By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We Gave People an iPad 2, Told Them It Was the New iPad, and They Loved It

DirtyP2002 said:
rocketpig said:
Galaki said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I lol'd about the resolution does matter, because you are closer to it. So much freaking nonsense.
I use my Laptop (17.3 ") with a 1600 x 900 resolution and never ever felt like "Damn, I hate those pixels!"

Now you are trying to tell me that a 2048 x 1536 resolution on a 9.7" screen is the new hotness?!
You must go crazy over the Nokia cellphone with a 41megapixel camera, right?

I am a tech-geek and an early adopter, but I am reasonable enough to see where a company is just trying to sell me something that is totally useless. Samsung Galaxy S2 comes with a 1080p screen. Just as useful as the resolution of the new iPad.

You should try viewing at closer range to see the difference. The other posters told me so.

Instead of spouting ignorant opinions that are flat-out wrong, one of you could try Googling it to see why you're wrong. A novel concept for a forum poster, I know, but you may actually end up learning something and next time or have a correct answer for someone with a question. Or maybe save someone a few minutes explaining something to you that you should have learned already. Here, I'll even help you with the first step.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=dpi+viewing+&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=dpi+viewing+distance

Did you read my post? Do you think the viewing distance is dramatically different from my laptop to my tablet? If so, you are wrong.

Yeah... You're still wrong. The view difference between a tablet and laptop is larger than you think. A tablet is around 18" while a laptop can be as much as 3 feet. Quick math tells me that is up to a 100% increase in viewing distance. Besides, should we stop introducing new tech because your laptop screen is kinda shitty and you're okay with that? Some of us aren't okay with the current tech available. As a digital artist, I've wanted to see these high res screens for years and I'm excited to FINALLY see them on the market. They will make my job easier and my work better.

Here is a really good article on high ppi screen tech and why it matters. http://www.kybervision.com/Blog/files/AppleRetinaDisplay.html

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
DirtyP2002 said:
rocketpig said:
Galaki said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I lol'd about the resolution does matter, because you are closer to it. So much freaking nonsense.
I use my Laptop (17.3 ") with a 1600 x 900 resolution and never ever felt like "Damn, I hate those pixels!"

Now you are trying to tell me that a 2048 x 1536 resolution on a 9.7" screen is the new hotness?!

I am a tech-geek and an early adopter, but I am reasonable enough to see where a company is just trying to sell me something that is totally useless. Samsung Galaxy S2 comes with a 1080p screen. Just as useful as the resolution of the new iPad.

You should try viewing at closer range to see the difference. The other posters told me so.

Instead of spouting ignorant opinions that are flat-out wrong, one of you could try Googling it to see why you're wrong. A novel concept for a forum poster, I know, but you may actually end up learning something and next time or have a correct answer for someone with a question. Or maybe save someone a few minutes explaining something to you that you should have learned already. Here, I'll even help you with the first step.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=dpi+viewing+&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=dpi+viewing+distance

Did you read my post? Do you think the viewing distance is dramatically different from my laptop to my tablet? If so, you are wrong.

Yeah... You're still wrong. The view difference between a tablet and laptop is larger than you think. A tablet is around 18" while a laptop can be as much as 3 feet. Quick math tells me that is up to a 100% increase in viewing distance. Besides, should we stop introducing new tech because your laptop screen is kinda shitty and you're okay with that? Some of us aren't okay with the current tech available. As a digital artist, I've wanted to see these high res screens for years and I'm excited to FINALLY see them on the market. They will make my job easier and my work better.

Here is a really good article on high ppi screen tech and why it matters. http://www.kybervision.com/Blog/files/AppleRetinaDisplay.html

yeah you are right and i really don't understand how he can say that as  "tech-geek" because he should clearly see that the new ipad 3 screen is much better than the old one. just read an ebook onthe ipad 2 and one day later on the ipad 3 and tell that you don't need a higher res screen. you won't go back to the ipad 2 then!

as long as you never see a better tech it's all ok, i could still live with my mobilephone from 2000 and i wouldn't have a problem with that screen if i wouldn't know the galaxy s 2 and other ones.

and taling about the 42mp cam in the nokia, why shouldn't i need it if the cam is good? i could crop the photo a lot then without losing quality. it's like a big zoom then even without a zoom. only one small part of the photo is relevant? just cut the rest away and don't get a pixelated picture after doing it.

rocketpig said:
DirtyP2002 said:
rocketpig said:
Galaki said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Who on Earth sits that far away from a laptop screen? Even on my desktop I'm no more than 2 feet away from a 24" screen!

Scoobes said:
rocketpig said:

Who on Earth sits that far away from a laptop screen? Even on my desktop I'm no more than 2 feet away from a 24" screen!

Okay, first off I said "up to 36 inches" compared to a quite generous figure of 18" for the tablet distance. I just measured everything in my house relating to viewing distance.

My HTC Inspire (4.3" screen) is usually 10-14" away from my face when I use it.

My Kindle (B&W version) sits in the same region as my phone.

