By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Edge: Microsoft's Xbox division loses $229 million

zhao3gold said:
Try harder to down play the success of 360, try harder.

lol....these people are just reporting on news. Don't take it too personally dude.

Around the Network

How did they lose money on the 360 this quarter? Every unit is sold at a profit, they are selling plenty software, XBL Gold subscriptions keep on keeping on, and kinect is still doing well. Maybe their overall division just sucks since I assume the xbox isn't in its own division. Or perhaps this is just MS making less money and not losing money?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Seece said:
Mazty, unless you've actually ran the figures then be quiet.

'It's no surprise that MS have lost money on the Xbox this far into its lifespan. I'm amazed that loses haven't been more prevalent given the above.'

The 360 has turned a profit, I have all the data going back to when released. It's ahead of the PS3 (fact) and will overtake the Wii in the UK and US) that shoots down your first dig, the hardware problems are history now, marketshare has grown.

They're right when they call you out for trolling.

People shouldn't do that though. Even if its true I've been banned for saying someone is trolling. Just report the person and move on. No need to give these people attention.

Seece said:
so many Sony fans seem insistant on shitting up 360 sales thread lately 0_o

It goes both ways dude :D

Anyway its usually the new users who end up ruining threads.

homer said:
How did they lose money on the 360 this quarter? Every unit is sold at a profit, they are selling plenty software, XBL Gold subscriptions keep on keeping on, and kinect is still doing well. Maybe their overall division just sucks since I assume the xbox isn't in its own division. Or perhaps this is just MS making less money and not losing money?

To answer your question(s): No the 360 is not in it's own devision, it's in the EED devision which includes several devices and services.

While the devision did lose money, going off the figures that is NOT due to the 360.

Even though it seems like the 360 did make less money.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
the truth hurts xbots :P and i will be very pleased to be banned for this comment

Lol, what truth? The article is misleading. We don't know if it is the Xbox that lost money. It could have very likely been the Windows Phone 7, Windows 8 tablets, Zune, etc. that are all in that division as well as other products.

If anything, all this points to in my eyes is a ramping up of production for next generation dev kits and R&D which would create losses without any way to get profits until the next gen starts.

But enjoy your ban, since that's what you wanted :)

Yes, much more likely. BTW the "Corporate-level activity" balance sheet item, where MS puts many losses from all its divisions (amongst which every cost for R&D that has applications for more than one division), reports increased losses YoY by ~200M on the 3 months period and by 480M on the 9 months one.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4524659

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

*Reads Mazty's posts*

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

all i got from this post is that you left your house alone and had a little kid with you at the airport which means...you are a pedo and abducted a child? and because you understood it was wriong and felt bad for that you tried to kill yourself with a jump out of an airplane? and to show remorse you used the cristo redentor to get maybe still the chance for a place in heaven?

So increased expenditures in R&D and marketing, some payments made to Nokia, and slower than expected sales (I would assume 360 worldwide and Lumia in Europe) account for the losses. Makes sense.

I would imagine they'll be posting losses for a number of quarters (most non-holiday quarters) given upcoming investments into the next Xbox and XBL/GFWL integration into Windows 8 and Windows 8 phones, but a year or two after the release of Win 8 and the new Xbox they'll be in a very comfortable position.

zero129 said:
Barozi said:
zero129 said:
Barozi said:
It was getting tiresome so I just did what zero told me to.

Bottom line. Even if it is gross profit or not, you should be able to tell when something makes tons of money or not. We're not talking about tiny amounts here and I don't care if the real profit is $100m lower than what I said or not, because it simply doesn't make any meaningful difference.

Durango can't use Blu-ray ? Another weird claim of yours. Of course it could.

In your free time look up the profits the 360 made over the years and then come back and apologize.

Nice one, its clear he was only in here for one reason and deserves the ban imo :D

You all saw it. I gave him several copportunities to show some facts and the only thing he brought up was Amazon. Poor baby seals.

I was going to post about how many chances you gave him to millenium, but i think anyone can see for them selfs he had more then enough. I mean like you said, he was asked to prove his point and he pulls up numbers of amazon lol, and also goes on to say how will the Nextbox survive without blueray when its clear MS will be using it hahaha. He deserved the ban :D.

It's clear the next xbox will be using the media format created by the competition, meaning that the next xbox will help line the competitions pockets?

If you say so......But then again your comments on eye tracking weren't exactly on target...