By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Edge: Microsoft's Xbox division loses $229 million

Barozi said:
It was getting tiresome so I just did what zero told me to.

Bottom line. Even if it is gross profit or not, you should be able to tell when something makes tons of money or not. We're not talking about tiny amounts here and I don't care if the real profit is $100m lower than what I said or not, because it simply doesn't make any meaningful difference.

Durango can't use Blu-ray ? Another weird claim of yours. Of course it could.

In your free time look up the profits the 360 made over the years and then come back and apologize.

Back and I don't think it's I who should apologise. Unless someone has found out the actual profits, not sales, of the xbox, it's not a point that can be debated; it's a mystery.

Durango could use bluray, but then again microsoft could donate all their profits to Apple...It would be incredibly embarrassing, as well as problematic, to be using the media format partially owned by the competition. It'd allow Sony to effectively make a profit from the next gen battle without even having to release a console. That doesn't sound like the best of ideas. 

Around the Network
Mazty said:
Barozi said:

Bottom line. Even if it is gross profit or not, you should be able to tell when something makes tons of money or not. We're not talking about tiny amounts here and I don't care if the real profit is $100m lower than what I said or not, because it simply doesn't make any meaningful difference.

In your free time look up the profits the 360 made over the years and then come back and apologize.

Back and I don't think it's I who should apologise. Unless someone has found out the actual profits, not sales, of the xbox, it's not a point that can be debated; it's a mystery.

Durango could use bluray, but then again microsoft could donate all their profits to Apple...It would be incredibly embarrassing, as well as problematic, to be using the media format partially owned by the competition. It'd allow Sony to effectively make a profit from the next gen battle without even having to release a console. That doesn't sound like the best of ideas.

So Sony makes PC's, let me ask you a question: What OS do they usually ship with? Who creates that OS? And who do you think they have to pay the royalties for that too? Simple factual answer you can not debate: Microsoft & Windows.

A fact: Sony is only a percentage of the Blu-Ray association.

Now stop your needless trolling while you're behind, no one cares, and you're only going to meet the ban hammer again.

Not surprising considering how bad the economy has been. They can bounce back before the holidays get here.

Millenium said:
Mazty said:
Barozi said:

So Sony makes PC's, let me ask you a question: What OS do they usually ship with? Who creates that OS? And who do you think they have to pay the royalties for that too? Simple factual answer you can not debate: Microsoft & Windows.

A fact: Sony is only a percentage of the Blu-Ray association.

Now stop your needless trolling while you're behind, no one cares, and you're only going to meet the ban hammer again.

MS Windows however are not the direct competition...
Profits from the Windows OS will , for the most part, not go towards funding the xbox, or in a good business structure they won't. Different divisions tend not to intergrate their revenue for good reason. With the same logic it could be said that MS don't make TV's, yet the 360 ships with a hdmi port ergo increasing the sales of Sony TV's. Again, it comes down to different departments. It's in this way that Apple can take Samsung to court, and vice versa, even though Samsung supply Apple with components - two different hands that do not speak to each other. It's standard within companies of these sizes which makes me question the experience many a user of this fourm has with such companies.

Sony is only a % of the BRA, yes, but from what I have read they and only one other company own the machines that actually make the discs. In other words, MS would have to pay Sony for possibly every disc they sell. Imagine Sony making money from Halo, Gears of War etc...Ouch. I wouldn't be surprised if some games were DL only if MS opts for bluray just so they can side-step Sony. 

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/18/singulus-blu-ray-markets-equity-cx_po_0218markets07.html

Ok I think the loses can be attributed to the new xbox being built and payed for. do any of you think this is the case