By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA defends itself against thousands of anti-gay letters

Tagged games:

Do you agree with EA on this?

Yes 39 34.82%

No 30 26.79%

It's sad that the "... 27 24.11%

See results 15 13.39%

Total:111
axumblade said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I must say that I am physically stunned by this. I expected criticism towards homosexuals to some degree, but not thousands of letters!

This is a fucking tragedy.

The thing that bothers me about it is that most of those letters probably initiated thanks to a conversation like "Hey. This video game has gay sex in it. Video games are a form of entertainment for children. Our children are impressionable."

Completely agree. People like those (who are dangerously many) shouldn't even be allowed to raise children with their narrow-minded ideals. That might sound harsh, but I feel very sorry for all kids being raised by that kind of people and everyone who might be offended by these kids in the future......

It's an evil circle that needs to be broken, and games with this kind of open-minded content is a great step in the right direction.

Around the Network

I defend EA on this, but that doesn't excuse the fact that most of their games are crap,

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

And then there's the "EA has done shit before, so this is obviously an attempt to redeem some of that"-argument. That is just beyond ridiculous. Fact is EA was attacked by some "concerned" parents and homophobes among others, so they obviously had to defend their decision of allowing same-sex relationships.

EA deserve praise for this stance.

Give me a break with your apologetic bullshit.

Is'nt it funny how no one has ever had a shit storm about gay people in video games before ME3?

Ballad of Gay Tony

Dargun Age 2

The Witcher 2

The Elder Scrolls

The Sims

All those games and NO ONE gave a fuck, but all the sudden EA has to dawn the shining armor and nail themselves to a cross.

But who knows, maybe their fans DID complain about gay romance, but I guess that's EAs fault for targeting the Call of Duty audience, now isn't it?

TwistedComplex said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

And then there's the "EA has done shit before, so this is obviously an attempt to redeem some of that"-argument. That is just beyond ridiculous. Fact is EA was attacked by some "concerned" parents and homophobes among others, so they obviously had to defend their decision of allowing same-sex relationships.

Is'nt it funny how no one has ever had a shit storm about gay people in video games before ME3?

Ballad of Gay Tony

Dargun Age 2

The Witcher 2

The Elder Scrolls

The Sims

All those games and NO ONE gave a fuck, but all the sudden EA has to dawn the shining armor and nail themselves to a cross.

But who knows, maybe their fans DID complain about gay romance, but I guess that's EAs fault for targeting the Call of Duty audience, now isn't it?

Your point is that my post is bullshit and that EA might be the one to blame for all this?

Give me a break.

TwistedComplex said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Ballad of Gay Tony

Dargun Age 2

The Witcher 2

The Elder Scrolls

The Sims

This is as much to do with current politics in the US as with EAs timing. The shit-storm has always been present to varying degrees (just look at the Bioware forums on Dragon Age 2) but this is the first time I've heard of an anti-gay group actively targetting a games company (plus Lucasarts).

And it has less to do with Mass Effect 3 and more to do with Star Wars: The Old Republic (which is supposedly child friendly, although this shouldn't even be an issue either way as a) it's not child friendly and b) gay content isn't by default inappropriate). These groups are targetting EA because they claim gay groups "campaigned & coerced" EA to put gay content in Star Wars: TOR which they're currently doing via a patch. Games like Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 probably don't help matters though. 

@ bolded

How is that EAs fault? It should be a non-issue regardless of the audience.

Around the Network

Its sad to see how many people think they can tell others what to do with their life.

Life is not black and white. If you live it that way, you're living one pathetic little life.

VGKing said:
" Of course, those of you reading this already know how ludicrous this is. The games are not for children,"

Neither is Call of Duty, yet millions still play the games.
With the increase of popularity of Mass Effect, children will be exposed to these themes. It could just be from a related Youtube video about Mass Effect.

So the idea is that because you can't ban incompetent parenting you should ban all media with adult themes?

If parents are anti-gay and let their kids play these games then sucks for them, it's their own damned fault.