By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst: Activision will not be supporting WiiU , Konami avoiding it!

Could an Activision boycot screw Nintendo?

Yes 96 38.40%

No 153 61.20%

Total:249
Viper1 said:
Scoobes said:
mike_intellivision said:

IndustryGamers, which is now part of GameIndustry.biz, has not exactly been a fan of the Wii over the years.

I think that Nintendo won this generation's sales title with a substantially lower-powered machine upset the apple cart of a lot of people, mostly those who saw Nintendo as a dying dinosaur rather than an innovative market leader.  Remember in 2006 a lot of these same analysts thought Nintendo should become a third-party developer.  Theses same people now see money in mobile.

There have even many places reporting this "news" with almost all comments being non-belief. Unfortunately, becau oth requirements to be in the business to even see comments on GameIndustry.biz, I cannot remrk on what has been said there.

Mike from Morgantown

If you want to see comments then just sign up as a student It's quite interesting to see what people in the business think.

I never really paid attention to IndustryGamers so I can't really say how bias they were.

I post on the comments section every day. 

I was going to ask you your username until I remembered that the site uses real names as it's also a networking site. Kinda interested to know what you've been commenting on . I take it you work in the industry then?

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Viper1 said:

I post on the comments section every day. 

I was going to ask you your username until I remembered that the site uses real names as it's also a networking site. Kinda interested to know what you've been commenting on . I take it you work in the industry then?

I'm in the media.   Probably won't take you long to figure out which posts are mine if you look at my post content here and post content there.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

good we need a daily dose of Do0m3D to survive until E3!

can't wait until tomorrow!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

HappySqurriel said:
spurgeonryan said:
Well Sal, casual games need to be there as well. Just not as much as the wii or as crappy ss the wii. Which is up to Nintendo to impose some quality control.

Forcing quality will never work ...

In my opinion, Nintendo's only real focus should be on rapidly building a large and diverse userbase.

If Nintendo can get a 10+ Million unit lead over the PS4 or the next XBox, most third party publishers will release their PS4/'XBox 720' games on the Wii U to minimize the risk. If Nintendo can then use this strong support to outsell their competition by 2 to 5 Million units per year for the next couple of years they can solidify strong third party support for the rest of the generation.

For the first year or 18 months Nintendo could (probably) help themselves by "money-hatting" a handful of games, but they should limit this behaviour to getting exclusive games that would certainly have a large impact. It may sound excessive but paying $25 to $50 Million to have the Free Radical team at Crytech produce a new Timesplitters game that would be published by Nintendo for the Wii U would be one of (about) a dozen sound investments Nintendo could make over the first 2 years of the Wii U's life to establish the console.

Yes and no. Hiring developers to bring franchises exclusively to WiiU would be very smart. But 50-mill for TimeSplitters would be one of the dumbest moves Nintendo could possibly make investment wise. The game has sales potential but not enough to even break even at that cost. Now lets say Nintendo spent 25-million the game would need to sell very well to make that money back. I doubt Nintendo would break even. Not to mention TimeSplitters is not a big enough IP to actually make a difference for most core gamers.

GTA would be worth 50+ mill but didn't Microsoft pay that just for the exclusive rights to the DLC for what six months. It would likely cost Nintendo 250-mill to secure GTA 6 as an exclusive title and I doubt that would see its return many would just wait for GTA7 others would just stick with 5. It might push 3-4 million units which would be amazing but not the 250-million Nintendo spent. Other titles like CoD would cost Nintendo just as much. Now I actually believe it would be smart for Nintendo to invest a billion USD getting the top six franchises exclusively on WiiU for 2013. The move would mean every third party hit gamers would be wanting on their NextBox and their PS4 would be on WiiU. No CoD, no Rockstar game Nintendo snaps up Battlefield4 every major hit here in NA and over seas in Japan. A massive attack on Microsoft and Sony right at launch. The exclusives would keep flowing for the year starting fall 2013 and ending fall 2014. Nintendo would secure a half dozen to dozen third party franchises for the first year of Sony's new console and likely now Microsoft's. MS and Sony would have to rely on new IP and first party IP to survive. But this move would cost Nintendo a pretty penny the billion dollar hit would not be fully recovered that year it would mean Nintendo takes another annual loss likely 200-mill. But Nintendo's console would have all of the third party hits on WiiU exclusively.

Now I think that is the more expensive and amazing plan I have two other investment plans. Nintendo helps publishers in insuring that their titles show up on WiiU. So give Rockstar 50-mill to bring GTA6 to WiiU and supply some exclusive content. This would be far cheaper then Nintendo buying the content exclusively but Nintendo would still have versions that appear inferior and Nintendo might not manage to push much hardware or software as consumers might opt for the better looking PS4 version

My better idea is for Nintendo to hire third parties to develop new IP. Nintendo fully finances CryTek to make a new IP for Nintendo. Same goes for David Mattes new studio and several other world class studios. Nintendo then takes any widely successful IP and moves them to an internal team or hires the developer to continue the franchise. This way Nintendo gets a new Gears of War for example as Microsoft did. Nintendo can hire almost any third party studio or publisher. If I had been Nintendo when Bungie's was looking to sell its new IP exclusively for ten years I would have likely bought the rights. That or Nintendo could invest the money in establishing new studios and make the new IP internally. Making the next Retro or the next EAD!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

David Jaffe not Mattes argggg!

