By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Results FY2012 Qtr3. 1.4m shipped (67.2m)

thismeintiel said:
ZaneWane said:
selnor said:
ROFL. M$ did win 2011. LOL.

correct

Incorrect. I would use math and charts to prove my point, but I doubt it would do any good, as you wouldn't listen.  Just don't be surprised when VGC doesn't drastically alter its 2011 sales numbers.

Really? Before 360 and PS3 more or less had the same amount of stock on shelves after christmas (last I checked) If Sony ship the 2m they expect that leaves 700k on shelves, that's a 1.2m gap between 360 and PS3's on shelves. I can't see us being that majorly off this years sales.

Around the Network

math?

more like standpoint

Seece said:
thismeintiel said:
ZaneWane said:
selnor said:

correct

Incorrect. I would use math and charts to prove my point, but I doubt it would do any good, as you wouldn't listen.  Just don't be surprised when VGC doesn't drastically alter its 2011 sales numbers.

Really? Before 360 and PS3 more or less had the same amount of stock on shelves after christmas (last I checked) If Sony ship the 2m they expect that leaves 700k on shelves, that's a 1.2m gap between 360 and PS3's on shelves. I can't see us being that majorly off this years sales.

The fact remains we already got the 2011 charts from Nintendo's last quarterly report.  It showed that the PS3 and 360 were pretty much even in combined sales across the US, EU, and Japan.  We have little info about the territories outside those regions, however we do know they don't make up a huge amount of the gaming market and that the PS3 normally does better overall in them.  The only other info we got was from Australia, a decent sized region, that the PS3 was outselling the 360 by a good margin when the pricecut hit and was the #1 console in AUS for 2011.

Of course, the easiest way to end the whole argument, if your open to reason, comes from the fact that MS had to ship more consoles in Q1 2011 because of shortages from the previous quarter.  Looking at previous shipments for that quarter, they had to ship an extra ~1-1.2 million units.  Now you look at their 2011 shipments (14.9M) and subtract those extra units.  Basically, if MS had been able to keep up with demand in 2010, their 2011 shipments would have been ~13.7-13.9 million to Sony's 14.1 million.  See how the argument would have no grounding if this is what had happened?  Of course, I expect that to be ignored again. 

As for this quarter's shipments, don't you think Star Wars Kinect has a little something to do with them having only slightly below their recent normal Q1 numbers (1.5M-1.7M)?  I do.  Without it, I would assume stores would have only ordered ~800K-1M units.  But since all those Star War Kinect Bundles went out all over the world at the end of March, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch that stores may have ordered an extra ~400K-600K.

thismeintiel said:
Seece said:
thismeintiel said:
ZaneWane said:
selnor said:

correct

The fact remains we already got the 2011 charts from Nintendo's last quarterly report.  It showed that the PS3 and 360 were pretty much even in combined sales across the US, EU, and Japan.  We have little info about the territories outside those regions, however we do know they don't make up a huge amount of the gaming market and that the PS3 normally does better overall in them.  The only other info we got was from Australia, a decent sized region, that the PS3 was outselling the 360 by a good margin when the pricecut hit and was the #1 console in AUS for 2011.

Of course, the easiest way to end the whole argument, if your open to reason, comes from the fact that MS had to ship more consoles in Q1 2011 because of shortages from the previous quarter.  Looking at previous shipments for that quarter, they had to ship an extra ~1-1.2 million units.  Now you look at their 2011 shipments (14.9M) and subtract those extra units.  Basically, if MS had been able to keep up with demand in 2010, their 2011 shipments would have been ~13.7-13.9 million to Sony's 14.1 million.  See how the argument would have no grounding if this is what had happened?  Of course, I expect that to be ignored again. 

As for this quarter's shipments, don't you think Star Wars Kinect has a little something to do with them having only slightly below their recent normal Q1 numbers (1.5M-1.7M)?  I do.  Without it, I would assume stores would have only ordered ~800K-1M units.  But since all those Star War Kinect Bundles went out all over the world at the end of March, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch that stores may have order an extra ~400K-600K.

The first part of your post doesn't mean anything if there really isn't 1.9m on shelves right now. As for Star Wars, A) we have no idea how many they shipped, B) if there wasn't a Star Wars bundle in the first place had they not sent out normal 360's.

