By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: PS4 to feature AMD GPU a gen ahead of nextbox

PakChiuCheng said:
I actually think this is a bad move for PS4.

Microsoft will force developers to create their multiplat games to be on par with the PS4 so the PS4's games graphics would be dumbed down to match Xbox Next's graphics.

Not really. What Microsoft demands is equal content, not equal graphics.
You can't really ask developers to not take advantage of a consoles power.....

Besides PS4 and 720 will both use AMD GPUs, they are only a generation apart. So the PS4 version of games wouldn't require too much effort to look better.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

I still remember a few choice words from console gamers that made me laugh last night. "PC gaming is so complicated and its nothing but patches and fixes and internet stuff going wrong. Consoles are easy, you pop in the game and play."

Well, I was going to play Gran Turismo 5 on my PS3 last night, I hadn't played it for several months. Here's what happened step-by step;

1: Start the game, it tells me of updates being required to start up. Fair enough, I'm used to that by now.

2: It actually starts downloading the updates, there are six of them and one of them is 1190MB... There are six updates... Six!

3: After about two hours the updates were downloaded and installed (I have a 25Mbit line so that's not an issue, PSN network seems awfully slow, my PC downloads and work go at about 3.1-3.2MB per second steadily).

4: Start the game; "Do you want to log into the PSN network?" Yes.

5: You can't you silly bitch, you need a system update.

6: FINE! Exit game, update system, new version found, downloading and installing.

7: 35 minutes later and its done.

8: Start the game. "Do you want to log into the PSN network?" Yes.

9: Too bad, your password is no longer valid after we fudged up the security last year. Go fix it.

10: Exit game, log onto PSN. "Enter new password." I do.

11: Confirm. You need to accept the terms of use again. Despite being the very same account and man. FINE DAMMIT! Accept!

12: You may now log in. Didn't I just log in when they made me sign the terms and showed me the login screen and I pressed "login"?!?!

13: No, log in again, it actually worked.

14: Start game and actually play.

15: Great times.

Add to the list; unfinished games that don't work at all (Skyrim), lousy ports and crossplatform development, steep pricing, poor online, horribly long development times, cancelled projects left and right, shitty action games and ruining of entire genres to please adolescent kids, expensive games and accessories and an interface that wants to make your hair gray and you have yourself a merry time indeed.

If next generation goes anything like this one, I might actually do something I have never done before; sit the entire console generation out and stick to PC only.

Whose fault is that?

If I were you I'd at least keep up with PS3 firmware updates. If you hear there is a new one then turn your PS3 on and download it.

I still can't belive you haven't been on your PS3 since the PSN hack. Wow. You are blaming your PS3 for you not updating it.....

Yes console gaming has taken a lot of the bad parts of PC gaming such as patches and updates. We know. We don't need any more like upgradable grahphics cards..that would be hell.

Stick to your PC gaming. I have no idea why someone like you is on VGChartz since we don't track PC game sales very well. It is console focused site.

amaral_slb said:

- People buy consoles over PCs because it is easier to do so, there is no need to update ram, GPUs, etc, people actually have to be informed about the machine, instead of just plug in and play like consoles. It has nothing to do with price believe me. If it was about price no one would be playing consoles regardless of console price, just the money that you save for games alone on the PC makes up for the best GPUs you have to get from time to time, so don´t come at me with this "at $600" people would buy PCs", because you know it is BS

To be fair... I built a Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4gb of ram and a Geforce 8800GT about 5 years ago.
All I have done to that system was kicked the Geforce 8800GT out and dropped in a Radeon 6950 2gb unlocked into a 6970, when I upgraded my main gaming PC to twin Radeon 7970 3gb cards.
I overclocked that Q6600 processor to 3.6ghz and I have been able to run every game at maximum quality settings. That's a 5 year old machine that makes the PS3 and Xbox 360 look like a Nintendo 64 in comparison. (And it still has a few years of life left in it!)
You don't have to spend thousands on a PC every 12 months to run everything, as long as you can handle a little overclocking and are willing to upgrade the graphics chip on the odd occassion... It can last you many many years.
Sure it won't hold a candle to my main rgaming PC, but as a secondary LAN rig, it's fine.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

KeptoKnight said:
What would you guys rather have?