-JC7

Around the Network

I can't believe people like this actually get paid to spout complete and utter nonsense. We know for a fact that the U is going to be more powerful than the PS3 and 360 for starters. And anyone thinking that Activision won't port the latest Call of Duty title to the U, considering how easy it is to port to and from the PS3 and 360, needs to lay off the drugs.

Ubisoft and EA are both going to strongly support the U and anyone thinking that Activision aren't going to do the same is indeed a nut job lol.

Joel, that is a fucking ridiculous plan. I'm confiscating your drugs.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Gnac which one? The one billion plan to Ger every major third party release in 2013 exclusively on WiiU to choke off PS4 and NextBox in their launch year? Its definitely an expensive plan and wouldn't see full return in the first year. But it would hit Microsoft and Sony where it hurts without those titles they would be in serious trouble.

The second plan to pay developers to port titles is the shiftiest plan of the three. Just having the titles on the WiiU wouldn't guarantee any success many core gamers would simply buy the much prettier version on PS4/NextBox. But if Nintendo hired studios to make new exclusive IP Nintendo could wind up with a Gears of War or two which would greatly benefit Nintendo.

-JC7

Joelcool7 said:
HappySqurriel said:
spurgeonryan said:
Well Sal, casual games need to be there as well. Just not as much as the wii or as crappy ss the wii. Which is up to Nintendo to impose some quality control.

Forcing quality will never work ...

In my opinion, Nintendo's only real focus should be on rapidly building a large and diverse userbase.

If Nintendo can get a 10+ Million unit lead over the PS4 or the next XBox, most third party publishers will release their PS4/'XBox 720' games on the Wii U to minimize the risk. If Nintendo can then use this strong support to outsell their competition by 2 to 5 Million units per year for the next couple of years they can solidify strong third party support for the rest of the generation.

For the first year or 18 months Nintendo could (probably) help themselves by "money-hatting" a handful of games, but they should limit this behaviour to getting exclusive games that would certainly have a large impact. It may sound excessive but paying $25 to $50 Million to have the Free Radical team at Crytech produce a new Timesplitters game that would be published by Nintendo for the Wii U would be one of (about) a dozen sound investments Nintendo could make over the first 2 years of the Wii U's life to establish the console.

Yes and no. Hiring developers to bring franchises exclusively to WiiU would be very smart. But 50-mill for TimeSplitters would be one of the dumbest moves Nintendo could possibly make investment wise. The game has sales potential but not enough to even break even at that cost. Now lets say Nintendo spent 25-million the game would need to sell very well to make that money back. I doubt Nintendo would break even. Not to mention TimeSplitters is not a big enough IP to actually make a difference for most core gamers.

GTA would be worth 50+ mill but didn't Microsoft pay that just for the exclusive rights to the DLC for what six months. It would likely cost Nintendo 250-mill to secure GTA 6 as an exclusive title and I doubt that would see its return many would just wait for GTA7 others would just stick with 5. It might push 3-4 million units which would be amazing but not the 250-million Nintendo spent. Other titles like CoD would cost Nintendo just as much. Now I actually believe it would be smart for Nintendo to invest a billion USD getting the top six franchises exclusively on WiiU for 2013. The move would mean every third party hit gamers would be wanting on their NextBox and their PS4 would be on WiiU. No CoD, no Rockstar game Nintendo snaps up Battlefield4 every major hit here in NA and over seas in Japan. A massive attack on Microsoft and Sony right at launch. The exclusives would keep flowing for the year starting fall 2013 and ending fall 2014. Nintendo would secure a half dozen to dozen third party franchises for the first year of Sony's new console and likely now Microsoft's. MS and Sony would have to rely on new IP and first party IP to survive. But this move would cost Nintendo a pretty penny the billion dollar hit would not be fully recovered that year it would mean Nintendo takes another annual loss likely 200-mill. But Nintendo's console would have all of the third party hits on WiiU exclusively.

Now I think that is the more expensive and amazing plan I have two other investment plans. Nintendo helps publishers in insuring that their titles show up on WiiU. So give Rockstar 50-mill to bring GTA6 to WiiU and supply some exclusive content. This would be far cheaper then Nintendo buying the content exclusively but Nintendo would still have versions that appear inferior and Nintendo might not manage to push much hardware or software as consumers might opt for the better looking PS4 version

My better idea is for Nintendo to hire third parties to develop new IP. Nintendo fully finances CryTek to make a new IP for Nintendo. Same goes for David Mattes new studio and several other world class studios. Nintendo then takes any widely successful IP and moves them to an internal team or hires the developer to continue the franchise. This way Nintendo gets a new Gears of War for example as Microsoft did. Nintendo can hire almost any third party studio or publisher. If I had been Nintendo when Bungie's was looking to sell its new IP exclusively for ten years I would have likely bought the rights. That or Nintendo could invest the money in establishing new studios and make the new IP internally. Making the next Retro or the next EAD!

$50 Million would easily be covered by a game like Timesplitters if Nintendo is paying to have in developed so they could publish it ... At $30 to $40 per copy sold in licensing fees and revenue a game doesn't have to sell all that well to cover a $100 Million investment (development costs + marketing). Beyond that, even the losses from these kinds of investments can be considered a form of marketing investment.

Now, if Nintendo is paying to have a game published by another company it would make sense to handle things differently. Most likely, lend a lesser used Nintendo IP (F-Zero) to another publisher, and bookmark $10 to $20 Million in marketing for each game upon release.

Ultimately, it would be better for Nintendo to publish the game because they would have more control over the quality ...

The only reason I can see Activision boycotting Wii U would be if Origin becomes the consoles online service.