I'm not saying 360 won, I think PS3 likely pipped it, I just think it's a lot closer now, because I don't buy there are 1.9m on shelves right now, way too high, and I don't think we're far off for Q1 this year.

Seece said:
thismeintiel said:

As for this quarter's shipments, don't you think Star Wars Kinect has a little something to do with them having only slightly below their recent normal Q1 numbers (1.5M-1.7M)?  I do.  Without it, I would assume stores would have only ordered ~800K-1M units.  But since all those Star War Kinect Bundles went out all over the world at the end of March, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch that stores may have order an extra ~400K-600K.

The first part of your post doesn't mean anything if there really isn't 1.9m on shelves right now. As for Star Wars, A) we have no idea how many they shipped, B) if there wasn't a Star Wars bundle in the first place had they not sent out normal 360's.

I'm not saying 360 won, I think PS3 likely pipped it, I just think it's a lot closer now, because I don't buy there are 1.9m on shelves right now, way too high, and I don't think we're far off for Q1 this year.

We may have the 360 slightly undertracked for this year.  We have the PS3 ahead by ~870K so far.  At this time last year, it was only ahead by ~640K.  Maybe the number is more in line with last year and we have the 360 undertracked by ~230K or so. 

The biggest factor I think, however, is Kinect Star Wars.  Like I said, without it I think stores would have only ordered ~800K-1M, which would have made there only ~1.3-1.5M on shelves, ~1M-1.2M if we have it undertracked.  It's a little high, but nothing too crazy.  Anyway, you have Kinect, which had another good holiday, and Star Wars, which is still a very popular franchise.  Both are mostly popular among kids and families, which the game is clearly marketed for.  MS is obviously pushing the game hard, as I don't think I've been through one commercial break on the more family oriented channels without seeing a commercial for it.  I think it's safe to assume stores felt it was going to be a huge deal.  Not only do you have bundles going out all over the world (while we don't have the exact number, it's safe to assume it's in the hundreds of thousands), but I'm sure stores may have ordered a few extra 360 SKUs, with and without Kinect, just incase the game did become a big seller.

Around the Network

See people call me a joke.

But no one can provide me any results on wii sales to date from a good source or even nintendo themselves

Like I said before I will believe the wii is 30+ million ahead when I see something substantial we all know

Xbox 360s and even Playstation 3s where is the wiis numbers directly from nintendo or another good source

I haven't seen something from Nintendo since 2008 ( I think) back when the were 35 million.

I remember nintendo coming out and saying they have sold 35 million wiis to date.

Since that time I haven't seen an official statement from nintendo about wii sales worldwide.

Once again instead of people taking me for a joke

Show me some hard facts on Nintendo Wii sales since launch

I am not trying to lash out at anyone, I just want some informations, so we can see where all the consoles are,

after all this is a sales website.

Someone anyone, show me some Wii hardware numbers from nintendo or another good source that is (not)

vgchartz.

I meant to say I am not lashing out at nintendo or the wii or nintendo fans

I just want some hard numbers from nintendo or another reputable source (not) vgchartz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#System_sales

Check the sales table, read the text and the Consolidated Financial Highlights (31 through 49) and come back and tell us VGC is alone in it's numbers/indicates it's really only ~15M ahead of the 360/PS3.

Jega said:
I meant to say I am not lashing out at nintendo or the wii or nintendo fans

I just want some hard numbers from nintendo or another reputable source (not) vgchartz.

Every quarter Nintendo show the worldwide numbers for us... wait some more weeks for the quarter results.

Jega said:
See people call me a joke.

But no one can provide me any results on wii sales to date from a good source or even nintendo themselves

Like I said before I will believe the wii is 30+ million ahead when I see something substantial we all know

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/25/nintendo-confirms-next-wii-in-2012-will-preview-it-at-e3/ 

This is dated a Year ago. Wii sales/shipments 1 Year ago were sitting at 86 Million.

If you want to do some real research, I'd go here - http://www.nintendo.com/corp/annual_report.jsp

Shipments as of December 31st 2011 were at just under 95 Million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#System_sales