By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Fire Emblem: Awakening thread- European DLC 16/5 out now!

Cold-Flipper said:

@nonane: I tried the demo and wasn't sure about it. I made a thread but was redirected to this one.

Makes sense. If you have any questions we'll be happy to answer, of course. I will say that Fire Emblem is traditionally a pretty "hardcore" title, but the main thing that made it so (permanent death for your characters) is entirely optional this go around, so Awakening is actually quite inviting. If you're at all into strategy games, pick this up. If the only reason you're interested though is because it was developed by Intelligent Systems, it might be best to pass; Intelligent Systems is a very large developer that makes very diverse games, and it's unlikely that there was much employee overlap between this game and the Paper Mario series.

Around the Network
Cold-Flipper said:
Conegamer said:
Cold-Flipper said:
I read the last few pages and...I'm so confused. Maybe this game isn't for me. So many characters with weird names and different abilities.

I wouldn't worry about it. I feel exactly the same, and I'm the one in control of the thread! I try to chime in where I can (obviously) but a lot of this talk is beyond my grasp until I get the game, sadly.

I certainly wouldn't be alienated by it, anyway. It may seem daunting, but actually digging into the meat of the game it all makes sense.

@nonane: I tried the demo and wasn't sure about it. I made a thread but was redirected to this one.

Wait, you don't even have the game? Have you played any FE? Why don't you have it yet because you seem interested a lot in it? It might be daunting for someone who plays games a lot but more casual style. It is made by the same developers who did the Paper Mario series though. I just don't know.

He Hasn't got the game yet because the game hasn't come out yet in Europe

TheKingofRedLions said:

Oh, I understand. Thanks for clearing that up. 

Cold-Flipper said:

TheKingofRedLions said:

Yeah, we pretty much still have another 2 months to wait until the game launches here o.O

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
Cold-Flipper said:

TheKingofRedLions said:

Yeah, we pretty much still have another 2 months to wait until the game launches here o.O

Punishment for getting Xenoblade & The Last Story early?

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Cold-Flipper said:

Makes sense. If you have any questions we'll be happy to answer, of course. I will say that Fire Emblem is traditionally a pretty "hardcore" title, but the main thing that made it so (permanent death for your characters) is entirely optional this go around, so Awakening is actually quite inviting. If you're at all into strategy games, pick this up. If the only reason you're interested though is because it was developed by Intelligent Systems, it might be best to pass; Intelligent Systems is a very large developer that makes very diverse games, and it's unlikely that there was much employee overlap between this game and the Paper Mario series.

If I played it I think I'd want my characters to be able to die. It adds something to the gameplay. I'm a big fan of both Pikmin & Paper Mario which are both kind of strategy. Pokemon used to be good but got a bit old for me. I'm hoping X/Y will draw me back in with the changes. I'm not only interested because of Intelligent Systems. When I played the demo I was impressed by the graphics, 3D, and story. I found the gameplay to be decent but was wondering If I'd find it too repetitive. Can you actually pick your attacks or do you just say "attack" and then watch it?

Cold-Flipper said:

If I played it I think I'd want my characters to be able to die. It adds something to the gameplay. I'm a big fan of both Pikmin & Paper Mario which are both kind of strategy. Pokemon used to be good but got a bit old for me. I'm hoping X/Y will draw me back in with the changes. I'm not only interested because of Intelligent Systems. When I played the demo I was impressed by the graphics, 3D, and story. I found the gameplay to be decent but was wondering If I'd find it too repetitive. Can you actually pick your attacks or do you just say "attack" and then watch it?

You choose which of the weapons the character has equipped to use before attacking (and keep in mind that the character will still have the weapon equipped on the enemies' turn, so they'll use that weapon to defend themselves as well). The strategy here comes in the fact that 1) most weapons have only a certain amount of uses in them before they break, 2) some weapons get bonuses against other weapons, e.g. a guy with a sword is more likely to hit a guy with an axe, but is less likely to hit a dude with a spear, 3) some weapons get special bonuses against certain unit types, e.g. the Beastkiller spear does triple damage against cavalry and pegasus units.

