By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Edge: Microsoft's Xbox division loses $229 million

ethomaz said:
Seece said:
ethomaz said:
Seece said:
ethomaz said:

These 1.4 million consoles is true??? so undertracked here ~500k.

And overshipped confirmed.

Why would there be 1.5m on shelves?

500k undertracked is less than 1.4m on shelves for 31th March.

A likely number on shelves.

Even your own numbers don't back up your defense, 800k and 1.1m are the last 2 years, not 1.4m.

Ok. Just wait VGC update their numbers to show the real stuff... I'm wrong if VGC change 360 numbers to over 600k in the next weeks.

The numbers still arnt gospel Ethomaz, what we have though is 1m~ on shelves around late march for the last 2 years shooting up to 1.4m this year despite demand being down. If the channels were full they wouldn't have shipped anywhere near 1.4m either.

Around the Network
Mazty said:
mike_intellivision said:
Funny.Nintendo reports losses in that range and everyone writes the company off. Microsoft reports losses in that range and everyone shrugs.

While admittedly Microsoft has other profitable units to keep the bottom line "in the black" -- continued losses could lead analysts and investors to call for the jettisoning of the games division.

Mike from Morgantown

There's nothing 'funny' about it; it's obvious economics.

Nintendo have nothing but their game division, whereas MS have numerous other incomes, whether it's Windows or other lesser known revenue streams such as their revenue from every android device sold, which is about $400 million a year. There are no signs that the game division will be ditched, but more likely that analysts will be speculating if the 360 has hit it's expiry date.

My post was a bit "tongue-in-check" -- mostly to point out the different takes that essentially the same type of news receives. Of the three console makers, Microsoft is in the best position currently to handle a small quarterly loss because of its other profitable. Sony would probably be in the worst because the entire company has been losing money.

As for shareholder complaints, this was not an "off-the-cuff" remark. Those were heard long-and-hard during the early Xbox start-up, money losing days.  So if the Durango Xbox R&D charges causes profits of the corprorate entity to plument, there will probably be complaints again.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Seece said:
ethomaz said:
Seece said:
ethomaz said:
Seece said:
ethomaz said:

These 1.4 million consoles is true??? so undertracked here ~500k.

And overshipped confirmed.

Why would there be 1.5m on shelves?

500k undertracked is less than 1.4m on shelves for 31th March.

A likely number on shelves.

Even your own numbers don't back up your defense, 800k and 1.1m are the last 2 years, not 1.4m.

Ok. Just wait VGC update their numbers to show the real stuff... I'm wrong if VGC change 360 numbers to over 600k in the next weeks.

The numbers still arnt gospel Ethomaz, what we have though is 1m~ on shelves around late march for the last 2 years shooting up to 1.4m this year despite demand being down. If the channels were full they wouldn't have shipped anywhere near 1.4m either.

~1.4 million on shelves in March is fine... there are nothing wrong with that... less than 1 million is because happened anything (like last year).

BenVTrigger said:
@ Mazty

Ranting? I'm not even mad I really don't care if Halo sells 50 copies or 100 bazillion copies the only reason I'm arguing with you is because your wrong, otherwise I could care less.

People who parade around with an agenda are boring especially when they are simply arguing cirles like you are just to try to stay in the conversation. Whats ironic is you keep telling people to state numbers and facts to back up what they are saying. Me and Barozi have both done so. Posted exact sales, how much MS gains in cash from both, etc. And yet you yourself have yet to post a single statistical fact.

So please good sir, explain to us with detailed numbers and math how COD gains MS more money than Halo.

Well said. Haven't seen a single link or logical explanation that would back up his claims. We did our part, now it's his turn.

Barozi said:
BenVTrigger said:
@ Mazty

Ranting? I'm not even mad I really don't care if Halo sells 50 copies or 100 bazillion copies the only reason I'm arguing with you is because your wrong, otherwise I could care less.

People who parade around with an agenda are boring especially when they are simply arguing cirles like you are just to try to stay in the conversation. Whats ironic is you keep telling people to state numbers and facts to back up what they are saying. Me and Barozi have both done so. Posted exact sales, how much MS gains in cash from both, etc. And yet you yourself have yet to post a single statistical fact.

So please good sir, explain to us with detailed numbers and math how COD gains MS more money than Halo.

Well said. Haven't seen a single link or logical explanation that would back up his claims. We did our part, now it's his turn.

Sorry, do you not have access to amazon.com?

Do you know how Durango will get by without using bluray?

Do you know how much net profits are from the Halo franchise and Xbox Live? Because so far only gross profits have been shown, or guestimated, which is pretty piss poor. Care to state how I'm being illogical? For a moderator you are taking a highly unprofessional condescending tone. 

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Mazty said:
Barozi said:
BenVTrigger said:
@ Mazty

Do you know how much net profits are from the Halo franchise and Xbox Live? Because so far only gross profits have been shown, or guestimated, which is pretty piss poor. Care to state how I'm being illogical? For a moderator you are taking a highly unprofessional condescending tone. 

