By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst: Activision will not be supporting WiiU , Konami avoiding it!

Could an Activision boycot screw Nintendo?

Yes 96 38.40%

No 153 61.20%

Total:249
Joelcool7 said:
Zarx I'm not 100% on the legality. But how would securing six major third party IP for a single year land Nintendo an anti competitive lawsuit? Hardware manufacturers have done this many times in the past not to the extent of 6 titles in one year. But in the past Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, Metal Gear Solid, GTA , Resident Evil all those franchises have been bought exclusively for a specific console.

It is not a new business practice and to my knowledge it isn't illegal. Nintendo wouldn't be preventing the companies from releasing games for other systems. Only securing the rights to six IP for one year. I can't see how it would be any different then what Microsoft and Sony have done consistently for a decade or more.

Publishers have a right to sell the exclusive rights of an IP to any buyer they want. It is their intellectual property and I do not see a suit arising as the action would not really be unfair or illegal. Combined Sony and MS secure at least six titles a year exclusively from third parties. Nintendo's only difference would be they would be targeting the big IP. Still nothing anti competitive about that. Competitive yes but to my knowledge not illegal!

buying up all the biggest multiplatform games is pretty clearly anticompetitive the EU have gone after MS for just including Internet explorer with their own OS. 1 or 2 games with some extra DLC etc isn't worth taking it to court but grabbing the lot would be especially if it was revealed to the public that they had payed to delay the games on other platforms.

Not that Nintendo could afford it/it be worth it we would be talking several billions. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

It should also be noted that Konami not bringing Pro Evo to the U using the benefits of the touchscreen would be a ridiculously stupid move when EA Sports are guaranteed to bring the FIFA franchise to the U. Although I would be sad to see the Wii SKU of Pro Evo with it's far superior pointer controls biting the dust. Pro Evo on the Wii is worth buying a Wii console for alone imo.

Even the ds had a cod game...HOW WEAK IS THE WII U lol...
Next we are gonna hear it's just 2 ducktapes stuck together

mike_intellivision said:

An Australian analyst based in Japan has inside knowledge on the plans of a company with HQ in the US and France, unlikely.

[...]

Lol, well said.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

It would be quite the scandal on Nintendo's part for Activision to boycott, though i suppose EA did it with the Dreamcast...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Seems pretty unlikely.

In fact I would be suprised if Black Ops 2 was not a WiiU ~launch game.

Joelcool7 said:

Well a popular analyst company in Japan has just downgrade Nintendo based on some major points. I will only post the link due to me being on a phone. According to the analyst the WiiU will not be superior to the 360 the hardware will be weaker then last generation hardware confirming the recent rumors well at least he says he's confirming them. But his biggest reason is he claims that Activision is boycotting the WiiU. Meaning no Activision games will appear on it, something that would contradict other rumors and hints. His firm goes on to claim that Konami is also going to avoid WiiU as much as possible. The firm believes Nintendo will have one year on the market before being slaughtered by its competitors. They claim Apples iOS devices will be more powerful then WiiU and with four screen they will make WiiU outdated. The analyst claims Nintendo's only chance at survival is to develop for iOS and Android devices.

http://www.gamekicker.com/gaming-news/analyst-%e2%80%9cno-activision-support-for-wii-u%e2%80%9d-nintendo-stock-downgraded

So what do you think is this analyst a nut job? Or might he actually know something we don't, I hate to fan the flames But this is the second guy well group of guys supporting the asinine claim that WiiU will actually be weaker then 360. He is going further by claiming no Activision support and Konami avoidance. If Activision chooses to forgo supporting WiiU as does Konami and WiiU is indeed inferior to 360 does this analyst have a point?

So basically NINTENDO IS TEH DOOMED!

In all seriousness, I HIGHLY doubt Wii U is weaker than the 360. If that is in fact the case, then Nintendo is MUCH cheaper than I originally thought, and I will not be buying a Wii U unless or until the price hits $150.

Metallicube, if its inferior powered to the 360 I will probably still purchase it but I will not be happy. The only reason I would buy it is for Nintendo's software. The hardware would absolutely have to retail at 199$ or cheaper 250$ would be a rip off. Nintendo would likely see some success the first winter but will have peaked by winter 2013 by winter 2014 by 2015 it will be off shelves or in bargain bins.

I cannot think of any innovation Nintendo could make so revolutionary that they could successfully maintain a console weaker then 360 for five years. Three year life cycle is being optimistic I'd project 20-30 million units life time sales within those three years. Nintendo wouldn't make enough money to maintain profits and their market share would have flat lined.

Even at the 2.5x power I suspect WiiU will have trouble in year four and by year five it will be dead. Nintendo is not designing hardware that could potentially go six to seven years if it was necessary. WiiU at current projections is simply a four year healthy life cycle. Nintendo will face all of the same problems that the original Wii did.

Now if Nintendo follows my best case scenerio the WiiU will be half the power or 65-75% the power of NextBox. It needs to be able to receive downgraded ports and a Unreal4 game won't be easily downgraded to play on a WiiU at 2.5x the power. If WiiU is powerful enough to run downgraded ports of any game released on NextBox then it can survive five years strong of course in six years WiiU at 75% the power of NextBox will begin to flat line and not last seven or so years. Of course however Nintendo never goes over 5-6 years life cycles anymore so they don't need 6-7 year hardware. But they do need a console that will still be selling well four years after launch and still on shelves in the fifth year. Three or fewer years would be suicide!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

I do think Activision is making games for WiiU but I also think their relationship will be anything but close due to EA helping Nintendo with their online.

I wouldn't care about hardware specs ,or 3rd party support for that matter, if only Nintendo had a broader collection of studios under their name. Last gen they were very active in this area: selling Rare, building up Retro, buying Monolith, and these decisions have positively affected their level of diversity this gen, but still I think this was their single biggest weakness with Wii, and as far as I know there have been no major acquisitions of this type in recent years (with the exception of NdCube, and frankly I don't consider them an important contribution to Nintendo in this respect).

Clearly they are working on growing the company, as can be seen in the construction of the new Kyoto building, and hopefully the move to new headquarters in Redmond in 2010, as well as the recent hiring of Hirokazu Yasuhara (a designer of the original Sonic games, and more recently Jak & Daxter and Uncharted) will signal a rebirth of NST as a leading developer, but still I fear this is too little, too late in terms of relevance to the western market.

Hopefully Iwata is at least making some of the rumored exclusivity deals with western devs with an eye on expansion and acquisition.

one thing I wasn't sure about when writing this: Project Sora. Are they owned by Nintendo or did Sakurai just make a short term deal for a few exclusives in exchange for putting up initial funding for the studio? (ala Sakaguchi/Mistwalker and Microsoft)

edit: Chrome to the rescue! found the original press release, and the english translation clearly states Nintendo owns a majority of the company. In that case I hope they build up Project Sora so that they release games more frequently, else it'll devolve into a Smash Bros. company very quickly.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club