it's important to remember that it's basically a pitch. Someone is trying to sell you on an idea, and regardless of the quality of said idea, not to mention the people behind it, pitching with fear is an easy way of gathering attention and mindshare.

I don't know how real the arguments are, I don't know american politics nor much about economy, but I do know that we need to prepare for the future. We're completely dependant on fossil fuels at the moment, both for energy but in the case of oil, for many other products as well. The world economy is basically attached to oil, which makes it all the more crucial that we deal with peak oil. This makes me sceptical of arguments regarding "America's cheap energy sources", as, while America has definitely had cheap energy, that's not something that lasts forever, and something has to be done.

As such I can't help but be sceptical of the whole thing.