By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: PS4 to feature AMD GPU a gen ahead of nextbox

Lafiel said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Lafiel said:

funny, reading this I almost got the impression you didn't realize you could have just played without patching (not online though)

Wow, thats a lot of steps JUST to play a game.

as I said, he could have just selected "no" when asked to patch to play immediatly (or cancled the patching when he saw it was several GB)

Wanting to play in the best possible version shouldnt really take that much convinience. 

Yay!!!

Around the Network

zero129 said:
Scoobes said:
zero129 said:
VGKing said:
zero129 said:
VGKing said:
PakChiuCheng said:
I actually think this is a bad move for PS4.

Microsoft will force developers to create their multiplat games to be on par with the PS4 so the PS4's games graphics would be dumbed down to match Xbox Next's graphics.

Not really. What Microsoft demands is equal content, not equal graphics.
You can't really ask developers to not take advantage of a consoles power.....

Besides PS4 and 720 will both use AMD GPUs, they are only a generation apart. So the PS4 version of games wouldn't require too much effort to look better.

Please dont tell me you are buying into the "Generation" apart thing?? 6-7000 GFX cards are not a "Generation" apart.  Come on VGKing man, i thought you where smarter then that xD .

They ARE a generation apart. The 6xxx series is its own generation and the 7xxx is as well.
Graphics cards generations aren't as big a leap as console generations. 

With the way you are wording it, you make it sound like by having a 7xxx GPU  the PS4 GPU is going to be a generation ahard of the next xbox. What if the PS4 has a 7450 GPU, and the Nextbox has a 6850 GPU would you still think that GPU would be a generation ahard??, it might be newer but it sure is not a generation ahard.

He said graphics card generation.

Nowhere did he say the PS4 was going to be a console generation ahead.

Although if it was a 7450, it wouldn't actually be a graphics card generation ahead as it's not Graphics Core Next based. It's need to be 7750 or greater to be considerred a GPU generation ahead.

If you re-read my post you will see i also said GPU too. And he said "AMD GPUs, they are only a generation apart. So the PS4 version of games wouldn't require too much effort to look better." , So it goes back to my original  comment that just cos its a 7xxx GPU doesn't mean it will be a Generation ahard, as it could very well be a 7450 GPU, how is he to know???. And even if it was a 7750 it still wouldn't be a Generation ahard of a 6870 as the 6870 is still alot more powerfull.

I agree with the point you are trying to make. But it seems the problem is that people dont agree on the same terms:

Console Generation and

GPU Generation. 

Both are entirely different. One Console gen is 6 years. A GPU gen is 18 months. It says nothing about the graphics, if the PS4 has a next gen GPU. All it says that the architecture is more advanced (efficent) which may eventually give the PS4 an advantage for certain tasks. Or maybe just less power consumption. If the 720 has a 6870 Gpu it will be stronger then a PS4 with a 7750. But PS4 will still have a next generation Gpu compared to the 720.

Backwards compatability is nice, but I will still have a PS3 so not overly concerned with that.
Hopefully Sony saving $50 on BC will result in $50 of other hardware to make the PS4 stronger.
That would be a fair trade for me.

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Lafiel said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Lafiel said:

funny, reading this I almost got the impression you didn't realize you could have just played without patching (not online though)

as I said, he could have just selected "no" when asked to patch to play immediatly (or cancled the patching when he saw it was several GB)

Wanting to play in the best possible version shouldnt really take that much convinience. 

uhm... back when console games didn't have patches we all played with the version we bought and not "the best possible version"

Lafiel said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Lafiel said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Lafiel said:

uhm... back when console games didn't have patches we all played with the version we bought and not "the best possible version"

Yeah... back then.

Should have been a thing of the past and it shouldn't be happening to the current gen console. Particuarly the ps3. 

Yay!!!

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Scoobes said:
Viper1 said:

Scoobes said:

Are you talking about the console as a whole? PS3 released with a 380 Watt PSU:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_hardware

I know it did.  But that's not relevent to how much power the PS4 will operate under.  Just because you can include a 380 watt PSU does not mean it's OK to produce a console that consumes 350 watts of power. 

I will say it was rather odd of Sony to launch with a 380 watt PSU despite the console only consuming 180 watts because that's wasting efficiency.

Have you got a link for that 180 Watts? I'm a little shocked they'd bother with a 380 Watt PSU if it only needed 180.

About half way down under Form and Power Consumption.   It states 170 to 200 watts but I've talked and with people in the industry and read others that state 180.  I'll find other links later if need be but I'm short on time right now.

Thanks, I missed that on my first look.

Looks like the highest power draw (from the table) is 209 Watts during gameplay. That's still ridiculously low compared to the PSU. Wonder what they were thinking in that regard.

zero129 said:
Scoobes said:
zero129 said:
VGKing said:
zero129 said:
VGKing said:
PakChiuCheng said:
I actually think this is a bad move for PS4.

Microsoft will force developers to create their multiplat games to be on par with the PS4 so the PS4's games graphics would be dumbed down to match Xbox Next's graphics.

Not really. What Microsoft demands is equal content, not equal graphics.
You can't really ask developers to not take advantage of a consoles power.....

Besides PS4 and 720 will both use AMD GPUs, they are only a generation apart. So the PS4 version of games wouldn't require too much effort to look better.

