By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Xenoblade thread- Opinions, thoughts and questions inside! Can it hit 1mil in sales next year? Sequel coming for Wii U???

What is the best 'major' area in the game?

Colony 9 39 12.34%

Bionis' Leg 83 26.27%

The Marsh 20 6.33%

The Forest 17 5.38%

The Sea 24 7.59%

The Mountain 13 4.11%

The Valley 5 1.58%

Fallen Arm 22 6.96%

The Field of Metal 9 2.85%

See results! 73 23.10%

Total:305
ookaze said:
Conegamer said:

Whilst true that Reyn is not 'useless', he is definitely the least useful character in the game. If we look at the other characters (there are spoilers here!):

Shulk- All-rounder (Monado, healing, bonus damage)

Sharla- Healer, support

Dunban- Dodge tank, toppler, aggro drawer

Melia- Magic user, support character, toppler (starlight kick)

Riki- Health tank, DPS user, party gauge builder, support healer

Fiora- Any of the above tanks depending on equipment, DPS dealer, attacker

That leaves us with Reyn. And what role does Reyn fill? Sure, he's a useful damage-dealer, but  Dunban, Riki or 7 arguably do a better job at it. If you use Reyn, you NEED to use Sharla, because of very poor defence for a tank. His Arts are mainly attack-orientated, and aside from being able to topple (which other characters can do as well), he has no real use. 

I agree that the equipment, gems, affinity links, Arts etc. are useful in order to produce different playstyles for the game characters, each character is designed to fill a specific role. You'd struggle to get through all the bosses without a tank, a DPS, a healer or an all-rounder, depending on your playstyles. Saying characters DON'T have a special role to fill is simply false. They do, and whilst it isn't as evident as in other games, fact is they still exsist. And Reyn, sadly, just didn't cut it for me, namely because of his lack of defence, his lack of speed and his attack-only orientation. Yes, Reyn's spike is nice, but any character can gain Spike by equipping them with the gen anyway...

Personal preference of course, but Reyn just lacks something, and doesn't suit my playstyle.

That's it, he doesn't suit your playstyle, that's what I said.

Reyn is based on defense and aggro, and he's the best for that. He has the best defense and the second highest hit points.

Despite his slightly higher HP, R will go down fast. And no other character can do mass crontrol like Reyn.

He can attract every single enemy on his spikes which will kill them all just by doing aggro, letting the other characters do their thing.

If you've finished the game and have done the highest level area of the game (which happens to be the second area you see in the game), he's becoming very useful there. He's even the best character to put in position 2 for the most powerful quest UM in the game (so these UM appear once).

But you're right : no character is invaluable in the game, they can all be ditched for most of the game, including Shulk.

I suppose you're right. I used Dunban-Riki-Fiora for that area, at level 93, and managed just fine. The 7th character has a lot of defence, and Dunban is quick enough so that he never gets hit anyway. 

I've been trying to use Reyn a touch more this playthrough, but he still doesn't do it for me. But if you like him, then fine. Not criticising that choice, but if I had to recommend one player to drop, it would be he.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I gotta admit that this is my first time playing a JRPG - and I need help. I've played WRPG and never found them hard to handle... But reading all this you guys are posting just makes me realize how little I know in optimizing my characters! Could you perhaps help me out!? I'm just 6 hours in and only have Shulk and Reyn at the moment (I've entered the Tophra Cave and are making my way to Bionis' knee).

How should I costumize Shulk and Reyn??? THX!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
I gotta admit that this is my first time playing a JRPG - and I need help. I've played WRPG and never found them hard to handle... But reading all this you guys are posting just makes me realize how little I know in optimizing my characters! Could you perhaps help me out!? I'm just 6 hours in and only have Shulk and Reyn at the moment (I've entered the Tophra Cave and are making my way to Bionis' knee).

That early on, your options are far more limited than they will be in the future. The good news though is that optimization in this game can be done and undone at pretty much any point, so don't sweat maximizing your characters yet. Any gem, armor, skill link, etc. you put on your character can be changed at the drop of a hat if you want.

