By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now Wii U Is Less Powerful Than PS3/360? This Is Getting Stupid!

Roma said:
happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
I dont believe that WII U will be less powerful than PS360, but is it really a stretch to believe that WII U will actually on par or just bit more powerful than PS360?? This isnt about Ninty, MS or Sony, but Ninty did pretty much do that with the WII, and last time I checked the numbers putting out a system that was kind of weak on the hardware side actually worked for them. Just saying. I personally hop

I personally hope?

I'm interested to hear the rest!

He ran out of ink?

my bad, my bad, i accidentally hit the enter button and I didnt realize it, was in a rush.  I dont want Ninty to go the WIi route, is what i was going to say. I mean Wii route in terms of releasing a system that hardware is already really outdated when it comes to the other consoles. But I dont want them to go insane with power either, so it wont be 599 expensive either. I think having something that is like the difference between PS2 and Xbox will be fine.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Superman4 said:
spurgeonryan said:
I highly doubt that the Wii U will be less powerful than the 360/PS3. The Wii was already not horribly far behind them. So basically if this was true they would be saying that the wii U is just a little stronger than the 3DS. Sounds a bit rediculous to me. Probably a company making some shovelware for the Wii U so Nintendo gave them a Nintendo 64 kit to work with.

What? The Wii was so far behind technically it couldn't even make them out through the trail of dust they left it in. 480i/P is not even close to 720P/1080i/p. If it was even close, they would have done HD graphics. While I doubt the new Nintendo will be less than what is out today in terms of power, I doubt it will be much better. Nintendo likes it's profit margins much like Apple. They will keep the cost down as much as possible.

I think you need to be introduced to the Gamecube which was more powerful than the PS2, sold for $100 less, and Nintendo didn't come close to losing as much money on hardware as Sony did.

Are you talking about PS2 vs. GC or PS3? Because PS2 annihilated GC in both sales and profits

Player1x3 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Superman4 said:

What? The Wii was so far behind technically it couldn't even make them out through the trail of dust they left it in. 480i/P is not even close to 720P/1080i/p. If it was even close, they would have done HD graphics. While I doubt the new Nintendo will be less than what is out today in terms of power, I doubt it will be much better. Nintendo likes it's profit margins much like Apple. They will keep the cost down as much as possible.

I think you need to be introduced to the Gamecube which was more powerful than the PS2, sold for $100 less, and Nintendo didn't come close to losing as much money on hardware as Sony did.

Are you talking about PS2 vs. GC or PS3? Because PS2 annihilated GC in both sales and profits

That's not what he's saying.  He's pointing out that Sony sold the PS2 at a much bigger loss per unit, despite the fact that the Gamecube was more powerful and sold for $100 less.

Player1x3 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Superman4 said:
spurgeonryan said:
I highly doubt that the Wii U will be less powerful than the 360/PS3. The Wii was already not horribly far behind them. So basically if this was true they would be saying that the wii U is just a little stronger than the 3DS. Sounds a bit rediculous to me. Probably a company making some shovelware for the Wii U so Nintendo gave them a Nintendo 64 kit to work with.

And Nintendo did match Sony's game-division profits for the PS2 era, despite the fact that the PS2 outsold the GameCube and Game Boy Advance combined.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

HappySqurriel said:
theRepublic said:
Totaldemon said:
now i am thinking in a posible strategy from nintendo for the E3, they probably will never say the actual power of the wii u, they will show some good looking graphics at the e3 to make the people happy and thats all, even if its equal or worse than ps3/360 ( but i honestly think that it must be atleast "on par" )

I don't believe Nintendo has ever officially publicly revealed the specs of any of their consoles or handhelds.  We get general statements, but nothing very specific.  I don't expect that to change for the Wii U.

Nintendo was very open about the hardware of the Gamecube including in-depth discussions on the CPU and GPU;  and from what I recall they also were pretty detailed specs released about the Gameboy Advance.

I honestly don't remember how much information was released about the N64 ...

I seem to recall most of what we knew about the Gamecube coming from sources other than Nintendo.  I suppose I could be wrong though.

Still, I don't remember Nintendo ever going into great detail on the hardware powering the DS, Wii, or 3DS.  We have some specifics from third parties like this, but only generalities from Nintendo.  I would expect that to continue.

I think Nintendo has been more focused on just showing off the games, than getting into the technical details.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Mentioning an anonymous dev. doesn't bring a lot of credibility... I think we should just wait for E3 to know the truth from Ninty itself. It would be stupid to make it less powerful, as Sony and Microsoft could simply keep PS3 and 360 running for more years with both the price and technological advantage.

happydolphin said:
Viper1 said:

It's all streamed from the Wii U.  However, the 1 Wii U tablet per console thing is a financial decision, not technical.    Nintendo already stated the Wii U could stream to more than 1 tablet at a time.  But it's the costs to consumers for buying more than 1 tablet controller that is at the heart of their internal debate.

I rarely disagree with you, but I wouldn't completely make that assumption.
We know that the WiiU is limited in the main display if the padlet is being used for heavy graphical display. Multiply the padlet number by 2 and it could significantly affect performance, probably more than Nintendo is willing to bend to.

It's obviously all handled by the system, and games will take the resolution given the conditions of resource usage, but I'd bet that for technical reasons Nintendo preferred to avoid limiting graphics even further in the step-down scheme in a hypothetical case of 2 padlets, just my opinion.

Nintendo has already stated exactly what I just said.  They can support more tablets but simply don't want to put too much financial strain on consumers.   Don't forget how they are hyping up asynchronous multiplayer as well.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

A goldfish's memory only lasts a few seconds (or maybe minutes, I dunno), meaning people only cares about the most recent rumors that they can remember :D

Actually, their memory is normal for a fish.  If they only had a 5 minute memory (much less a few seconds), they'd not recognize what those funny looking flakes you just dumped into their fishbowl are nor race to the top of the fishbowl waiting for you to dump them in.

theRepublic said:

I don't believe Nintendo has ever officially publicly revealed the specs of any of their consoles or handhelds.  We get general statements, but nothing very specific.  I don't expect that to change for the Wii U.

Prior to the Wii, Nintendo released full detailed specs about their consoles and handhelds.  The WI was their first spec NDA'd console.

Player1x3 said:

PS2 annhilated it in sales but not profit.  The GC was actually a highly profitable console for such low sales (thanks to a high profit margin per unit) while the PS2 was sold at a loss for quite a while resulting in lower lifetime profits than had they sold it for profit from day 1.  It was, however, more profitable in the end thanks to a longer life cycle...but it didn't annihilate the GC in profits by any means.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

They be going cheap on us.

But nooooooooooo, they are still going to charge $50 for games!

Viper1 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

A goldfish's memory only lasts a few seconds (or maybe minutes, I dunno), meaning people only cares about the most recent rumors that they can remember :D

Actually, their memory is normal for a fish.  If they only had a 5 minute memory (much less a few seconds), they'd not recognize what those funny looking flakes you just dumped into their fishbowl are nor race to the top of the fishbowl waiting for you to dump them in.

Yeah, I forgot to add "or so they say" at the end :P, making my comment state false facts.

Viper, you said "Prior to the Wii, Nintendo released full detailed specs about their consoles and handhelds. The WI was their first spec NDA'd console."

Why do you suppose they took a different approach with the Wii?...so people wouldn´t keep speculating the power gap between the Wii and 360/PS3?