By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are too many Americans just using their PS3 as a Blu-ray player?

You also had a similar situation with a small but notable portion of PS2 owners using it primarily as a DVD player last gen.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
cmeese47 said:
cmeese47 said:
Well there have been some logical arguments made on this thread, which is a nice change.

I would tend to agree that gamers have different preferences and that the divide for PS3 vs 360 on Mass Effect probably can be attributed to the PS3 missing Mass Effect.

In addition, I was surprised to see that the PS3 attach rate is so high and with the large amount of exclusives on the system it is logical that people are spend their gaming budget on a broader spectrum of games than 360 owners.

It would also seem that with hardware sales being as low as they are that people have stopped purchasing the PS3 as primarily a blu-ray player.

It seems that Sony has not attracted the casual soccer moms with the same success as Wii and 360 so that likely explains why the 360 moves a lot more hardware but the software attach rate is slightly higher on the PS3.

It makes sense but it is still quite annoying as a Sony fan to see a great franchises like Mass Effect, Borderlands and Dragon Age sell 1/4th to 1/2 as much as the 360.

I feel this post has been lost in the shuffle. 

Playstation was bulit on Japanese IP's. When you think PS you think Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Tekken ext

JRPG's, Fighters, Racers, platformers and action games were the most dominate genres in the PS1 PS2 age

Western/PC games are more in line with XBOX brand..so if they are western or games that have roots in PC or both they will always sell more on the XBOX . Period.

As for SONY's own IP's. They dont understand their fanbase at all and are making the kinda games that XBOX owners would love..why most of PS fanbase ignores them.

It's not that they don't understand their fanbase... it's that they have a unique problem where their userbase is almost equally split between western gamers who love the CODs Skyrims and Uncharteds, and Japanese / classic gamers that prefer the more old school type stuff, so they basically have to develop two different sets of games for two different sets of audiences.  Nintendo has one main audience to cater to (casuals and families), as does M$ (western core gamers), so neither of them have this problem.  What also hurts Sony more is that since they are no longer the market leader, their console is no longer a one-stop-shop for all your gaming needs like the PS1 & 2 were in the previous gens.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
Xxain said:
cmeese47 said:
cmeese47 said:
Well there have been some logical arguments made on this thread, which is a nice change.

I would tend to agree that gamers have different preferences and that the divide for PS3 vs 360 on Mass Effect probably can be attributed to the PS3 missing Mass Effect.

In addition, I was surprised to see that the PS3 attach rate is so high and with the large amount of exclusives on the system it is logical that people are spend their gaming budget on a broader spectrum of games than 360 owners.

It would also seem that with hardware sales being as low as they are that people have stopped purchasing the PS3 as primarily a blu-ray player.

It seems that Sony has not attracted the casual soccer moms with the same success as Wii and 360 so that likely explains why the 360 moves a lot more hardware but the software attach rate is slightly higher on the PS3.

It makes sense but it is still quite annoying as a Sony fan to see a great franchises like Mass Effect, Borderlands and Dragon Age sell 1/4th to 1/2 as much as the 360.

I feel this post has been lost in the shuffle. 

Playstation was bulit on Japanese IP's. When you think PS you think Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Tekken ext

JRPG's, Fighters, Racers, platformers and action games were the most dominate genres in the PS1 PS2 age

Western/PC games are more in line with XBOX brand..so if they are western or games that have roots in PC or both they will always sell more on the XBOX . Period.

As for SONY's own IP's. They dont understand their fanbase at all and are making the kinda games that XBOX owners would love..why most of PS fanbase ignores them.

It's not that they don't understand their fanbase... it's that they have a unique problem where their userbase is almost equally split between western gamers who love the CODs Skyrims and Uncharteds, and Japanese / classic gamers that prefer the more old school type stuff, so they basically have to develop two different sets of games for two different sets of audiences.  Nintendo has one main audience to cater to (casuals and families), as does M$ (western core gamers), so neither of them have this problem.  What also hurts Sony more is that since they are no longer the market leader, their console is no longer a one-stop-shop for all your gaming needs like the PS1 & 2 were in the previous gens.

They have not done much to focus on their Classic fanbase at all this generation. They could fix this problem by having the western studios appeal to western crowd and having  having SONY  Japan studios focus on japanese titles..which they havent. They have not bought any japanese studios, and have built not studios for quality japnaese gaming, nope nothing.

Now wait a minute fellas! This PS3 device also plays games?! Never in all my 21 years have I...

Seriously though, my personal situation is:

Have both a PS3 and 360, but seeing how I prefer playing on the 360, that's what I buy all my multiplats for.

Sal.Paradise said:
sergiodaly said:
well... according to the site you are posting; PS3 as a tie ratio of games per console in NA of 10,66 gpc (games per console) while XB360 as 10,5 gpc in NA, just a bit less.
in the PS3 department NA is their strongest area, europe lags at 7,13 , japan sits at 5,42 and the rest of the world has a healthy 9,56...
so all your arguments are strange... why did you mention PS3, why do you mention NA... NA is the best zone and PS3 has healthy tie ratios for the size of user base...

Where are these figures from? I can't find them, I'd be very interested in reading the article/stats. Thanks. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/Tie-Ratio/Global/

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Sal.Paradise said:
sergiodaly said:
well... according to the site you are posting; PS3 as a tie ratio of games per console in NA of 10,66 gpc (games per console) while XB360 as 10,5 gpc in NA, just a bit less.
in the PS3 department NA is their strongest area, europe lags at 7,13 , japan sits at 5,42 and the rest of the world has a healthy 9,56...
so all your arguments are strange... why did you mention PS3, why do you mention NA... NA is the best zone and PS3 has healthy tie ratios for the size of user base...

Where are these figures from? I can't find them, I'd be very interested in reading the article/stats. Thanks. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/40979/USA/

On the right side of this page you will find the hardware and software totals for the individual systems, I am sure you know how to calculate the tie ratio.

Other regions can be selected at the top of the page.

no need... there is a section in this site with all done for you... read my previous post!

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

I dunno.

I'm not American, but the only Blu-ray I own is MGS4.

cmeese47 said:

Those are all American style games. People buy 360's because they love American style games and those are the biggest hits on the system. Not that PS3 owners can't enjoy American games and 360 owners can't enjoy non American style games. But in general the 360 fan base is in love with American style games, as opposed to the typical PS3 owner(even in America) that is more into a variety of styles of games. I think this will show true across the board as you look at games of different genre's and styles.  

cmeese47 said:
sergiodaly said:

We PS3 had a ton of exclusives last year which probably helped increase the attach rate. But I am more concerned with huge discrepancies on games like Borderlands etc that thrive on 360 in American but falter on PS3.

But maybe Sony just has to many games.

Borderlands is a new IP and its a shooter. It thrived on the Xbox 360 because of this.
I dont' see how this game is supposed to prove anything.

Like Ethomaz pointed out, the attach ratio per PS3 is higher than on Xbox 360 in America.(by a small margin)
This proves that no, people aren't using their PS3s purely as a Blu-Ray player, they are actually out there buying games in America.

pezus said:
SamuelRSmith said:
I dunno.

I'm not American, but the only Blu-ray I own is MGS4.

But you have 36 PS3 games in your profile??

I'd assume he's having a little jab at the length of the cutscenes in the game.