The ONLY things you should pay attention to right now is which skill(s) a character has that you want to get sooner rather than later (you'll eventually get them all), and more importantly affinity between your party members, as that permits greater skill linking/chain attacks (and can take quite a while to build up to max!)

DanneSandin said:

I played over 25 hours until I knew how to link chracters. And optimizing the chracters is overrated, give  frequently new Armor and Weapons except shulk, and fight frequently and you´ll be just fine.

ookaze said:
Conegamer said:

I disagree. Reyn is absolutely useless now you have the other party members. He has no defence, no speed, no strength (even Riki is stronger, and he has far superior Arts), his Arts are pathetic etc. ALL characters outclass him in every way. Believe me, you want him out. Dunban or Riki make far superior tanks, and Melia and Shulk are far superior damage dealers.

Also, Sharla can't chain well at all. She only has healing Arts, and her strength+ Defence are pathetic. Also, the cooldown is too long, and the AI may heal/protect you at the wrong time, so it's best if you play with her, but if you do, you deal little damage. She's a good healer, but I'd try with other characters. Riki and Shulk have good healing spells for emergenices, for example.

I'd recommend Riki/Dunban/Melia at this stage of the game. Best to control Melia, because Riki's and Dunban's AI are very good. Shulk isn't needed here. Use this time to experiment with other characters, and choose your favourite fighting style for the second, more difficult half of the game.

This is just plain false. Reyn sure enough is not a useless character.

You'd better say that you don't know how to use him, which would be more correct. For one, he has the best defence of all characters.

Each character can be maxed out and be a beast in various ways. Of course, when you get everything from every characters, there are powerful combinations. The key is to put the right gems on characters depending on the situation, or have a good default set.

With what they call Spikes in english version of the game, Reyn is just a killing machine on most enemy groups, and he doesn't even need to deal damage on its own. He can even get back life when he is dealt damage, and when an aura is active.

Every character is useful in Xenoblade, and depending on your style, you'll prefer use some combinations more.

What actually counts strategically in Xenoblade, and what define how you play them is :

- The 3 characters in your party

- The order they have in the party

- The gems they have

- The affinity between characters

- The skills they have

- The armors they have

- The weapon the have

You think only of damage dealing with your weapon, so you can't ever figure out how great Reyn is. He's not just a tank like in MMORPG.

All these DPS, Tanks and other Healer are meaningless in Xenoblade. There are gems that allow you to heal while dealing damage, get back HP while putting out auras, get back HP with chain Attack and so on. You can make nearly every character into anything, but of course some will be better in some areas.

The same is true with Sharla. Actually, you just show that you don't know how to control the characters, like most people that think they mastered the combat system but are far from it. I never had any problem with Sharla controlled by the computer, but I actually played with every character to max out the relationships, changed the Arts to suit my playstyle, and know when to go encourage my characters, when to tell them to go near me and stop attacking or go all out, when to prioritize maximizing aggro, when to prioritize tension, ... If you master all of that, you can beat any ennemy in the game with any combination of characters (yes, even the 120 level beast). If you don't, you'll be stuck with a few combinations that work better than others, and won't be able to do anything with the others.

But it doesn't mean the other characters are useless.

Reyne is maybe even the best Character in the game imo. Because of all the reasons you just gave us, and I have to say that I never had a problem with any opponent when I had Reyne in my Team, and he´s not just usefull i pulling attention but in chain attacks as well. When the opponent is knocked down he has this ver powerful atack I don´t know how it´s called on english I mean this red Sword icon, and he has a yellow attack as well. Reyne is like Grunt of Xenoblade I just feal safer with him in my team. The only really useless character is this new girl I tried to fight with her against some stronger enemies and failed.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:
ookaze said:
Conegamer said:

I disagree. Reyn is absolutely useless now you have the other party members. He has no defence, no speed, no strength (even Riki is stronger, and he has far superior Arts), his Arts are pathetic etc. ALL characters outclass him in every way. Believe me, you want him out. Dunban or Riki make far superior tanks, and Melia and Shulk are far superior damage dealers.