Please dont tell me you are buying into the "Generation" apart thing?? 6-7000 GFX cards are not a "Generation" apart.  Come on VGKing man, i thought you where smarter then that xD .

They ARE a generation apart. The 6xxx series is its own generation and the 7xxx is as well.
Graphics cards generations aren't as big a leap as console generations. 

With the way you are wording it, you make it sound like by having a 7xxx GPU  the PS4 GPU is going to be a generation ahard of the next xbox. What if the PS4 has a 7450 GPU, and the Nextbox has a 6850 GPU would you still think that GPU would be a generation ahard??, it might be newer but it sure is not a generation ahard.

He said graphics card generation.

Nowhere did he say the PS4 was going to be a console generation ahead.

Although if it was a 7450, it wouldn't actually be a graphics card generation ahead as it's not Graphics Core Next based. It's need to be 7750 or greater to be considerred a GPU generation ahead.

If you re-read my post you will see i also said GPU too. And he said "AMD GPUs, they are only a generation apart. So the PS4 version of games wouldn't require too much effort to look better." , So it goes back to my original  comment that just cos its a 7xxx GPU doesn't mean it will be a Generation ahard, as it could very well be a 7450 GPU, how is he to know???. And even if it was a 7750 it still wouldn't be a Generation ahard of a 6870 as the 6870 is still alot more powerfull.

Technically, a 7750 is still a generation ahead of a 6870. Power isn't what distinguishes one GPU generation from another, it's the architectural differences and the addition of extra features in the GPU (which typically result in more power). Although this is becomming blurred when both NVidia and AMD release new graphics chips based on older, slightly evolved architectures. 

I assume VGKing meant it's the features of the GPU that would make "a game look better" without "too much effort". Even if a 6870 is more powerful, the architecture of a 7750 may mean effects like tesellation take less of a performance hit and the support for Partially Resident Textures would also benefit some games over the 6870.

Scoobes said:
Viper1 said:

About half way down under Form and Power Consumption.   It states 170 to 200 watts but I've talked and with people in the industry and read others that state 180.  I'll find other links later if need be but I'm short on time right now.

Thanks, I missed that on my first look.

Looks like the highest power draw (from the table) is 209 Watts during gameplay. That's still ridiculously low compared to the PSU. Wonder what they were thinking in that regard.

Couldn't tell you.  My guess is they wanted enough overhead to handle power spikes, maybe they got a really good deal from the PSU vendor for that model, they may hae planned the PS3 to do soemthing else that might have increased the power draw....who knows.  But it was certainly an odd move given how things turned out.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

VGKing said:
Mummelmann said:

I still remember a few choice words from console gamers that made me laugh last night. "PC gaming is so complicated and its nothing but patches and fixes and internet stuff going wrong. Consoles are easy, you pop in the game and play."

Well, I was going to play Gran Turismo 5 on my PS3 last night, I hadn't played it for several months. Here's what happened step-by step;

1: Start the game, it tells me of updates being required to start up. Fair enough, I'm used to that by now.

2: It actually starts downloading the updates, there are six of them and one of them is 1190MB... There are six updates... Six!

3: After about two hours the updates were downloaded and installed (I have a 25Mbit line so that's not an issue, PSN network seems awfully slow, my PC downloads and work go at about 3.1-3.2MB per second steadily).

4: Start the game; "Do you want to log into the PSN network?" Yes.

5: You can't you silly bitch, you need a system update.

6: FINE! Exit game, update system, new version found, downloading and installing.

7: 35 minutes later and its done.

8: Start the game. "Do you want to log into the PSN network?" Yes.

9: Too bad, your password is no longer valid after we fudged up the security last year. Go fix it.

10: Exit game, log onto PSN. "Enter new password." I do.

11: Confirm. You need to accept the terms of use again. Despite being the very same account and man. FINE DAMMIT! Accept!

12: You may now log in. Didn't I just log in when they made me sign the terms and showed me the login screen and I pressed "login"?!?!

13: No, log in again, it actually worked.

14: Start game and actually play.

15: Great times.

Add to the list; unfinished games that don't work at all (Skyrim), lousy ports and crossplatform development, steep pricing, poor online, horribly long development times, cancelled projects left and right, shitty action games and ruining of entire genres to please adolescent kids, expensive games and accessories and an interface that wants to make your hair gray and you have yourself a merry time indeed.

If next generation goes anything like this one, I might actually do something I have never done before; sit the entire console generation out and stick to PC only.

Whose fault is that?

If I were you I'd at least keep up with PS3 firmware updates. If you hear there is a new one then turn your PS3 on and download it.

I still can't belive you haven't been on your PS3 since the PSN hack. Wow. You are blaming your PS3 for you not updating it.....

Yes console gaming has taken a lot of the bad parts of PC gaming such as patches and updates. We know. We don't need any more like upgradable grahphics cards..that would be hell.

Stick to your PC gaming. I have no idea why someone like you is on VGChartz since we don't track PC game sales very well. It is console focused site.

Laziness affecting gamers these days really badly and yeah tapping and button mashing are thus becoming too much of an effort.

Viper1 said:
A high end GPU of today will not be in the PS4 of next year. A $500, 200 watt, 300 mm2 GPU is not going to happen.

If it is Northern Islands based, expect at best an HD 7770. The HD 7750 would be even more likely.

Wow, Northern Islands, since when did we see them entering into the business?