By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - The King and Queen of Pop

Rath said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
SaviorX said:
Rath said:
Lady Gaga is the biggest win of style over substance in a long time. They created such a mass of marketing around her look, her name and her actions that people failed to realise that her songs were just pretty ordinary pop.

At least she's a hell of a lot better than Nikki Minaj though, that chick makes my ears bleed I swear.

Her and ol' Biebermiester are complete creations. Its like the labels came up with a prototypical popstar and out spawned Bieber/Gaga

There are literally teams of people out there writing, recording, mastering, mixing every word of every lyrics he's ever said. I'm not hating because hes a young male singer...I'm just embarrassed by the obvious.

while im trying not to feed you..

a bit of searching on Gagas past to when she was around 19 (years before being signed) she was down in Lower east side New york calling herself Lady Gaga performing the same way she does now. So explain how she is created? if she came to the label the same as she is now.. how did they create her?

Its so funny people run around calling Gaga manafactured when she clearly isnt.. thats why she got so famous in the first place because she wasnt a manafactured pop star. Katy Perry, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber are all creations from a record label, there wernt like this before they got famous. Infact the first 3 are proven to be creations by there label because as soo as Lady Gaga got so massive the labels dressed them differently! 

Lady Gaga wasn't Lady Gaga until she was picked up by the record labels. Her look and name were both picked as marketing gimicks. Female pop stars have been dressing strange at least since Gracie Jones and Madonna.

Here's a source, it's a tabloid I'm afraid.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/music/who_that_lady_CBlHI927dRlLmIwjVfGrwK/2

i have been a fan since early 2008, over a year before she got big even her name was known over here in the UK. i know who Gaga is. her name was decided between her and her old producer from 2006 (way before interscope picked her up). although yes great tabloid link.. LOL

Around the Network

the people calling her manufactured in this thread are hilarious, no matter how many god dam awful links you post it just shows how they know nothing. dear god.

PlaystaionGamer said:
the people calling her manufactured in this thread are hilarious, no matter how many god dam awful links you post it just shows how they know nothing. dear god.

Tell me about it, it's just as bad as people making Lady Gaga sound more amazing than she really is, no matter how many links they post.

I realize she's a decent artist but some hardcore fans take it too far and blow her way out of proportion, and if you don't call her "special" or "amazing" you get your head bitten off. >_>;;

Fans shouldn't take it too personally when they hear people say they dislike Lady Gaga, it's not like they wrote her music or designed her look for her.

Lady Gaga fans, honest question, I really need to clarify how you view the world:

Forget Madonna... Lady Gaga or Beatles?

leo-j said:
Runa216 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Not sure where you all put him in the genre category, but Eminem, if he can go for another 10 years and then once in a while after that has a chance of becoming the king. His music is poppy and catchy, so I will include him. Micheal J. does have his whole childhood worth of hits, but I think with some perseverance and hard work Eminem could pull it off. The only problem with his music is that it is not universally liked or enjoyed.

I also think that it is too early to tell with Ms. Gaga. Britney Spears on the other hand has been around for a while and does not seem to be going anywhere.

As it stands right now Madonna and MJ are still on the throne. But for how long?

King of Rap maybe, but I don't see him as a pop artist.  Not saying he's not good, but to me that'd be like saying Elvis is the king of pop, when he is the king of Rock. either way, I do think Eminem is kind of awesome.  

eminem is a pop musician, pop is defined by what's popular, QUEEN, METALLICA, MARLYNE MANSON where all pop too back in the day

Hell yeah... Korn was pop, Limp Bizkit was pop :)) My god LJ, do you even think before you read? At least learn the deffinition of a genre and then comment. Hell even WIkipedia makes a diffrence between Pop and Popular music And we all know how reliable that is :)). Admit it, LG is a talentless washout, but you are an easy to influence little preteen boy... dont be ashamed m8 :)) I used to listen to Britney SPears, then I grew a couple :))

OT: King: MJ, no question.

Queen: have no idea, there are plenty of singers who could fit here ;)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
VicViper said:

Lady Gaga fans, honest question, I really need to clarify how you view the world:

Now thats an epic question :)) * waits for LJ to open the gates of hell*

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Michael Jackson
Britney Spears

Michael Jackson = King of Pop
Elvis Presley = King of Rock

You can't really pick a Queen of pop because there is not really any standout singer. Michael Jackson and Elvis sold many times more than their competitors during their time. Madonna has not really dominated to that level in any period. Another reason you can't consider Madonna the Queen of Pop is because Celine Dion and Mariah Carey have sold more original LPs than Madonna has; much of Madonna's sales come by way of greatest hits albums and such, so she is more of a novelty act for middle aged people (like ACDC and Rolling Stones) than a pop Queen.

Another thing, Madonna was not seen to be the best singer of her time (not even top 10); Whitney Houston was the best singer of the 80's, whereas Michael Jackson was seen as the best male pop singer in his time; and Mariah Carey and Celine Dion in turn were also the best singers of their times; and Mariah's melismatic vocal innovations, as well as her compositional innovations are still used all throughout pop music today, Celine Dion is not a song writer like Mariah or Madonna, but she was bigger than both Madonna and Mariah ever were in the late 90's - having two back to back original LPs selling over 30 million, as well as the Titanic song (which was probably the biggest or second biggest movie song ever (I think Bryan Adams Robin Hood song was bigger according to charts, but I remember Celine Dion's being bigger, and the Titanic soundtrack certainly sold a lot more than the Robin Hood one). The thing is, there has been no female singer who has had the same sort of dominance that Michael Jackson or Elvis had, not even close.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

VicViper said:

John Lennon > Lady Gaga > The Beatles in talent and quality (not success) tbh.

The Beatles were just a Justin Bieber group back then, that was their success. AKA the backstreet boys, Boyz to men all that is sex appeal. In the 60s, adults were more gullible, today only teens and kids are in respect to music.

Freddie Mercury and Queens > Elvis Presely in my book, any day.  Bohemian rhapsody? The show must go on? We will rock you? We are the champions? Elvis' song stealing fat ass can go take a seat.

As for Whitney Huston and Madonna, Madonna's success was her sex appeal, she broke the boundries of what a recording artist could do. She brought sex into music. Whiteny Huston's perfect voice made her career, she doesn't have iconic songs like Madonna does. The average person can identify iconic songs that belong to Madonna like Like a Prayer and Ray of Light, Whitney's song is I will Alway Love you which is not hers. So I would say they are pretty even.

As for the present and future Artists, Lady Gaga is the obvious winner. All her albums have been nominated for the best prize in the music industry, Album of the Year at the Grammys. All of her songs are amazing when she plays them on her piano, she can sing, and gives us glam rock eye candy that reminds us of the days of David Bowie.

On MJ, I feel like people just push things too far with him, I personally do not like his voice. Frank Sinatra was popular in his days and very successful. We have Elton John, Bon Jovi, and John Lennon. Michael Buble is the new guy in town, but he puts me to sleep.

Zim; not a fan of walls of text... but I support you 100%. Lady Gaga is the epitome of a produced artist, something that might as well have come out of a factory.
Fact is that most popular artists are products of stylists, PR people, "song"writers, and producers, they are made for raking in cash off of audiences that are easily pleased and who like to spend money on fads and hits.

And that's perfectly fine by me, just don't come and embarass yourselves by claiming that this isn't what its like. It is. Pure and simple.