By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Super Mario Bros. 2 is not what I want

Nintendo needs to improve the graphics and art before release?

Yes, ALOT! 88 27.24%

Yes, kinda 49 15.17%

it's fine as it is 90 27.86%

Graphics, who cares? 76 23.53%

Sales are what matter, bring NSMB! 20 6.19%

Total:323
Soleron said:

I am already not supporting them. I did not buy 3D Land and will not buy a Wii U. I am buying this because I would rather see infinite lackluster 2D Mario games than one more 3D Land. (Of course they should keep making 3D Mario but it should not get the flagship marketing budget).

I don't know what using 3D Land's budget on a 2D game would do to sales, and Nintendo doesn't know either, because they haven't tried the last 3 times. I suggest trying - a good enough Mario game will presumably sell 40m like SMB1, and Nintendo needs to experiment with all possibilities to get it there. They've tried 3D enough to know it won't.

3D Land seems to be a giant success, though. It's selling on-par with Mario Kart, and the 2 previous installations of Mario Kart have sold on-par with their 2D Mario counterparts. In other words, I'm expecting 3D Land to sell as well as New Super Mario Bros 2.

As for a far higher production value giving 2D Mario more sales, I rather doubt that. They're pretty near selling as much as is at all possible - barely any games have sold to between 1/4 and 1/3 console owners, and that's even harder with the more consoles you sell. Yet, that's what Mario Kart Wii, WSR/Fit and NSMB Wii managed.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
@ happyd

Are you on drugs?

Tell me the last time Nintendo half assed a Mario game. Even the VB game Marios Hotel received decent reviews! What the hell isthis thread? They have months before it comes out.
Furthermore the 3DS has been shitting gold since around November of last year. The eshop is deadly, they seemed to be fixing a lot of their problems that they had in this gen and before.

But having said all that you think that for no reason at all Nintendo is just going to destroy Mario. I think that three hours of sleep was not enough for you dude.

@ oniyide

Ditto

Hotel Mario is the CD-i Mario Game, but I heard it's decent too! At least it doesn't get the bad rep the CD-i Zelda games get!

Soleron, with Galaxy selling 10M, I don't think you can say Nintendo shouldn't put their full backing behind 3D Mario, in comparison with other flagships of course, such as Gran Turismo and Halo.

However, at 20+Million copies sold, the argument applies twice as strongly for2D Mario, if you know what I mean

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
Soleron said:

Just shows they're putting no effort in. I expect recycled music (or else just ambience, not memorable Mario music of the past) and some recycled levels as well.

When they use a full live orchestra like for Mario and Zelda I'll know they've decided to take their highest selling game series seriously again.

I'll buy it because the classic Mario gameplay will no doubt be intact, but if this doesn't show up how little Miyamoto cares about his customers I don't know what could. It'll be funny when it outsells 3D Land, maybe that will show them what kind of game they need to invest the budget in?

Also Nintendo, I thought "surprising" the customer was the #1 priority at Nintendo now?

The funny thing is, it will have the OPPOSITE effect.  Why would they are any company go the extra mile to when they know it will sell like hot cakes anyway??? They wont, which is exactly what seems to be going on with this Mario game. I find it funny their are some who are complaning about lack of effort but are going to buy the damn game anyway. You are all part of the problem, if you are really dissatisfied then dont support them. As for investing, im pretty sure a fully 3d game is going to take more resources than a 2d one, sales dont matter.

OT, im going to get it cause A, its Mario and when had a 2d game from him ever really pushed visuals, B dat Racoon suit C its a portable game and my expectations for all games on handheld are usually lower.  I dont mind what they are doing, but if they pull this halfassed crap for Wii U then im gonna pass on that one or wait for a price

If that's true, then I am sick, just sick of the new Nintendo. Don't they realize that if they make a game good for us, it will also be enjoyable for casuals?

The only place where I can give them the benefit of the doubt is if in their eyes a less "gamer" game will be more attractive to casuals and non-gamers. They level-down the tone of the game to less serious and more bland so as to be more generic and attract a bigger market.

The idea makes me sick... and frustrated.

What they realize is that they can do only a little bit and get max profits, they are no different than Activision with COD, its only less obvious cause COD is a yearly release. Ninty isnt some benevolant company.  i got over this years ago, with other companies, the only thing you can do is simply not support them, but there are more people willing to take your place so its really a lost cause

Simplicity, part of the appeal of the NSMB game is that and makes it appealing to big audience. The art style is ismple as hell too, i dont know how much bettr textures you want on a cartoony looking grass or how much polygons you need on a goomba. They will look pretty much the same. The resolution is bad because the 3ds res itself is bad. This is 2d mario, the game itself revlover around level design and content. Graphically there isnt a lot to do or really improve with the NSMB franchise, just change the setting, but will lose familiarity with the casual market.
I agree music should improve tough.

Around the Network

^oni, can you just snip the quote-trees plz? Thanks luv

@Deoz. You don't need polygons for 2D grass. All you need is time and talent (for 2D art)

happydolphin said:
@Deoz. You don't need polygons for 2D grass. All you need is time and talent (for 2D art)

Then why are you complaining about graphics? Complaining that art style is still teh same would be more understandable, but again it will lose familiarity with the casula market.

pezus said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Hopefully Nintendo will release their next portable New Super Mario Bros. game for the Vita so that these kind of discussions can die once and for all.

Nintendo games are about Content and Gameplay. Graphics are not what makes games timeless.

The screenshots they have shown look like exact copies of the Wii version. That is Content. Gameplay will always be the same.

No, it's not. That's like saying the DS version had the same content as the Wii version just because the first levels had the same theme.

@Dios. Now you're talking. So are they making a graphically polished game (top-tier presentation), or are they making a game to cater to a casual market?

If so, I say I'm not buying it, because I'm not a casual consumer. I want top games.