My iPad is no closer than 12" and no further than 19" when I use it. If I'm reading, it's usually in the 12-15" range (or about mid-chest level).

My laptop screen (15.4", 1680 res) is no closer than 22" and no further than 34" when I'm reclining.  If I'm working, it's in the ~25" distance.

My desktop (27" screen) sits around 32" from my face and that feels really close. If my desk was larger, I'd actually move that back a few inches.

My 42" 1080p television is about 8 feet away from my face.

My point still stands. A laptop screen is going to be somewhere between 50-100% further away than a tablet screen, meaning the ppi for the tablet is going to have to be considerably higher to achieve the same visual fidelity.

rocketpig said:
Scoobes said:
rocketpig said:

Okay, first off I said "up to 36 inches" compared to a quite generous figure of 18" for the tablet distance. I just measured everything in my house relating to viewing distance.

My iPad is no closer than 12" and no further than 19" when I use it. If I'm reading, it's usually in the 12-15" range (or about mid-chest level).

My laptop screen (15.4", 1680 res) is no closer than 22" and no further than 34" when I'm reclining.  If I'm working, it's in the ~25" distance.

My desktop (27" screen) sits around 32" from my face and that feels really close. If my desk was larger, I'd actually move that back a few inches.

My point still stands. A laptop screen is going to be somewhere between 50-100% further away than a tablet screen, meaning the ppi for the tablet is going to have to be considerably higher to achieve the same visual fidelity.

I can't believe you made some numbers up to prove your point.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
rocketpig said:
Scoobes said:
rocketpig said:

And you're the reason I bailed on this forum. You have absolutely nothing to add to the conversation. You're not interested in debating with facts, logical analyses, or data, you just want to say "I'm right herpity derp!" and move on to the next thread. Seriously, why the fuck are you even here?

rocketpig said:
DirtyP2002 said:
rocketpig said:
Scoobes said:
rocketpig said:

And you're the reason I bailed on this forum. You have absolutely nothing to add to the conversation. You're not interested in debating with facts, logical analyses, or data, you just want to say "I'm right herpity derp!" and move on to the next thread. Seriously, why the fuck are you even here?

what do you want to discuss here? That the "gap" between you Laptop and iPad gets as low as 3" and even though the Laptop has a larger screen you are very happy that you now have the much higher resolution on a much smaller !? That is what every 14 years old digital artist needs.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

what do you want to discuss here? That the "gap" between you Laptop and iPad gets as low as 3" and even though the Laptop has a larger screen you are very happy that you now have the much higher resolution on a much smaller !? That is what every 14 years old digital artist needs.

Sure, the gap between the two can get small but in typical use situations, the laptop is around 75-100% further away. Screen size is irrelevant. We're talking about pixel density and viewing distance. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make but I also want a higher pixel density on my laptop. Laptop manufacturers don't really offer anything higher than the 130ppi I have on my 15.4" screen. Still, at that distance, 130ppi is pretty good. My laptop screen is super-crisp and I'm glad I spent the extra money on the higher resolution screen. It improves my working experience but it'd be nicer if it was a little higher and I certainly wouldn't want to use something around 100ppi, which is what your screen offers.

You may not notice the difference. That's fine, not everybody uses a computer for the same tasks nor do they need the same feature set. But you didn't say "I don't care". You said "it doesn't matter" and that the tech is "useless", which is patently untrue. That's what I'm arguing here, an argument whose point you seem incapable of grasping.

As for the bolded, I don't even understand what 14 year old digital artists have to do with this conversation.

maybe he just want to say that you are not an digital artist or you aren't 14. no clue, in other countries, they work earlier ;)

but i still don't understand why dirtyp2002 believes that a screen with more ppi than the ipad 2 has won't improve the experience for his eyes. the ipad 2 has 130 ppi or so and this is clearly not the best for the viewing distance you use an ipad. it's not a picture on the wall...

i believe i've read sometimes that the human eye would only not see a difference anymore with over ~340ppi if you look from 25cm distance (which was meant as distance for reading)

crissindahouse said:
but i still don't understand why dirtyp2002 believes that a screen with more ppi than the ipad 2 has won't improve the experience for his eyes. the ipad 2 has 130 ppi or so and this is clearly not the best for the viewing distance you use an ipad. it's not a picture on the wall...

It happens in every Apple thread ever created on the internet. You can set your watch to this type of post; it's that bloody consistent. No matter how good an idea it is, there are people who will claim the feature is useless simply because the product has a piece of fruit on the back of the case. Of course, there are plenty of Apple zealots who do the exact opposite. Every last one of them is insufferable, really.

Retina displays are not the most important innovation in the history of computing. Some people will either not care or are too blind to tell the difference in ppi. But it is an important step forward in computing. Higher quality screens improve the user experience in a plethora of ways and we should be embracing this technological shift, not mocking it. Because, no matter your opinion on the subject, everybody is going to be transitioning to these screens in the next 12-24 months. But hey, maybe the detractors in this thread are simply smarter than the heads of R&D at Samsung, Apple, Motorola, etc.