Also, Sharla can't chain well at all. She only has healing Arts, and her strength+ Defence are pathetic. Also, the cooldown is too long, and the AI may heal/protect you at the wrong time, so it's best if you play with her, but if you do, you deal little damage. She's a good healer, but I'd try with other characters. Riki and Shulk have good healing spells for emergenices, for example.

I'd recommend Riki/Dunban/Melia at this stage of the game. Best to control Melia, because Riki's and Dunban's AI are very good. Shulk isn't needed here. Use this time to experiment with other characters, and choose your favourite fighting style for the second, more difficult half of the game.

This is just plain false. Reyn sure enough is not a useless character.

You'd better say that you don't know how to use him, which would be more correct. For one, he has the best defence of all characters.

Each character can be maxed out and be a beast in various ways. Of course, when you get everything from every characters, there are powerful combinations. The key is to put the right gems on characters depending on the situation, or have a good default set.

With what they call Spikes in english version of the game, Reyn is just a killing machine on most enemy groups, and he doesn't even need to deal damage on its own. He can even get back life when he is dealt damage, and when an aura is active.

Every character is useful in Xenoblade, and depending on your style, you'll prefer use some combinations more.

What actually counts strategically in Xenoblade, and what define how you play them is :

- The 3 characters in your party

- The order they have in the party

- The gems they have

- The affinity between characters

- The skills they have

- The armors they have

- The weapon the have

You think only of damage dealing with your weapon, so you can't ever figure out how great Reyn is. He's not just a tank like in MMORPG.

All these DPS, Tanks and other Healer are meaningless in Xenoblade. There are gems that allow you to heal while dealing damage, get back HP while putting out auras, get back HP with chain Attack and so on. You can make nearly every character into anything, but of course some will be better in some areas.

The same is true with Sharla. Actually, you just show that you don't know how to control the characters, like most people that think they mastered the combat system but are far from it. I never had any problem with Sharla controlled by the computer, but I actually played with every character to max out the relationships, changed the Arts to suit my playstyle, and know when to go encourage my characters, when to tell them to go near me and stop attacking or go all out, when to prioritize maximizing aggro, when to prioritize tension, ... If you master all of that, you can beat any ennemy in the game with any combination of characters (yes, even the 120 level beast). If you don't, you'll be stuck with a few combinations that work better than others, and won't be able to do anything with the others.

But it doesn't mean the other characters are useless.

Reyne is maybe even the best Character in the game imo. Because of all the reasons you just gave us, and I have to say that I never had a problem with any opponent when I had Reyne in my Team, and he´s not just usefull i pulling attention but in chain attacks as well. When the opponent is knocked down he has this ver powerful atack I don´t know how it´s called on english I mean this red Sword icon, and he has a yellow attack as well. Reyne is like Grunt of Xenoblade I just feal safer with him in my team. The only really useless character is this new girl I tried to fight with her against some stronger enemies and failed.

As far as I'm aware, you're in the Bionis' Head, which isn't even half way through...

The game is easy up until now. Reyn's usefulness drastically decreases in the next few areas as the game throws more enemies of a higher level with spikes etc. dealing heavy damage. 

Melia, and I'm tired of saying this, but she is quite easily amongst the best characters in the game, if you play as her. She can damage Mechon without Shulk, she can deal all sorts of damage (Burn, poison, health-drain etc) to the enemy, and can assist your team (ether, strength up, health recovery, agility up etc.) greatly. In addition, her ether is by far the highest of any character in the game, her ether defence is also the best, her HP, strength and defence are all reasonable as well, and she can easily topple enemies with Starlight Kick, without having to break. She can also chain the easiest of any character, as her Talent Art can be used at almost any time. 