Why dont you shut up or put up. You have been ranting on for ages in here repeating your self over and over, you have been showing numbers by 2 users, you have been proving wrong a number of times. So if you think you are right, SHOW YOUR NUMBERS, if you cant do that shut up and l;eave the thread as you are adding nothing to it. Hell if i was a mod id give you a warning for clear trolling of a topic.....

Go to amazon.com and you can see that MW2, 3 and BO are more expensive then Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

Also, you have only shown gross profits, which are completely useless. We need to know net profit to assess the value of profits. The level of financial ignorance on this site is alarming. The fact you think gross profits prove I'm wrong shows you quoted a post you don't even understand. The only post that is of zero value is yours, unless you wanted to demonstrate how little you know of economics. 

I have been clear and concise every time I have made my points, with people thinking that half-baked and incorrect rebutals are of some value. I'm trolling in your eyes because I know the difference between gross and net profit? Keep at it bud. 

Also you think talking about the profits of the 360 on a thread about the XBox division losing $229 million could be seen as trolling? Are you for real?

zero129 said:
Mazty said:
zero129 said:
Mazty said:
Barozi said:
BenVTrigger said:
@ Mazty

Why dont you shut up or put up. You have been ranting on for ages in here repeating your self over and over, you have been showing numbers by 2 users, you have been proving wrong a number of times. So if you think you are right, SHOW YOUR NUMBERS, if you cant do that shut up and l;eave the thread as you are adding nothing to it. Hell if i was a mod id give you a warning for clear trolling of a topic.....

Go to amazon.com and you can see that MW2, 3 and BO are more expensive then Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

Also, you have only shown gross profits, which are completely useless. We need to know net profit to assess the value of profits. The level of financial ignorance on this site is alarming. The fact you think gross profits prove I'm wrong shows you quoted a post you don't even understand. The only post that is of zero value is yours, unless you wanted to demonstrate how little you know of economics. 

I have been clear and concise every time I have made my points, with people thinking that half-baked and incorrect rebutals are of some value. I'm trolling in your eyes because I know the difference between gross and net profit? Keep at it bud. 

And the fact you are asking me to go to amazon to check the prices of games to try prove your point shows just how much you are grasping at straws.

How you find it so hard to understand that Halo makes MS more Money then COD shows you don't know much of anything, as you are trying to make and prove a point out of tin air without anything to back up your claims other then "Check Amazon" good one.

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334946895&sr=8-1 
http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1_title_0?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1334946931&sr=1-1 

Black Ops = $39.99
MW 3 = $39.99

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1334947024&sr=1-1 
http://www.amazon.com/Halo-3-ODST-Xbox-360/dp/B001HWB68K/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1334946997&sr=1-1

Halo Reach = $26.38
Halo ODST = $19.55

Because you couldn't do that yourself why? And how exactly is showing the market value of the games that we are dicussing clutching at straws? 

Mazty, unless you've actually ran the figures then be quiet.

'It's no surprise that MS have lost money on the Xbox this far into its lifespan. I'm amazed that loses haven't been more prevalent given the above.'

The 360 has turned a profit, I have all the data going back to when released. It's ahead of the PS3 (fact) and will overtake the Wii in the UK and US) that shoots down your first dig, the hardware problems are history now, marketshare has grown.

They're right when they call you out for trolling.

Seece said:

'It's no surprise that MS have lost money on the Xbox this far into its lifespan. I'm amazed that loses haven't been more prevalent given the above.'

The 360 has turned a profit, I have all the data going back to when released. It's ahead of the PS3 (fact) and will overtake the Wii in the UK and US) that shoots down your first dig, the hardware problems are history now, marketshare has grown.

Gross profit or net profit?
How the hell is it trolling when so far the former has only been shown? It's a piss poor show by site staff to show such bias and ignorance to financial information when claims that gross profit somehow shows a product is an outright success, not to mention a complete lack of foresight and financial understanding. Like I've said before, how exactly will Durango deal with a next gen media format? Will the failed gamble on HDDVD causes problems for the next installment? A success is a success not just in the present, but from start to finish including any future repercussions. 

Mazty said:
Seece said:

Gross profit or net profit?
How the hell is it trolling when so far the former has only been shown? It's a piss poor show by site staff to show such bias and ignorance to financial information when claims that gross profit somehow shows a product is an outright success, not to mention a complete lack of foresight and financial understanding. Like I've said before, how exactly will Durango deal with a next gen media format? Will the failed gamble on HDDVD causes problems for the next installment? A success is a success not just in the present, but from start to finish including any future repercussions. 

We'll go on what data we have, it seems you don't have any, so what are you chirping about?

When all is said and done the 360 will have made a healthy profit no matter what way you want to spin it, it'll have nearly quadrupled userbase size over the previous gen ect ect. you're clutching at straws and your first post made it pretty obvious, you're here for no good reason.