By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Super Mario Bros. 2 is not what I want

Nintendo needs to improve the graphics and art before release?

Yes, ALOT! 88 27.24%

Yes, kinda 49 15.17%

it's fine as it is 90 27.86%

Graphics, who cares? 76 23.53%

Sales are what matter, bring NSMB! 20 6.19%

Total:323

^Simple question, simple answer. Now for the more complex question. Why?

Why is Nintendo not giving one of its biggest brands a more complete treatment, a less generic treatment?

Do they believe that by making it less cheesy, they will sell less? If so, they are no longer targetting me as their audience and I just have to suck it up and look for my pleasure elsewhere, and stop whining.

If not, I will continue to protest. Viva la revolucion!

Around the Network

Absolutely gorgeous. This is the kind of thing that makes me hate Nintendo at times.

I agree that the music in NSMB needed to change. It was reused in the Wii version and made it the worst in the series. The NSMB games have nothing on the design of Super Mario World (my favorite all-time Mario game).

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

NSMB was not using DS's power, on a machine more powerful than a Wii, they're not taking advantage of that, and neither pushing well over what NSMB did...I'm sure with you on this!

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

I wouldn't say "improve". But they should change the art style. In the past, each sequel was pretty unique: different character design, different colors, new worlds, etc. Since New Super Mario Bros. for the NDS, Nintendo seems to have stalled.

2D Marios remain incredible fun (the Wii version is probably the game that provided me the best fun I had in the past decade). Still, NSMB2 looks the same, the Wii U version looks the same and they're starting to look like level packs instead of sequels.

Zelda does not disappoint. With every new game, we are all anxious to see how it evolved. With Mario, they are killing the surprise factor to increase short-term benefits...

Around the Network
happydolphin said:

Okay, the pine-trees have Christmas tree decorations in them... and they're all the same height. Even SMB bros had varying backdrop objects...

There's something generic, something cheesy about NSMB2's art style and I'm really not a fan of it. Am I the only one to see it?

It just smells money-making, in contrast with awesomeness...

Dear what do you want them to do? You have seen 4 pictures and have made an amazing amount of assumptions on what the new game wll be like. Take it easy...just because 4 pictures didn't have varying background objects doesn't mean the whole game won't.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

has anyone seen the game in motion in here!? or in 3D, because if you have not, then what u are discussing in here is all shit

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
has anyone seen the game in motion in here!? or in 3D, because if you have not, then what u are discussing in here is all shit

Hilarious the amount of panic/assumptions 4 screens caused!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

You see I think in order to understand Nintendo's direction with this game we have to understand the genesis of the New Super Mario Bros. series.

When it was originally spawned on the DS in 2006 it was the first 2D side-scrolling Mario game since 1992's Super Mario Land 2. It's clear from the game's art direction that Nintendo considered the it to be something of an exercise in nostalgia. The game used simple shapes and colours, much like its NES and SNES predecessors, simply rendered with a decent resolution. The game was a tribute as much as it was a game in its own right. As we now know the game went on to be colossal success, and this is where Nintendo's problem starts.

How can you justify radically changing any game feature in a series whose previous two entries have sold in excess of 25 million units globally? Who would sign off on that? You'd have to be downright crazy. This is the same problem that COD has. The designers look at the game, its style, its content, its gameplay and know that any radical change to these elements risks destroying the delicate balance that constitutes a "hit" in the video game industry.

Nintendo, rightly so from a business perspective, doesn't shake things up too much with their two biggest selling franchises, New Super Mario Bros., and Mario Kart. After all, who would want to be the game designer that messed up one of Nintendo's most bankable streams of income?

pezus said:

I certainly hope the Wii U Mario games can approach the graphics we see here:

Why on God's great earth would developers spend so much time making such gorgeous graphics, when they know the console will strip out most of the crisp details...

Why in the world would Nintendo release an N64 transfer pack and sell it to us at 50$ to give us an OoT to MM jump, when a much greater jump could be achieved by simply supplying a damn HDMI port!!! ??? And the 2nd Wii version removes the Cube BC, but doesn't add a basic HDMI port??

I want to slap them.