Basically, she's an all-rounder, but excels in Magic attacks. Up until this point, that's not been of much importance, but if you abandon her now you'll find your passage through the rest of the game is much more difficult. Reyn, as a physical attacker, is useless against Ether-based units, like the cloud-balls, for example, and enemies with insane defence come around soon. Guess who's the only real character for those instances?

As I said, all characters strengths and weaknesses etc.

AndrewWK said:
DanneSandin said:

I played over 25 hours until I knew how to link chracters. And optimizing the chracters is overrated, give  frequently new Armor and Weapons except shulk, and fight frequently and you´ll be just fine.

As mentioned above, the fact you haven't finished the game is obvious here. Skill-linking is just as important, if not more so, than constantly improving weapons and armour. If so you can gain the upper-hand, such as Shulk's link to fill the Talent Gauge when there's a vision, or to gain Haste and Tension at the start of the fight, or to increase exp., hit chance and Gold when fighting in the day etc.

Skill links give you far greater oppurtunity than new weapons and armour, and if you 'ignore them' you'll come unstuck.

It's the reason why killing UM's is almost a neccessity, as you gain the ever-valuable affinity coin from it. 

Conegamer said:
AndrewWK said:
DanneSandin said:

As mentioned above, the fact you haven't finished the game is obvious here. Skill-linking is just as important, if not more so, than constantly improving weapons and armour. If so you can gain the upper-hand, such as Shulk's link to fill the Talent Gauge when there's a vision, or to gain Haste and Tension at the start of the fight, or to increase exp., hit chance and Gold when fighting in the day etc.

Skill links give you far greater oppurtunity than new weapons and armour, and if you 'ignore them' you'll come unstuck.

It's the reason why killing UM's is almost a neccessity, as you gain the ever-valuable affinity coin from it. 

I didn´t say that its unnecesary I only said that I didn´t knew how to do it, and still made it trough. Of course it´s important, to link squadmates together. You link people with one of the girls I don´t know which one, to react stronger on healing, if you link with shulk you have a 5% exp bonus. So yes I´am aware of the importance I just didn´t know how it´s done. Same is for Gem crafting, I crafted my first gem on saturday cause my bag was full.

thanks guys for your opinions! I do, how ever, have two more :P

What's skill linking?? Is that used in the chain attacks?
And should I be thinking about "tanks", "DPS" and that stuff?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
thanks guys for your opinions! I do, how ever, have two more :P

What's skill linking?? Is that used in the chain attacks?
And should I be thinking about "tanks", "DPS" and that stuff?

Skill linking is the method of linking together specific areas of different character's skill trees. 

You're aware each character has 3 skill trees, right? There's another 2 for each character, but they're avaliable in side-quests (and are actually the best). The 4th skill tree requires a quest-chain to be completed, and a specific affinity for each area. The 5th skill tree requires the 4th skill tree and the completion of the game up until a certain point. These extra skill trees are INCREDIBLY useful, but I'll save that for later. 

When you find a landmark, or finish a battle, you gain exp. (levelling), AP (Art levelling) and SP (Skills). After a certain amount of SP is received, denoted by a small yellow bar underneath the exp. bar on the battle screen, you'll gain a skill. Different characters have different skills, so Reyn is more attacking, Shulk is mainly Monado etc. 

When you reach a higher affinity between characters, you can skill-link, or 'create' your own skill tree from different characters. If their affinity (seen by clicking in the centre of the affinity tree) is yellow, you have 1 chance. Green, 2 different slots etc. You can link any unlocked skill from this character provided that the character has unlocked that skill, you have sufficent Affinity Coins (1 for each level and UM kill) and it's the same shape (circle, square etc, diamonds can never be linked). Then both characters will have that skill. So if you want all characters to wear heavy armour, you'll need to link it with Reyn's skill, for example. You can easily change linked skills by simply selecting them. 

As for the tanks, where are you in the story? If it's early on (before Makna) then I wouldn't worry, as you have too few characters to bother. ut if youre later than that point with 6 or more characters, then maybe you should think about it...