There's thus a lot of risk/reward and cost/benefit analysis going on throughout the game: you can use that awesome weapon now, or save it for a more desparate situation. You can use  your expensive and powerful sword here, but it'll cost more to replace. You can use the anti-wyvern sword to kill this unit instantly, and the first wyvern or two who will attack that character next turn, but if you keep killing all the enemies eventually your unit might get overwhelmed by the foes' sheer numbers.

noname2200 said:

You choose which of the weapons the character has equipped to use before attacking (and keep in mind that the character will still have the weapon equipped on the enemies' turn, so they'll use that weapon to defend themselves as well). The strategy here comes in the fact that 1) most weapons have only a certain amount of uses in them before they break, 2) some weapons get bonuses against other weapons, e.g. a guy with a sword is more likely to hit a guy with an axe, but is less likely to hit a dude with a spear, 3) some weapons get special bonuses against certain unit types, e.g. the Beastkiller spear does triple damage against cavalry and pegasus units.

There's thus a lot of risk/reward and cost/benefit analysis going on throughout the game: you can use that awesome weapon now, or save it for a more desparate situation. You can use  your expensive and powerful sword here, but it'll cost more to replace. You can use the anti-wyvern sword to kill this unit instantly, and the first wyvern or two who will attack that character next turn, but if you keep killing all the enemies eventually your unit might get overwhelmed by the foes' sheer numbers.

I don't understand the Bolded. 

I get the gist of your post though. It sounds much more strategic than Pikmin or Paper Mario. I'm still not quite sure. I want to try out new franchises but last time I did that I hated it. (Metroid with Prime 3) The demo got me interested but didn't pull me in enough to say "I need to buy this". Do you like the game a lot?

Cold-Flipper said:

I get the gist of your post though. It sounds much more strategic than Pikmin or Paper Mario. I'm still not quite sure. I want to try out new franchises but last time I did that I hated it. (Metroid with Prime 3) The demo got me interested but didn't pull me in enough to say "I need to buy this". Do you like the game a lot?

Regarding the bolded, some weapons have special effects against certain units. For example, Knights are slow-moving, heavily-armored units who normally shrug off physical attacks like swords, bows, etc., and ideally should be attacked with magic. However, there is a special type of axe called the Hammer. If your axe-user chooses to attack a Knight with an Iron Axe, he might do 4 HP worth of damage. If he uses a Steel Axe, that might increase to 5 HP. But if he uses a Hammer, he can do 20+ HP damage. But that only applies to Knights: any other unit will take the same amount of damage as it would if your unit attacked with a measly Iron Axe, even though the Hammer is much more rare and expensive than an Iron Axe; the Steel Axe would actually be both cheaper and stronger in most cases. If it helps, think of it in Pokemon terms: some attacks are Super Effective against certain foes, but they're limited in use and possibly weaker against other opponents.

For your question: I'm a really big fan. But to be fair, I like the series. Still, the consensus on the internet seems to be that people generally like the game, whether they've played the series before or not.

noname2200 said:
Cold-Flipper said:

Regarding the bolded, some weapons have special effects against certain units. For example, Knights are slow-moving, heavily-armored units who normally shrug off physical attacks like swords, bows, etc., and ideally should be attacked with magic. However, there is a special type of axe called the Hammer. If your axe-user chooses to attack a Knight with an Iron Axe, he might do 4 HP worth of damage. If he uses a Steel Axe, that might increase to 5 HP. But if he uses a Hammer, he can do 20+ HP damage. But that only applies to Knights: any other unit will take the same amount of damage as it would if your unit attacked with a measly Iron Axe, even though the Hammer is much more rare and expensive than an Iron Axe; the Steel Axe would actually be both cheaper and stronger in most cases. If it helps, think of it in Pokemon terms: some attacks are Super Effective against certain foes, but they're limited in use and possibly weaker against other opponents.

For your question: I'm a really big fan. But to be fair, I like the series. Still, the consensus on the internet seems to be that people generally like the game, whether they've played the series before or not.

Further illistrating the Hammer case.

Say you send in your berserker character with a Hammer to take down a knight, cause as you said it does insane damage.  Sounds like a brilliant plan in that you kill this heavily armored enemy easily.  But now its the enemies turn and they send 3-4 guys at your berserker.  Now you are stuck defending with a Hammer.  not that the weapon is weak, it will do the same if not slightly more damage than say your steel axe, but you are wasting the hammers uses on enemies that it's not very effective on.  You are using a 2,000 hammer when a 400 axe will do the same damage.  

The hammer also will only have like 25 uses versus and axes 45 uses.  So you have to think of not only what's effective at the moment, but what will be effective or wasted when the enemy gets their chance to go.  

It's times like this were you actually hope your berserker doesn't kill the enemy.  Cause if you do kill the enemy then that means the space is now free for anotehr enemy to come in and attack you, thus leading you to waste 4+ uses of you insanely expensive hammer on enemies that you could take out with a measly bronze axe.