By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Single Player Gaming is Superior to Online Gaming

I really enjoy both online and offline gaming. For me neither is superior to the other. I find every bit as much enjoyment in finally solving a difficult puzzle or beating a difficult level in a great platform game as I do racking up a ton of kills and leading my team to victory in an intense match of Halo multiplayer, or nailing someone with a red shell just before the finish line in an online Mario Kart race.

It's all loads of fun. Why does one have to be better than the other?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
I would say offline gaming on the whole is vastly superior to online gaming. The latter forces you to wait a lot and sometimes you just have bad luck and thus have to play with some idiots which is no fun.

That's why I prefer things that combine the two, like SSX. 

but.. I have no online friends...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I like online gaming better...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Yes, I wholly agree. Only people who have started gaming this gen will say otherwise. And more developers need to realize this. An amazing single player game will make profit. You don't need a completely irrelevant multiplayer to try and make up for losses.

Around the Network

idk i never played online till about 08-09ish i didnt have a ethernet connection prior

i knew that i wouldnt like it, i like to game myself and not have to worry about anyone else, i never knew it would be so competitive, i thought that i would be able to own in my favorite games boy i was wrong. the thing thats wrong nowadays is that devs are focusing on MP way more than ever before that im almost forced to game online, campaigns are easier then they used to be when i used to game on the nes and snes, AI hasnt advanced for some time now. a good example of this would be 09s uncharted 2, i loved DF on hard and crushing and the amount of enemies you encountered i thought that i would do repeat playthroughs of uncharted 2 but only did the amount required for platinum.

i spent around 600hrs on its MP mainly TDM i had more fun with its MP then i ever imagined i got to use all of uncharteds TPS shooter mechanics and need skill and strategies to become a better player something i couldnt do much in the SP b/c of how linear and scripted it was. so in some cases SP is superior but in some MP is b/c the challenge and thought process required, if a game has a challenging SP that requires you to repeatedly use all of the games functions and even other SP modes that were seeing now like survival and separate side missions then i usually dont uses its MP

I agree with you on a pretty high level, but Demon's/Dark Souls has demonstrated that an online experience can actually enhance a single player experience greatly!

Though as of recent I played Chrono Cross and I can easily say it holds up and it has one of the best single player experiences out there.

I like single-player gaming more than online gaming as well, but I won't say it's 'superior' since it's all subjective. I'm sure there are millions that disagree with me, that does not make their philosophy wrong though.

I never preferred online gaming over single player gaming, but my love for multiplayer gaming has reached an all-time low. My diminished love for online gaming could be attributed to 1.) reaction-based multiplayer games, and 2.) the realization that my enjoyment of an online game is almost completely dependent upon how well I perform.

Today's online games don't seem to require much thinking or skill from what I've seen. Take a game like Call of Duty for example. In essence, the gameplay consists of the player making reactions. That's how deep the game is. And the outcome of the game is mainly based on how fast & accurately you shoot. Just a frag fest.

Another thing that I hate in today's multiplayer games is the spontaneous spawning. With this used, a player can work really hard and progressed his way into the enemy's base (which is can be a very rewarding experience), only to be killed from the back by someone who just spawned. This promotes players to randomly run around the map in circles to avoid being caught from the back. This erases all reward for managing to fight your way into enemy territory. Games without spontaneous spawning are lot more enjoyable for me.

An ideal online game would be Socom PSP/PS2 imo. There was no spontaneous spawning, you successfully take a trail to the enemy's base without worry of being shot in the back. You knew that you did well by getting into the enemy's base (espescially if unnoticed) and then you could take them out. With a system like this, you know that if someone shot you in the back, it was because they skillfully maneuvered behind you, not because they spawned there.

I also moved away from online gaming because I've noticed that I only enjoy games when I win. It's a shame really. I can go from hating a game to loving it in a few hours if I start winning.

@ Pezus. I forgot to mention other genres. My problem with fighters, strategy games, sports games, racers, etc is that the fanbase for those games seems to be uber hardcore. Everyone I play in those games are ELITE. It's like I never get a chance to have fun. I guess I'm looking for something between the casual-ness of shooters and the hardcore-ness of the other genres.

I would say single-player is better than co-operative multi, and co-operative is better than competitive.

A good co-op campaign can be just as good as a good single-player campaign, but competitive campaigns don't even exist, so it's just a series of unconnected events where most of the time you do terribly. It's a very rarely competitive multiplayer segment that I like. Tribes Ascend is a good example.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective