By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA defends itself against thousands of anti-gay letters

Tagged games:

Do you agree with EA on this?

Yes 39 34.82%

No 30 26.79%

It's sad that the "... 27 24.11%

See results 15 13.39%

Total:111
Sal.Paradise said:
Scoobes said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Hahaaaa.

The EA damage control is hilarious. We're supposed to think they're paragons of ethical practice because they've published a game with same-sex relationships?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_characters_in_video_games

I'm not even going to bother copy pasting, it would fill up the whole page and then some.

Those companies didn't get thousands of letters from homophobic nut-cases.

EA aren't paragons of ethical practice (there not even prentending to be really). They're just standing up for their developers creation and something that shouldn't even be an issue.

Got a source to go along with that, buddy? 

Funny thing is, Bioware under EA have already released games with homosexual and lesbian relationships, straange how their heroic defense against tyrannical homophobes and fundamentalists only pops up after a rash of bad press and criticism.

Did you read the original post?

The lack of information out there concerning the issue is quite telling. Very few games are quite so obvious about homosexuality too.

And this hasn't only just cropped out recently. This has been an on-going issue with Bioware games for a little while.

Around the Network

As long as they are not pushing sexuality on people but rather accomodating for others, I do not care.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

TwistedComplex said:
Scoobes said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Hahaaaa.

The EA damage control is hilarious. We're supposed to think they're paragons of ethical practice because they've published a game with same-sex relationships?

I'm not even going to bother copy pasting, it would fill up the whole page and then some.

EA aren't paragons of ethical practice (there not even prentending to be really). They're just standing up for their developers creation and something that shouldn't even be an issue.

Dude, give me a break.

This is PR 101

Yesterday they win Worst Company in America, and today they just happen to defend gay people. Gay people are Bioware and EAs scape goat.

I wouldn't be surprise, I wouldn't be FUCKING surprised if EA said the ballot was being stuffed by homophobes on the Consumerists website.

I didn't argue that (the timing/PR side), but this isn't the first time EA/Bioware have had homophobic trouble concerning their games and they're sticking to their guns. Even though this is PR, they're still in the right.

Scoobes said:

The lack of information out there concerning the issue is quite telling. Very few games are quite so obvious about homosexuality too.

And this hasn't only just cropped out recently. This has been an on-going issue with Bioware games for a little while.

I'm willing to bet a hundred god damn dollars that half the complaints were about HOW they implimented gay romance.

I don't care if a game has gay people, but the why they treat it, like it's some beautiful, special thing, is cringe worthy. It isn't special, it's just sex, like straight romance is.

Honestly, gay romance is the only thing that stands out about Bioware games, which is kind of sad, but they latch onto it regardless.

TwistedComplex said:
Scoobes said:

I'm willing to bet a hundred god damn dollars that half the complaints were about HOW they implimented gay romance.

I don't care if a game has gay people, but the why they treat it, like it's some beautiful, special thing, is cringe worthy. It isn't special, it's just sex, like straight romance is.

Honestly, gay romance is the only thing that stands out about Bioware games, which is kind of sad, but they latch onto it regardless.

Actually, I think this round of letters has cropped up because it wasn't in the original Star Wars: TOR. I believe it's being/been patched in because a number of players requested it. That and Star Wars has usually been child friendly and with the current state of Americas right politics, they feel it's an issue.

And to be honest, I haven't noticed any difference in the way the straight and gay relationships are handled in Bioware games.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
TwistedComplex said:
Scoobes said:

Actually, I think this round of letters has cropped up because it wasn't in the original Star Wars: TOR. I believe it's being/been patched in because a number of players requested it. That and Star Wars has usually been child friendly and with the current state of Americas right politics, they feel it's an issue.

And to be honest, I haven't noticed any difference in the way the straight and gay relationships are handled in Bioware games.

Did you play Dragon Age 2?

Remember how you would lose influence with Anders every time you didn't explicitly show intent to jump up his ass hole at the first chance?

TwistedComplex said:
Scoobes said:
TwistedComplex said:
Scoobes said:

Did you play Dragon Age 2?

Remember how you would lose influence with Anders every time you didn't explicitly show intent to jump up his ass hole at the first chance?

Errr, not really? I remember I rejected him initially then stayed on friendly terms before killing him for being an arsehole later in the game.

Isabella was far more memorable for me

Scoobes said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Scoobes said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Hahaaaa.

Got a source to go along with that, buddy? 

Funny thing is, Bioware under EA have already released games with homosexual and lesbian relationships, straange how their heroic defense against tyrannical homophobes and fundamentalists only pops up after a rash of bad press and criticism.

Uhuh, I did.

The Gay romance scenes are just like the ones in Dragon Age II. Topless men, bed talk, cuddling, kissing etc etc. 

And even in the original Dragon Age: "the player may choose a male or female character from the start of the game. The main character has an opportunity to have sexual encounters with one party member of the same sex. There are also opportunities to have sexual encounters with NPCs of the same gender throughout the game and notably within the first 30 minutes of game play."

Fable, 2001 (and all other Fables): allows the player character to flirt, marry, and/or have sex with NPC townspeople of the same sex. (In one quest) one option is to dress as a woman and have sex with the (male) owner when he's drunk.

Rockstar's game where you can play a schoolboy kissing other schoolboys:  Bully (Canis Canem Edit in Europe) features optional homosexual content. The game's central character Jimmy Hopkins can kiss various characters, male and female, in order to regain health.

These are all big name games from big name companies, including Bioware themselves. This is so obviously a PR move it's not even funny. 

" Of course, those of you reading this already know how ludicrous this is. The games are not for children,"

Neither is Call of Duty, yet millions still play the games.
With the increase of popularity of Mass Effect, children will be exposed to these themes. It could just be from a related Youtube video about Mass Effect.

I don't know about you guys, but I think 32% choosing "No" in the poll is a disgustingly high number.