By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Sales. Week 13: March 26 - April 1

kowenicki said:
spurgeonryan said:
Anyone have any numbers on how the PS2 is doing in the West? I see what it is pushing out in Japan, but what about other areas? I think that Seece has some idea.

Would it be safe to double the Japan sales when thinking about the West? I do not see it too often new in department stores in America anymore, but I could not tell you how it is in Europe. Still , I see it occasionally in American stores from time to time.

Its replacement purchases, I think thats obvious,  the media create cumulative software sales confirm this.  A cult machine with a relatively massive install base will support replacement purchases for a while.  egarding the rest of the world..  I dont think you can get it anywhere in the UK, not sure about the rest of europe.

Media Create 2011 Top 500 Stats
Note: Format is [subject] - [sales] - [# of titles in Top 500]

Overall Software

1. PSP - 12,712,999 - 140
2. PS3 - 11,683,125 - 127
3. WII - 8,359,756 - 63
4. 3DS - 7,101,775 - 46
5. NDS - 6,343,976 - 90
6. 360 - 594,231 - 20
7. PSV - 418,972 - 10
8. PS2 - 121,409 - 4

lol MC tracks used game sales?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
logic56 said:

lol MC tracks used game sales?

yeah you're right... its all new sales to new consumers. 

that isn't what I said but whatever I guess...

spurgeonryan said:
How about...Europe and North America.

I just do not see where they are being sold at, so I will guess that any sales are still Mainly Japan and other areas. How about Europe?

PS2? It's availble to buy if you want.

Amazon US (when I checked it was #121 is sales rank - suprisingly high):

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-2-Console-Slim-Black/dp/B000TLU67W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333573920&sr=8-1

Amazon UK (only #601 we've obvioulsy moved on in UK):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-Slimline-Console-Black/dp/B00023HUMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333573827&sr=8-1

A lot of the sales will be replacement I suspect but some will be new.

Outside West I was in Saudi Arabia and the PS2 was being pushed in adverts and brochures I saw so I guess new sales are still coming from territories like that.

PS2 has such as huge install base it probably generates a decent global replacement sales figure every week while still adding new customers in more emerging markets.

Damn thing truly won't die - although arguably that's because none of the current consoles ever truly took it's place as "the one" to own on a global basis, although for a spell I guess the Wii came closest.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

VicViper said:

Ok, VgCharterz...

3DS is up
Vita is up

Everybody is happy, there! Let's not let this thread die!

Anyway:

Kid Icarus was almost sold out first week, but managed nice numbers this week, great!

The trinity doesn't need any commentaries, but... WOW!

Vita was saved for another week from the bad press... but maybe not, since the 9:1 3DS/Vita rate from last week became a perfect (and therefore more sensacionalist) 10:1 rate. It'll produce some doom articles here and there.

Kingdom Hearts did GREAT... on the hardware... and less than decent on software, bummer! I expected 350k. The only thing left to do is to hope for legs, but they probably won't happen.

Told ya!

http://vita.ign.com/articles/122/1222311p1.html

RolStoppable said:
VicViper said:

Told ya!

http://vita.ign.com/articles/122/1222311p1.html

Good for you.

I like the comments. Somebody says that the Vita needs a price cut, one of the responses is that Nintendo needs the Wii U to become a hit, otherwise they will become a software only company.

But anyway, the Vita doing so poor will draw away all the attention from lacking 3DS sales in America and Europe, so Nintendo is only doomed in the home console business for the time being.

I was so proud of me. Maybe I should quit predicting software sales and start predicting headlines! :P

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
VicViper said:

I was so proud of me. Maybe I should quit predicting software sales and start predicting headlines! :P

It's not really a doom article though. It's just reporting sales in Japan and calling poor Vita sales business as usual. In an actual doom article you can sense passion by the writer, but all I get from this one is "meh".

Go tell that to the users who posted comments, this kind of article always produce fanboy wars there.

Oh, wait, you're right, everything produce fanboy wars at IGN, so this is nothing special. But I predict a much more passionate Kotaku article tomorrow

Amazing 3DS once again! Eclipsing everything O_o

Look at those 3ds sales!!!! incredible. Happy to see the vita get a little boost too!

forest-spirit said:
 But why did the Wii go up?

Week by week fluctuation I'd say. Sub 10K weekly sales for Wii in Japan can hardly get any lower. It's like when 360 sells 900 one week and 1100 the next with nothing changing software-wise. Just natural fluctuation around the mean.

Vita will remain below PSP until Sony stop releasing the bread and butter stuff on PSP, and there's the eminently predictable 1st year price cut.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
forest-spirit said:
 But why did the Wii go up?

Week by week fluctuation I'd say. Sub 10K weekly sales for Wii in Japan can hardly get any lower. It's like when 360 sells 900 one week and 1100 the next with nothing changing software-wise. Just natural fluctuation around the mean.

Vita will remain below PSP until Sony stop releasing the bread and butter stuff on PSP, and there's the eminently predictable 1st year price cut.

FYI

There was an error when I posted the numbers.  The Wii was 14K before I corrected it. In case you didn't know.