More Power and NO Backwards compatibility?
or
20% Less power BUT with Backwards compatibility?

I pick more power and no b/c.

I already have a PS3 and I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. I regret getting rid of my Gamecube/N64/PS2. Never make that mistake ever again.

haxxiy said:
lol @ anyone who thinks we're going to see games @ 2160p and double lol to those mentioning the iPad 3 as an example ofwhy it should be possible. Get real and lern a bit of tech console kids, and be happy if developers even manage to get to 1080p and 30 fps next gen without screwing up, yes, even if there was your dream console with a Souhtern Islands GPU in the market.

PSN games like Journey can easily go up that high.

An iPad game can go that high, why can't a PSN game?

The real questions is how many 4K TVs will be on the market by 2014? Not many.

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
WiseOwl said:
It's crazy how people is talking PS4 and Sony is talking ten year life span.

It's how after 3 generations and 5 consoles people still think 10 years lifetime means there won't be successor before that time.

You must have not seen my past post.  You must live in the same house as the other two clowns cause you talk the same.

VGKing said:
disolitude said:
VGKing said:
disolitude said:

Here is a way for Microsoft and Sony to sell gazillion next gen consoles and come out at affordable price point and still satisfy the power/performance hungry users.

Launch Xbox 720/PS4 with lower tier hardware and 299 price point. All current gen and next gen games are compatible with it, with next gen games running 30 fps and 720p.

However allow enthusiasts to SLI/Crossfire 2 their consoles together for hefty performance boost. Making next gen games 1080p and up to 60 FPS with other goodies like dual screen support.

You want power, fork out 600 bucks and buy 2 consoles. Problem solved.

UGH. No. That whole point of a console is to avoid stuff like that. There's a reason PC gaming isn't mainstream..its too complicated and you never know if your computer is up to date and able to run that new game at good speeds.

There is nothing complicated about it.

Nintendo 64 had the RAM cart which you was essentially the same thing as did Sega Saturn. An add on which you connect to make existing games look better.

You know as a kid I did have that RAM thing. It came with the Donnkey Kong game right?
I never really knew what is was for.

Anyway the N64 was not the most successful of consoles. A lot of bad decisions made on with that console. The RAM thing is one of them.

It also hurt sales of games that required the RAM pack to play the games. 

Just compare games that didn't require the RAM to the latter that did:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time 7.60 million to Zelda: Majora's Mask 3.36 million.

GoldenEye 007 8.09 million vs Perfect Dark 2.52 million

There were other factors, but still, having to buy something extra to play a game contributed negatively with regards to sales.

VGKing said:
haxxiy said:
lol @ anyone who thinks we're going to see games @ 2160p and double lol to those mentioning the iPad 3 as an example ofwhy it should be possible. Get real and lern a bit of tech console kids, and be happy if developers even manage to get to 1080p and 30 fps next gen without screwing up, yes, even if there was your dream console with a Souhtern Islands GPU in the market.

I tend to think 4k is going to take a long time to take off. 

TV broadcasters aren't even using 1080p yet (720p most of the time). 

And I don't think people switch out 50-inch TV sets like a pair of jeans ... they want to get 4-5 years of use out of the sets they have now. 

It's also sorta like Super Audio CD and DVD Audio ... yes these are superior to CD audio is sound quality ... the question is does anyone but a small niche of audiophiles really given a crap about it? That could be the same thing with 2K/4K ... does it look so much better than a clean 1080p signal sitting 10 feet away on your couch for the average person to really even care? 

so sony drops BC, as predicted - the cell is dropped and dead, peace to its soul.
 and 4k? yeah, current-gen consoles also do 1080p, but the games are not rendered 1080p. the ps4 will definitely not render 4k, that's obvious. perhaps they build in an upscaler like onkyo does in its amps but no way this is going to be internally rendered.
i am curious of the things amd changes to build a powerful gaming package :)

VGKing said:
haxxiy said:

1. how do you think of journey rendered in 2160p? it is 4x the amount of performance required. not to mention you will need better textures etc.

2. ipad can what? you don't really think that the ipad internally renders at "retina"-res?

3. yes, how many 4k-displays... yet again, sony will try to push technology with its playstation :)