Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony did not properly market Uncharted

What is your point of view

They could have marketed it much better 43 29.66%

They did a usual job, nothing spectacular 42 28.97%

It was fine 37 25.52%

They did more than enough 23 15.86%

Total:145
kowenicki said:
Uncharted 3 had the biggest marketing budget in the UK that Sony has ever spent on any single game....

Sony market the Playstation brand like crazy in Europe and this game too had a very high profile campaign.

I think HappyDolphin meant that Sony should have marketed Uncharted as a movie.

Around the Network

Well, that's kind of what they did for Final Fantasy VII, and it really worked I find.

kowenicki said:
Jay520 said:
kowenicki said:
Uncharted 3 had the biggest marketing budget in the UK that Sony has ever spent on any single game....

Sony market the Playstation brand like crazy in Europe and this game too had a very high profile campaign.

I think HappyDolphin meant that Sony should have marketed Uncharted as a movie.

They pretty much did in the UK

The trailers were big scale and showed gameplay and cut scenes and it def had a blockbuster feel to the ad campaign.  It actually felt like a movie ad.

They marketed it perfectly in the UK imo... they actually did what they are often accused of not doing.  Noting ethereal, nothing smart... just good advertising, tv ads, billboards and cinema.

Yeah, Sony typically has good marketing for their high-quality games. It's the mid-quality games that miss out on marketing love.

happydolphin said:
Well, that's kind of what they did for Final Fantasy VII, and it really worked I find.

Uncharted 3 should reach the 5.5m+ range. Don't you think that's the upper limit of it's potential?

^Ohhhh no! Not at all. That game could sell in droves. It has the appeal of a greak blockbuster flick.

I know ioi comes from a box-office discussion background, but for those more familiar how many tickets can a big movie sell on opening week, or while out in the theaters?

Around the Network

Since they changed their game model (as you said jay it's a 10-hour movie-game), they could change their pricing model and reach more masses. I mean, if more people are gonna rent it anyways, Sony might as well leech some of the sales by lowering the MSRP. What do you think?

happydolphin said:

Since they changed their game model (as you said jay it's a 10-hour movie-game), they could change their pricing model and reach more masses. I mean, if more people are gonna rent it anyways, Sony might as well leech some of the sales by lowering the MSRP. What do you think?

I don't that would be practical. Any meaningful drop in price would probably make Sony lose more money considering the Uncharted games cost a lot to develop. And besides, people would still rent the games. 40$ isn't more pursuasive than 60$ when you already plan to rent it for 10$.

Also, I prefer being quoted. When I see the Blue notification, my brain releases a hormone that gives me a euphoric feeling.

mmm, did this give you the feeling, or does the quote-box need to be there?

You could spend a shit load on marketing.

And not make money like EA.

There's a thing called diminishing marginal returns. Ask yourselves, how many more copies would Sony had sold per million dollars it spends? It probably wouldn't have been enough to justify the cost. If getting the most sales was the sole metric you guys are looking at for success, then all companies should just spend their entire budget on marketing, rather than say, developing new games.