By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are too many Americans just using their PS3 as a Blu-ray player?

I thought someone bumped an old thread from 2007...

Using this as the reason why Mass Effect is more popular on 360 is really weak, and adding Resistance is even worse.

Around the Network

I can't believe anyone would be that stupid. Who needs to buy a cd player for their house, just buy a ferrari, place it in your living room and use the inbuilt cd player...

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/Tie-Ratio/Global/ shows that the PS3 is selling games very well for its hardware sales, MS consoles just happen to sell more.

i believe not only are there different kind of games selling different on ps3 and 360 i believe that 360 games are very front loaded selling huge numbers the first days but sales shrinking on 360 much more then the weeks after.

Without Mass Effect 1 its pointless to start the series imo. I am not surprised about how Mass Effect does on PS3.

Ok, in my case the answer is yes I am using my PS3 as a Blu-ray player, for lack of time, not lack of games... but I think I can show you other possibility.

I just got my PS3 (3 months ago), I am not going to buy anything new, I have a big catalog of old and cheap games to play, why will I expend 60 dollars on ME3, if for that amount I can get 3 great if old games? My next purchases for my PS3 (in april) will be 3 games all of them old (and with those I will reach the average attach rate of 10 games), but I will not expend in any new games.

That is another option, many people are getting the console now that is cheap but they are not buying the new games because they have many old games to choose from and in some cases they already had a 360 and they already selected that one as their main console and are only using the PS3 for a few purchases that they cannot get in their 360.

Around the Network

too many pages to read to see whether anyone's done the math. So apologies if it's alreay been said.

LTD Hardware 360:PS3 sales ratio = 1.65
LTD Software 360:PS3 sales ratio = 1.64

So the answer clearly is no. Americans aren't just using their PS3 to watch Blu ray movies, because on a per unit basis PS3 is selling almost the same number of games as 360.

Also PS3 tie ratio in the USA is higher than PS3 tie ratio anywhere else, so if anything it's the rest of the world that is only / primarily using PS3 to watch Blu ray movies.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Mine used to be a Blu-ray player. Now it's a Netflix box.

Edit:

But in all seriousness, American ps3 gamers are buying games.  They just generally have different tastes than 360 gamers.  For example, VGC has every iteration of Street Fighter IV as well as Tekken 6 selling better on ps3 than 360 in the US.  Vanquish also sold better on ps3 than 360.  Resident Evil 5 sold far closer between the two platforms than most action+shooter titles, because of the franchise's history on non-Xbox platforms and its very Japanese style.  Relative to the total install base of each console in the Americas, these are all example of games that were more popular on ps3 than 360.

One could single out the incredibly weak sales of Mass Effect on ps3 relative to its 360 counterpart, but that is due to the franchise's history on the 360 and its genre.  Final Fantasy XIII-2's sales, on the other hand, are quite strong on ps3 relative to 360 for similar reasons.

axumblade said:
With Resistance, there were rumors Insomniac were dropping the franchise before it was even released. I think it just became too much of an uphill battle due to reviews of Resistance 2. Which is kind of saddening considering Resistance 2 isn't bad, it's just kind of....mediocre.

I am confused here considering Resistance 2 has a 87 score on Metacritic which means it almost universally seen as a great game. 

No i play my PS3 the most nowdays. The 360 hasen't had a good line up for years now, and yet Sony still pumps them out like hotcakes. 

Netyaroze said:
Without Mass Effect 1 its pointless to start the series imo. I am not surprised about how Mass Effect does on PS3.

Not for those of us who don't care about the original. I own the original on the Xbox and its the only one i hardly go back to. I rather pick the important decisions from the comic in ME2. I disliked ME1 for the most part. Out of all 3 it had the worst characters save Garrus, Wrex, & Liara  & the worst combat. Those Mako missions were also a complete drag. The comic in ME2 basicaly covers every important decision you need from Mass Effect 1. All that other crap is useless and doesn't really mean anything in Mass Effect 2. I first played ME2 on the Xbox and i imported my save from ME1, hardly anything really important transferred besides that black cop lady i helped on Noveria popping up on Illium and that was it. ME1 did not have much of a huge impact in ME2's campaign as ME2's had on ME3's campaign and its characters.

Hellstrom said:

No i play my PS3 the most nowdays. The 360 hasen't had a good line up for years now, and yet Sony still pumps them out like hotcakes. 

Netyaroze said:

Not for those of us who don't care about the original. I own the original on the Xbox and its the only one i hardly go back to. I rather pick the important decisions from the comic in ME2. I disliked ME1 for the most part. Out of all 3 it had the worst characters save Garrus, Wrex, & Liara  & the worst combat. Those Mako missions were also a complete drag. The comic in ME2 basicaly covers every important decision you need from Mass Effect 1. All that other crap is useless and doesn't really mean anything in Mass Effect 2. I first played ME2 on the Xbox and i imported my save from ME1, hardly anything really important transferred besides that black cop lady i helped on Noveria popping up on Illium and that was it. ME1 did not have much of a huge impact in ME2's campaign as ME2's had on ME3's campaign and its characters.

Ironically, ME1 has a much bigger impact on ME3 than it did ME2.