By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Proof users never ever read the topics

Tagged games:

1. This thread used to be the "Tablets will replace decicated Home Consoles" thread.

2. Read the bolded and underlined in the topic below.

3. Look at the following 60+ responses.

4. All of those were pre-April Fooled.

5. Hide in shame.

That is right, you are hearing it here first, in the following decade, tablets are going to grow considerably, while dedicated home consoles are going to face a pretty abrupt decline, almost getting to the realm of irrelevance.

It's no surprise that iPad and many other tablets are taking over the portable market, gathering the more casual audience, without ignoring the more core oriented gamers, the gaming library is expanding considerably and many well known developers like Capcom, Epic Games, Ubisoft, Square Enix among many others, are already giving the tablets support that even matches their games on the 360 or the PS3. In the sales front, consoles sell just passable, while tablets continue to sell in record speeds, what's more, they become more profitable every time, and are far more functional. Home consoles are looking to have a pretty grim future.

The upcoming WiiU is clearly trying to target that audience, without realizing that it's not the games but the wide multimedia support that makes the iPad such a wonderful choice for buyers. While games like Inifity Blade or Chaos Rings series are getting more relevant every time. It's just a matter of time until developers put their biggest games on the App Store, and with much better and afforidable price tags, people are easily going to pick those versions.

Another very big factor that will easily help the iPad's eventual overtaking of the home console market is the power and resolution that the small machine has. The iPad has a much higher resolution than most TVs, ever, and much higher than the one in Vita or 3DS, why would core gamers pick a inferior version of the same game? It's a terrible choice, and developers will also opt for the more profitable choice. Developers will clearly cut profit per sale, but increase the sales radically, Angry Birds Rio sold well over 10 million in it's first week on the market, and the series is now over 500 Million Lifetime, skyrocketing Rovio to success that even Nintendo can't dream of, no game will ever match Angry Bird's success, also, this thread was only to prove if people actually read the topics, if you are reading this, I didn't mean anything that I wrote here, congrats, you are one of the few people that reads the threads, you should be proud, and with that opportunity to grow considerably, I highly doubt anyone would want to go to the more risky and less profitable retail release, we all know many developers had to give up for lack of sales, while the App Store only helped developers in the line of death have a massive comeback and become very, very successful.

WiiU is very likely going to bomb comercially, and that is not to blame on Nintendo, but in Apple, only them can creat a product that versatile than can appeal to casuals and core gamers in a way no one can, it's incredible someone can add so much to the industry, and kill and business that has been living for years, we should applaud Apple for their incredible efford and dedication. Not even Nintendo has done so much for the industry, Apple and iPad are here to stay, wether many people like that or not, and it's a shame many people will not accept that tablet's superiority.

So what do you think? Will Apple and iPad eventually overtake Nintendo and others? Will they put competitors out of business? Post your opinions here.

Around the Network

Ya i don't think that they will. Yes i don't think the wii u will do that great because I do not really think that it will be that far ahead of current gen consoles. I do play games on my iPad but it can never replace how i feel about playing games on a home console. Home console gaming is far superior imo.

Tablets (and smart phones) thus far have not shown any indication of being decent as gaming machines. The control schemes are lacking and the libraries are practically non-existant.

The iPad is a good tablet, that doesn't make it a good gaming machine.

Wii U is very likely going to bomb? I think you are being too dramatic

The 3DS situation has proven that current Nintendo management has back up plans for differing scenarios. despite the name change to 3DS, they did not take a huge leap imo away from the DS. I don't think Wii U is meant to take a huge leap either, but rather meld into the next generation of tablet based console gaming, hence the Wii name will still be in the new console name, much like DS was still in 3DS.

Considering the 3DS situation, there is now way Nintendo is not going to plan for the worst despite expecting the best.

This iPad...so it really is a relevant gaming handheld. Interesting, then it shall win 8th and 9th gen.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

Do you want to know what I felt while reading that entire topic?

Well I'll tell you what I felt Moreno.

I felt... pride. Not exactly sure why yet...

Wow, Moreno. I think you are 100% correct. I can't believe this hasn't dawned on everyone by now. I've read similar opinions in the mainstream media and just disregarded them as rubbish, but when you step back, look at the big picture, and actually take the time to read between the lines, you make a lot of sense.

So I've read a bunch of thoughts trying to point to this, but when you got to the part where you said that developers would put their console games on tablets and that they will have more affordable price tags I tuned out. Why would games in the near future be priced lower on tablets than they would on home consoles? Tablets are a new market, prices are sitting outside of what they typically are, not sure why but it won't last. Consoles will adapt better digital distribution methods that will bring everything into sync.

Personally controls can be worked around with an external controller, bluetooth style perhaps. But I still prefer hooking a console up to a tv, though I wouldn't be against one of the current console makers to make a tablet console that has video out and portable multi-functionality, but will technology be able to keep shrinking like that? We have battery size limitations that could put a real dent in future superiority of handheld devices. We could have tablet consoles that you plug into an external adapter for home use though. But on the go it might be best not to play demanding games with it.

Since Apple is the biggest tablet company now, they could get into the gaming industry full swing, but I think we'd see the current game console makers enter with their own multi-tasking machines and Apple will no longer be king. The industries are merging, not shifting.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

you're a dumbass

This post has been moderated ~ Barozi

No they won't. Why would I want to play a shitty $2 with just touch controls on an 8 inch screen when I could play a great game like GTAV on a 50+ inch screen with a proper controller in 1080p?

Tablets will not kill home consoles, and cell phones will not kill dedicated handheld consoles.

As for the OP, it's too late at night so TL;DR...so I didn't see the reasoning for your prediction.