By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Super Mario Bros. 2 is not what I want

Nintendo needs to improve the graphics and art before release?

Yes, ALOT! 88 27.24%

Yes, kinda 49 15.17%

it's fine as it is 90 27.86%

Graphics, who cares? 76 23.53%

Sales are what matter, bring NSMB! 20 6.19%

Total:323

Hi fellows. Well, it looks like after all the wait, Nintendo finally announced what the 3DS' 2D Mario will be. *Curtains open*

Now I know alot of you guys were enthused, alot of you were happy, so I didn't want to rain on your parade. But it's been almost 4 days now and now I kind of wanna talk.

So, before the enveil, RolStoppable had posted a Mario 2D thread, talking about Shawn Malstrom's view of Mario's impact on the market back in the NES days. At some point I asked Rol a very important question: is Malstrom pushing Mario 2D for sales, or is he pushing it for awesomeness (the entertainment value of the game), and Rol told me what I wanted to hear, that is, the push for Mario 2D is a push for awesomeness. Now, Rol also added to that Sales and awesomeness are one and the same.

Well, enter New Super Mario Bros. 2

Needless to say, the graphics are lackluster, I sure hope as hell this is not the final product, but whatevs.

The game's mechanics look interesting, the return of the P-bar is more than welcome and will make the game faster-paced I hope. Even if it's just for this, I will be happy.

But the graphics... come on! What are they doing? The grass is junk, the resolution is junk.

(Here are some comparison shots)

I mean, this is your multi-million selling product. Seriously, look at the pic on the top-right. It makes absolutely no sense that Nintendo would do this, if they were not rushing the product to market. Is this awesomeness? To rush things and give us a half-product?? Those spiders look dumb, that's all I'm gonna say, and their webs are even dumber.

Ah, all in all I sure as hell hope this game will be fun, but I'm not buying a half-product for more than 30$, my apologies. I will wait for it to go 2nd hand on ebay and just buy it there if this continues until launch. I mean, this is a 2D game, how much could it possibly cost to make it air-tight, perfect quality for all to enjoy? Graphics are important for some, and to me, the presentation on this pilot is lacking and it needs to get fixed before the release. Nintendo, this is one of your top-selling brands. Do something will ya?

Ladies, gents, share your thoughts.

Around the Network

You're complaing about the graphics but the 3DS isn't that powerful. It doesn't look any worse and NSMB on the Wii.

If this is bad graphics, you should play the Original one..
Its New super mario bros. The series is about A normal 2d Mario game with the sterile 3d graphics and ok level design. It looks better then i expected s ofar.

Since the 3DS is almost as powerful as a gamecube, I'd expect much better graphical presentation than NSMB on the DS. Yes, pezus you're right:NSMBWii is much better than NSMB DS, and the 3DS is capable of GC+ graphics.

Just shows they're putting no effort in. I expect recycled music (or else just ambience, not memorable Mario music of the past) and some recycled levels as well.

When they use a full live orchestra like for Mario and Zelda I'll know they've decided to take their highest selling game series seriously again.

I'll buy it because the classic Mario gameplay will no doubt be intact, but if this doesn't show up how little Miyamoto cares about his customers I don't know what could. It'll be funny when it outsells 3D Land, maybe that will show them what kind of game they need to invest the budget in?

Also Nintendo, I thought "surprising" the customer was the #1 priority at Nintendo now?

Around the Network

Hopefully, Nintendo will release their next portable New Super Mario Bros. game for the Vita so that this kind of discussions can die once and for all.

Nintendo games are about Content and Gameplay. Graphics are not what makes games timeless.

If the platforming is fun who cares what it looks like...but they need to seriously up their game with 2D mario because as far as this gen is concerned for me Retro & their DKRC put the 2D Marios to shame.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Hopefully Nintendo will release their next portable New Super Mario Bros. game for the Vita so that these kind of discussions can die once and for all.

Nintendo games are about Content and Gameplay. Graphics are not what makes games timeless.

This is a forum, so let's talk. And by talking, I mean giving you a thousand words, many times.

There's more, want some?

Soleron said:

Just shows they're putting no effort in. I expect recycled music (or else just ambience, not memorable Mario music of the past) and some recycled levels as well.

When they use a full live orchestra like for Mario and Zelda I'll know they've decided to take their highest selling game series seriously again.

I'll buy it because the classic Mario gameplay will no doubt be intact, but if this doesn't show up how little Miyamoto cares about his customers I don't know what could. It'll be funny when it outsells 3D Land, maybe that will show them what kind of game they need to invest the budget in?

Also Nintendo, I thought "surprising" the customer was the #1 priority at Nintendo now?

The funny thing is, it will have the OPPOSITE effect.  Why would they are any company go the extra mile to when they know it will sell like hot cakes anyway??? They wont, which is exactly what seems to be going on with this Mario game. I find it funny their are some who are complaning about lack of effort but are going to buy the damn game anyway. You are all part of the problem, if you are really dissatisfied then dont support them. As for investing, im pretty sure a fully 3d game is going to take more resources than a 2d one, sales dont matter.

OT, im going to get it cause A, its Mario and when had a 2d game from him ever really pushed visuals, B dat Racoon suit C its a portable game and my expectations for all games on handheld are usually lower.  I dont mind what they are doing, but if they pull this halfassed crap for Wii U then im gonna pass on that one or wait for a price

Just a few more, for flavor